• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Starting Over

P

Priam_Sonoma

I would like to be able to defend myself in the game and have fun like I used to. There was a time that I could hang with anyone (PvE) and have a chance at surviving. Now, I am getting two and three shotted by monsters that should not be killing me. I have been out of the game for about five years, but still I should be able to play decently.

Looking at my characters, I see many reasons why I have been having problems the last couple of days. I need help evaluating and reconstructing my characters. I also have an advanced character token to burn if I should have to completely start over.

Here is what I have right now. Any secondary number means I have used a power scroll already. ie: 100/110 means I have the 110 PS read already.

Faramir (rolleyes:name change soon)
Chiv/Archer

90 Str (97 hp)
125 Dex
40 Int

Resists: Phys 70, Fire 42, Cold 52, Poison 50, Energy 46

117/120 Archer
110 Tactics
110 Anatomy
68.4/110 Resist
86.5/100 Healing
90 Focus (locked)
80 Chivalry (locked)

-------------------------------

Gamble (a.k.a. The 27 Death Punching Bag)
Mage/T Hunter

95 Str (97 Hp)
33 Dex
107 Mana

Resists: Phys 54, Fire 22, Cold 42, Poison 33, Energy 24 :lame:

110 Magery
110 Meditation
105.4/110 Eval Int
100 Cart
100 Lockpick
100 Fishing
74.4 Hiding

------------------------

I am not adverse to stoning my T hunter skills to make Gamble a stronger caster/mage.

Right now though, I am running Gamble and he is simply getting his butt kicked. I am afraid of Imps for god's sake.

Any thoughts, imput would be appreciated. Criticism is fine, it can't be any worse than it already is.

Quenchant

Seasoned Veteran
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Part of it is you could use some stat scrolls, but the main issues are your suits resists. As a starting point you should concentrate on getting 60 - 70 in each resist category. You can look to add mods later. This will at least give you the ability to survive the initial onslaught of 3 spells from 1.5 screens away that seem to all hit within a couple seconds.

PM me. I'll be happy to put together a starter suit for you, that you can trade between characters for now. It probably won't be anything fancy, but I'm sure I can put together a decent suit with appropriate jewels for one of your templates.

PS... For PvM you really don't need resisting spells if you have decent resists on your suit. Yes they will paralyze you. They then hit so fast that it breaks the paralyze spell. Even at 120 resist you will still get poisoned by an imp 50% of the time. (That is a guesstimate, but it is annoying that an imp with 70 magery can poison someone with 120 resisting spells)

Q

Balinor of Pk?

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
aaa
[QUOTEPriam_Sonoma;741794]
Faramir (rolleyes:name change soon)
Chiv/Archer

Lower your dex some and put it into str. I wont pvm or pvp without 120 str. You can also raise your str with items that increase hp's... Try to get as high of str/dex with items while keeping 60's to 70's resists as you, also mana regen and hp regen on your suit is GREAT.

90 Str (97 hp)
125 Dex
40 Int

Resists: Phys 70, Fire 42, Cold 52, Poison 50, Energy 46

117/120 Archer
110 Tactics
110 Anatomy
68.4/110 Resist
86.5/100 Healing
90 Focus (locked)
80 Chivalry (locked)

That's not a bad template, Once you're trained up more I'd drop that focus and get as much mana regen items/suit pieces as you can and still keep high resists on your suit. With enough mana regen you can replace that 90 focus easily. Apply that to all your suits in different combinations based on what you need for the character...

-------------------------------

Gamble (a.k.a. The 27 Death Punching Bag)
Mage/T Hunter

95 Str (97 Hp)
33 Dex
107 Mana

Resists: Phys 54, Fire 22, Cold 42, Poison 33, Energy 24 :lame:

110 Magery
110 Meditation
105.4/110 Eval Int
100 Cart
100 Lockpick
100 Fishing
74.4 Hiding

------------------------

Make him a damn tamer/mage/thunter. Then you don't need to have high resists. Just eat everything with your pets. Easy. :)

I am not adverse to stoning my T hunter skills to make Gamble a stronger caster/mage.

Right now though, I am running Gamble and he is simply getting his butt kicked. I am afraid of Imps for god's sake.

Any thoughts, imput would be appreciated. Criticism is fine, it can't be any worse than it already is.[/QUOTE]

P

Priam_Sonoma

Thank you both for your input. I am trying to understand the game now. It appears Ultima Online copied WoW and went item heavy. *shrug*

Miri of Sonoma

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Back less than a week and stressed already!! You need to think like a newbie for a while. It takes time to get back into the swing of things. :) Patience isnt one of the virtues but it should be!

I can help you out with some armor and weapons..if I ever see you. I sent you a pm with my icq

Strength and Honor
Miri

P

Priam_Sonoma

It honestly may not matter. I am not sure if I want to stay. I will look at the game in the next few days. Some of this seems broken IMO. I have died easily 30+ times today. Rediculous considering how cautious of a player I am.

Quenchant

Seasoned Veteran
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just try one of the suits Miri or I offered. Take the suit and play for a day or two and you will immediately see the difference. Make your evaluation about staying, after you have put on a new suit of armour.

+1 on what Balinor said about strength. I usually can't get to 120, but I set it on all my chars (even mules) at 105, and try get the Hit points increased with items.

While I agree the game might / does seem broken. It will never be the UO you remembered. However, I think you can still find some fun in the game.

Q

S

Salty Pete

It honestly may not matter. I am not sure if I want to stay. I will look at the game in the next few days. Some of this seems broken IMO. I have died easily 30+ times today. Rediculous considering how cautious of a player I am.
Once you get a decent set of gear and learn the current AI the game is just as easy as ever honestly. It just takes a while to unlearn the old stuff and relearn the new stuff.

There is very little I am comfortable with in the AoS system when it comes to combat. I tend to use a lot of summons and pets rather than try to tank with my characters.

Black Majick

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Check your PM and then contact me. I can hook you up with some gear and advice. Always willing to help out returning vets who are not asshats.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
drop me a line.
i love watching people die to small furry animals.

seriouslly..... im not offering you anything, but id love to come watch you play.

ill just cruise around behind you and yell annoying stuff.
missinformation and giggle at you as you play.

all right.
fine!

ill watch you and give you good information.
*sigh*

D

Dor of Sonoma

drop me a line.
i love watching people die to small furry animals.

seriouslly..... im not offering you anything, but id love to come watch you play.

ill just cruise around behind you and yell annoying stuff.
missinformation and giggle at you as you play.

all right.
fine!

ill watch you and give you good information.
*sigh*
*laughs*

Oh how I have missed you, Poo! :-D

Lord Hunter

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Poo! What time does the AoE group ussualy get online?

I keep logging on and I seem to miss everyone by like minutes!

I miss you guys.

The Dread Red Music Man is looking for some action!