• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

*Spoilers* A Guide for the Thepem and Zosilem Quests *Spoilers*

Stranger

Lord of the Dance
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've never done a guide like this before so I hope it's not too bad. The guide is not complete yet but I am trying my best. :)

Thepem and Zosilem are found in the alchemist shop in the Royal city.

You will not be able to get any of Zosilem's quests until you complete 5 of Thepem's Tier 2 quests.

To advance the Tier you must complete a specific amount of quests:

Thepem Tier 1 - No requirements.
Thepem Tier 2 - Complete 5 of Thepem's Tier 1 quests.
(Note: Thepem only has 2 Tiers.)

Zosilem Tier 1 - Complete 5 of Thepems Tier 2 quests.
Zosilem Tier 2 - Complete 10 of Zosilem's Tier 1 quests.
Zosilem Tier 3 - Complete 20 of Zosilem's Tier 2 quests.

All of these quests are repeatable but you must wait a certain amount of time after completing a quest before you can get it again.

The cooldowns are as follows:

Tier 1 - 30 minutes.
Tier 2 - 2 hours.
Tier 3 - 24 hours.

Thepem - Tier 1

All That Glitters
Objective: Obtain 5 congealed slug acid and 1 pile of inspected gold ingots.

The congealed slug acid
can be found on the corpses of acid slugs in the Underworld.

To get the pile of inspected gold ingots
hand Thepem 20 gold ingots.

(Note: You can give the ingots to either Thepem or Zosilem. If one of them doesn't work try the other one.)

Reward: 1 Elixir of Gold Coversion

This item turns up to 500 dull copper ingots into 500 gold ingots.
Tasty Treats
Objective: Obtain 5 boura skins and 1 dough.

The boura skins
can be found on the corpses of ruddy boura, lowland boura, and high plains boura found around Ter-Mur.

Dough
can be crafted with the cooking skill. It requires flour, water, and a cooking tool.

Reward: 1 Tasty Treat

This item is for pets only. It increases their stats by 5% for 20 minutes. It has a 2 minute cooldown.

Thepem - Tier 2

Metal Head
Objective: Obtain 10 undamaged iron beetle scales, 1 pile of inspected dull copper ingots, 1 pile of inspected shadow ingots, 1 pile of inspected copper ingots, and 1 pile of inspected bronze ingots.

The undamaged iron beetle scales
can be found on the corpses of iron beetles in the Underworld.

To get the piles of inspected dull copper, shadow, copper, and bronze ingots hand 20 of each type of ingot to Thepem or Zosilem.

Reward: 1 Elixir of Metal Conversion

This item is currently believed to convert up to 500 iron ingots into either dull copper, shadow, copper, or bronze ingots. (It's random which one you get.)
Pink is the New Black
Objective: Obtain 5 seared fire ant goo and 1 pile of inspected agapite ingots.

The seared fire ant goo
can be found on the corpses of fire ants in the Abyss.

They are a part of the mini-champ system and only spawn during the first level. If you see lava serpents, hellhounds, fire daemons, lava elementals, efreets, or gargoyles you will have to work the spawn and defeat the renowned creature in order to restart the spawn and get the fire ants to spawn again. The fire ants spawn at three mini-champ locations. The Lava Caldera, Fire Temple Ruins, and Crimson Veins.

To get the pile of inspected agapite ingots hand Thepem 20 agapite ingots.

(Note: You can give the ingots to either Thepem or Zosilem. If one of them doesn't work try the other one.)

Reward: 1 Elixir of Agapite Conversion

This item turns up to 500 shadow ingots into 500 agapite ingots.

Zosilem - Tier 1

Dabbling on the Dark Side
Objective: Obtain 5 boura skins, 10 fairy dragon wings, and 1 dough.

The boura skins
can be found on the corpses of ruddy boura, lowland boura, and high plains boura found around Ter-Mur.

The fairy dragon wings
can be found on the corpses of fairy dragons in the Abyss.

They are a part of the mini-champ system and only spawn during the first level. If you see wyverns or forgotten servants you will have to work the spawn and defeat the renowned creature in order to restart the spawn and get the fairy dragons to spawn again. The fairy dragons spawn outside the Stygian Dragon's lair.

Dough
can be crafted with the cooking skill. It requires flour, water, and a cooking tool.

