• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Spellweaving Dexxer?? Questions!

EliteEmpire

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Ive been hearing alot in game since TOL launch about spellweaving dexxers; melee fighters with spellweaving mastery and 4/6 casting. Can anyone explain what the temp looks like and how the gearing and playstyle works? VERY interested in the mechanics. Do i temp out like a 6x120 Leech Paladin only with spellweaving? Or what does the template look like?

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
It varies depending on if you're gearing it towards PvM or PvP, what you're using to heal, and whether you want to play in Protection or not.

Bare minimum the template is 120 Wep, 90 Tactics, 120 Spellweaving. That's literally it, the rest is optional.

It might be more beneficial to explain some of the reasons for playing it... first and foremost the new masteries for it are amazing, they really are good, so good I was considering adding it to every template. You have Mana Shield which lasts 10 minutes, and can be reapplied/refreshed at anytime and gives you a 15% chance to half any incoming damage (including things like firebreath/Minotaur stomps) it drains mana apparently but it's really not a factor at all. Then you can summon a Reaper which takes aggro off of surrounding things by casting Essence Of Wind constantly, and best of all can Word Of Death for you for the standard no SDI 300. Then you can add on your own WOD's on top of that while leeching mana with weapon hits. There are a few others bits n bobs with Spellweaving but mostly in terms of why you should put it on a dexxer that is it. Yeah there's Immolating weapon and whatever else but really you don't put 120 skill points on your character for something about the equivalent of Hit Fireball.

That was all for PvM. If you were talking PvP it's a pretty amazing choke point buster with Thunderstorm, Essence Of Wind, Wildfire, Hit Area and Holy Light you're going to clear the room one way or another, this is a variation I used to play about 6 years ago as a Med/Weaver dexxer with some tweaks it's still got the wtf factor.

EliteEmpire

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
120 Swords
120 Tactics
120 Parrying
120 Bushido
120 Chivalry
120 Spellweaving

So basically this is a classic paladin template only instead of anatomy you've got spell weaving. I don't think gearing changes much from classic leech paladin to this just with 4/6 casting. You would gear it with 8stam 8mi 8lmc resist pieces just like you would a sampire or paladin, and go for the standard suite of combat mods that follow. I picked swords to be able to use double axes for whirlwind and double strike and also the use of parry wielding a 2 hander with bushido and parrying. The weapon would have your standard leech mods just like paladin on these forums.

So basically what I'm thinking of is a 6xPaladin with the exception/addition of 4/6 casting and Spellweaving

Would this template be end game viable? Why or why not? Looking to PVM at very very high levels (spawns, encounters, and shadowguard groups).

Please post thoughts, I am very interested in oppinions

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Would this template be end game viable? Why or why not? Looking to PVM at very very high levels (spawns, encounters, and shadowguard