Reward: 2 Deliciously Tasty Treats

This item is for pets only. It increases their stats by 10% for 10 minutes. It has a 60 minute cooldown.
The Brainy Alchemist
Objective: Obtain 1 arcane gem, 10 undamaged undead gargoyle horns, 1 inspected keg of total refreshment, and 1 inspected keg of greater poison.

The arcane gem
can be found on various monsters in Ilshenar and other places. These monsters include Controllers, Exodus Minions, Exodus Overseers, Golems, Juka Lords, and Juka Mages.

The undamaged undead gargoyle horns
can be found on the corpses of undead gargoyles in the medusa's lair. They will start as petrified statues and cannot be damaged. Attacking Medusa will release them and allow you to kill them.

To get the inspected kegs of total refreshment and greater poison
you will need to hand a full keg of each to Zosilem.

Kegs can be crafted with the carpentry and tinkering skills. Alchemists can fill the kegs.

Reward: 1 Infused Alchemist's Gem

This item increases your alchemy skill.

(Fun Fact!: I had to enter Medusa's lair 15 times and kill aproximently 32 undead gargoyles to get the 10 horns.)

Zosilem - Tier 2

Armor Up
Objective: Obtain 5 boura skins, 10 undamaged iron beetle scales, and 10 leather wolf skins.

The boura skins

The undamaged iron beetle scales
can be found on the corpses of iron beetles in the Underworld.

The leather wolf skins
can be found on the corpses of leather wolves.

The way to get these is to craft a leather wolf with a tinker character and tell it to attack something. It will howl for help and spawn leather wolves. If your not powerful enough to kill anything tell your leather wolf to kill its friends (It's sad, I know) and loot their corpses. If your leather wolf gets hurt you can heal it with tinkering by selecting repair item from the tinker menu and clicking the wolf.
To craft a leather wolf you will first need to read the mechanical life manual. You can obtain it by doing Sutek the Mage's quest 'Perfect Timing' in the Cavern of the Discarded. Then you will need 1 clockwork assembly
, 1 power crystal
, and 2 void essence
. This will create a leather wolf assembly
. You will need 100 leather
to use it and create your leather wolf.

Reward: 1 Vial of Armor Essence

This item is for pets only. It gives them Damage Absorption 10% for 10 minutes. It has a 2 hour cooldown.
To Turn Base Metal Into Verite
Objective: Obtain 5 undead gargoyle medallions and 1 pile of inspected verite ingots.

The undead gargoyle medallions
can be found on the corpses of undead gargoyles in the medusa's lair. They will start as petrified statues and cannot be damaged. Attacking Medusa will release them and allow you to kill them.

To get the pile of inspected verite ingots hand Zosilem 20 verite ingots.

Reward: 1 Elixir of Verite Conversion

This item turns up to 500 copper ingots into 500 verite ingots.

Zosilem - Tier 3

Pure Valorite
Objective: Obtain 5 infused glass staves and 1 pile of inspected valorite ingots.

The infused glass staves
can be found on the corpses of putrid undead gargoyles?
<picture>

To get the pile of inspected valorite ingots
hand Zosilem 20 valorite ingots.
<picture>

Reward: 1 Elixir of Valorite Conversion

This item turns up to 500 bronze ingots into 500 valorite ingots.
The Forbidden Fruit
Objective: Obtain 5 boura skins, 10 treefellow wood, and 1 dough.

The boura skins

The treefellow wood
can be found on treefellow guardians. These can be found in Northern areas of Ter Mur.

Dough

Reward: 1 Irresistibly Tasty Treat

This item is for pets only. It increases their stats by 15% and their damage by 10% for 10 minutes. It has a 2 hour cooldown.

Stranger

Lord of the Dance
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you everyone for the lovely comments! :)

Edit 1: Added reward pictures and information for The Brainy Alchemist.

Edit 2: Added the repeatable and cooldown information (Thanks Viquire, Maplestone, Uvtha, and Deb)

Edit 3: Added additional information and maps for Pink is the New Black. (Thanks Tina Small)

Edit 4: Removed Thepem's Tier 3 section due to the Stratics HoC response I got from WilkiEA.

<Stranger> I am unable to access Thepem's Tier 3 quests after completing ten of her Tier 2 quests. Is this a known issue and if so when is it going to be fixed?

<WilkiEA> Thepem only has two tiers of quests, but doing quests for Thepem will give you access to Zosilem's quests.

I am sorry for the confusion guys! :(
I figured Thepem had 3 tiers since Percolem and Zosilem both have 3.

Edit 5: Added information that both Thepem and Zosilem will accept the ingots. (Thanks Sarsmi and Connor_Graham.)

Edit 6: Added reward information for Metal Head. (Thanks Lord GOD(GOD))

Edit 7: Added Zosilem's Tier 3 quests.

Edit 8: Updated the Vial of Armor Essence description and picture. Thanks Gelf for pointing out that it had changed!

Edit 9: Changed the quest name "Green With Envy" to the current name "To Turn Base Metal Into Verite". (Thanks Hunter Moon!) I also added pictures to the The Forbidden Fruit quest and added the reward information.

^ It's hard to make a cool fade effect when you have to stay under 50kb :)

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I doubt ill get to teir 3 for zosilem, I just dont care enough to do either of those teir 2 quests 20 times. I do thank you for saving me the time!

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Very nice work... already printed out for reference. Thanks!

Not sure how far into the system I will go since I have little desire to fight Fel-Based champ spawn mobs, but at least it gives some direction after the hunter quest has exhausted itself of enjoyment for a while.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
WOW! OK so these are completely cool for crafters AND tamers, and deco people. So my question is, are they repeatable after you have advanced a character past the tier?

Thank you so much for your hard work. Very nicely done!:thumbup:

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Theres a timer for each tier as well. 30 minutes for the first, 2 hours for the second and 24 hours for the third.

So the 20 it takes to get to teir 3 for the one guy will take ages. I'm just on his teir one, but I don't think ill go on from there.

D

Deb

Awesome job...it does seem he might be a little buggy a friend and i were doing the quest and he would not offer a quest to her after the 2nd time. I got it but she didnt.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Very nice!!!! Now I can make a dent in some of the odds and ends items that are piling up.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can find the fire ants at three of the mini-champ spawns in the Abyss: Lava Caldera (near the exit to the Underworld), Fire Temple Ruins (the one down the steep hill below the pixie and wisp spawn and above the goblin spawn), and the Crimson Veins spawn (near the exit to the Tomb of Kings.

Stranger

Lord of the Dance
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not sure how far into the system I will go since I have little desire to fight Fel-Based champ spawn mobs, but at least it gives some direction after the hunter quest has exhausted itself of enjoyment for a while.
You don't have to fight Fel-Based champ spawn mobs. The creatures you have to kill are in the trammel ruleset.

C

Connor_Graham

I'm trying to do the Tier 1 Thepem quest. I've got the congealed slug acid and the 20 ingots, but after accepting the quest I can't mark the acid as a quest item, nor will Thepem take my 20 gold ingots to change them to "inspected". What is going on here? Why won't it recognize the quest items? Am I missing something?

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm trying to do the Tier 1 Thepem quest. I've got the congealed slug acid and the 20 ingots, but after accepting the quest I can't mark the acid as a quest item, nor will Thepem take my 20 gold ingots to change them to "inspected". What is going on here? Why won't it recognize the quest items? Am I missing something?
You drop the 20 ingots ontop of the Z-name NPC. Zossa...something. He'll turn it into a pile of inspected ingots. Then you make sure the acid is in your main backpack to mark it.

Gantry

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What's up with the tier 2 quest Metal Head? There are 3 iron beetles and they only seem to respawn one time then who knows how long to spwan again from there. A few times went there and no beetles at all. I have killed like 24 beetles and only one scale so far.
It seems the respawn may be bugged or something. Anyone else have this problem or I'm just not having any luck?
Great guide by the way! Thanks

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What's up with the tier 2 quest Metal Head? There are 3 iron beetles and they only seem to respawn one time then who knows how long to spwan again from there. A few times went there and no beetles at all. I have killed like 24 beetles and only one scale so far.
It seems the respawn may be bugged or something. Anyone else have this problem or I'm just not having any luck?
They have a really slow respawn on Baja too it seems. I was trying to catch them in and out of visiting navrey to get the last 2 mysticism spells i needed but the scale drop rate is terrible as well. I'm just going to skip that one and do pink is... to get to the next tier.

Stranger

Lord of the Dance
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ugh, I know. I think it takes around 4 minutes for them to respawn after they are killed. And yes I have noticed sometimes there are no beetles or they will just stop respawning for no reason at all. What I do when this happens is run around killing all the wolf spiders I can see and even the named black spider across the bridge. Then when I go back the iron beetles are usually there again. (Sometimes I even throw items on the ground in their little cave area, spin in circles, throw salt over my shoulder, do a little dance, etc etc.) I'm not really sure if that is actually what is causing it to fix though.

I manage to get 4-9 scales an hour. Yes, an hour. It is painfully slow. It is going to take forever to get to Tier 3. I need like 190 scales. :cursing:

I think the spawn rate and/or the drop rate need to be increased.

C

Connor_Graham

You drop the 20 ingots ontop of the Z-name NPC. Zossa...something. He'll turn it into a pile of inspected ingots. Then you make sure the acid is in your main backpack to mark it.
Hmm. The guide above says to drop it on Thepem. I'll see if I can find this other guy. Do you have any idea why it won't let me mark the acid as a quest item?

nvm. Once you drop the ingots on Zosiman (?) it lets you mark the acid. The guide above needs to be corrected though, since it says to drop the ingots on Thepem.

Stranger

Lord of the Dance
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The guide above needs to be corrected though, since it says to drop the ingots on Thepem.
I just tested it and you can drop the ingots on Thepem or Zosilem. It doesn't matter which one.

Just curious, are you guys using the Enhanced client? I have only done these quests on the Classic client. Are you unable drop the ingots on Thepem if your using the Enhanced client?

I've had no problems marking the congealed slug acid either. I accepted the quest and was able to mark it without having to hand in the ingots. I'd update the guide and give better intructions but I am not able to reproduce this problem. Has anyone else had this issue?

C

Connor_Graham

I just tested it and you can drop the ingots on Thepem or Zosilem. It doesn't matter which one.
It flat out refused to let me drop them on Thepem, but had no issue with Zosilem. I'm using 2D, so there shouldn't be a problem.

Stranger

Lord of the Dance
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ack! I recently found out that Thepem doesn't have a Tier 3! :( *sad*
*looks at the Publish 60 notes again*
There are 6 Tier 3 quests...
Percolem gives 3 of them right?
So Zosilem should have the other 3?

I'll let you guys know as soon as I reach it. But I only have 93 out of the 190 undamaged iron beetle scales right now. So I am still far off from getting this updated. :thumbdown:

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

Just fyi, the reward for Metal Head, lets you convert 500 iron into a randomly selected 500 of one of the 4 you hand in (dc/shadow/copper or bronze).

Edit: & what do you need 190 scales for??? Pink Is the New Black is wayyyy easier.

Stranger

Lord of the Dance
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just fyi, the reward for Metal Head, lets you convert 500 iron into a randomly selected 500 of one of the 4 you hand in (dc/shadow/copper or bronze).
Have you done extensive testing to confirm that? :)
I guess it makes sense...seeing as how another reward gives gold, one gives agapite, and one gives verite.
I have not been able to test it myself though. (Those iron beetle scales are too precious right now!)

Edit: & what do you need 190 scales for??? Pink Is the New Black is wayyyy easier.
Why do I need 190 scales?
Because I am trying to get to Zosilem's Tier 3. One of her Tier 2 quests also requires undamaged iron beetle scales. And I figure they are more reliable to get then the other option.
The other option is to collect undead gargoyle medallions. It takes me about 10 minutes to gather the eggs to enter Medusa's lair. Then theres a random number of gargoyles in there anywhere from 0 to 4. And the drop rate for a medallion seems to be about 20% for me. (33 undead gargoyles killed, 6 medallions.) So I'd be lucky to get 1. And I need 5 per quest. Which would mean having to enter Medusas lair about a gazillion times. Ugh. 190 iron beetle scales plus the the other items or 95 medallions. (I already turned in the medallions once. So I have 19 quests to go.)
There doesn't seem to be an easy way to do this.
Oh, and I already did Pink is the New Black 18 times, then I found out there wasn't a Tier 3 for Thepem. :thumbdown:

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

I wouldn't say extensive. I've done it twice, the first time I got Dull Copper, the second time I got Bronze, then it seemed obvious what was happening. Though I did try to see if it was leveling up say DC into Shadow etc beforehand and it wasn't.

Stranger

Lord of the Dance
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wouldn't say extensive. I've done it twice, the first time I got Dull Copper, the second time I got Bronze, then it seemed obvious what was happening. Though I did try to see if it was leveling up say DC into Shadow etc beforehand and it wasn't.
Well, it makes sense to me. I'll add it to the guide! Thanks! If anyone else notices something different just let me know and I'll change it.

sirion

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
THANK YOU FOR THE GUIDE! VERY WELL WRITTEN!! Now I'll go try some of these quests :D

Stranger

Lord of the Dance
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Time for an update! :thumbup:

After farming the iron beetles for approximately 24 hours, the bouras for about 3 hours, and the leather wolves for 2ish hours, I finally did it!

I've reached Tier 3!!! :)

I will be updating the guide shortly so stay tuned! :thumbsup:

Edit:
In case anyone is curious...
I needed 190 undamaged iron beetle scales, 95 boura skins, and 190 leather wolf skins in order to turn in the 19 Tier 2 quests I needed to advance. (I only did the other Tier 2 quest once for the 20th quest.)
I averaged about 8 iron beetle scales per hour. (It was anywhere from 4-13.)
About 30 boura skins per hour. (I only killed highland bouras.)
And about 90 leather wolf skins per hour. (I used 5 leather wolves.)

Stranger

Lord of the Dance
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Okay, I have run into two small problems! :blushing:
I don't know where to find the requested monsters! :sad3:
Has anyone heard of a treefellow guardian before?
It isn't on the publish 60 notes new creatures list.
How about a putrid undead gargoyle?
Not to be confused with the putrid undead guardian! :lick:

I can't add pictures untill I find these things. Hehe :)

J

Jermosh

I have been looking for them as well, I heard they are part of the new Fel Champ spawn.

Stranger

Lord of the Dance
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have another question. Where is the last Tier 3 quest?
According to the Publish 60 Notes there are 6 Tier 3 quests:
A Valorous Deed
It Makes Me Sick
It’s a Mad, Mad World
Pure Valorite
The Dreamers
The Forbidden Fruit

Percolem offers me 3 of those and Zosilem offers me 2 of them. So who has the last one?
I've sat there clicking both NPCs over and over again and it never popped up.
Have I just been unlucky? The quest system is kinda clunky!
Has anyone gotten the quest I can't seem to get? It's called "A Valorous Deed".

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

Regarding Treefellow Wood, have you tried using Lumberjacking on a normal Treefellow?

Stranger

Lord of the Dance
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Regarding Treefellow Wood, have you tried using Lumberjacking on a normal Treefellow?
I just tried with GM lumberjacking and it said "You can only skin dead creatures." :dunce:
So I killed it...
:eyes:
"You see nothing useful to carve from the corpse."

The quest says "Oh, also, the wood must come from a treefellow guardian. That is important."

I don't think a treefellow and a treefellow guardian are the same thing. :)

If nobody has seen this creature yet maybe it is in the area in Ter-Mur that we can't access yet. The area left of the Royal City? I don't know.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

Have you tried Strongroot? The yellow NPC Treefellow? Perhaps its related.

Stranger

Lord of the Dance
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, I have, but it was a little too strong for my taste. Wait, what? The yellow NPC? Oh yeah I tried to cut him up...he didn't like that. I also tried talking to him and he mumbled his same old gibberish. I can't understand a thing that tree says! I don't think he has anything to do with it.

LordDrago

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Might they be in the area to the South-West that we cannot enter yet (and will probably have to be a gargoyle to enter)?

Stranger

Lord of the Dance
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bump! :)
It's been a month and a half. Has anyone found anything yet? Where are these treefellow guardians? :) And why can't I find the quest A Valorous Deed?

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Doesn't the last spawn level of the champ by Swoop have some type of treefolk spawn. Not sure on their title. I know the paragon bears that spawn at that lvl can be a pain,LOL

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
They spawn in the north east part of ter-mur just before the desert area the spawn time seems real low on them though just got the treefellow wood from one....

A

AtlanteanAngel

Stranger, are you going to add this guide to JC's UOGuide.com and/or Stratics.com? Would be a pity if such good efforts are not immortalized somewhere accessible by all UO players on the internet.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's already on Stratics. Check under the 'Expansions' 'Stygian Abyss' heading in the left hand menu or in the 'Questing' link from the right hand menu.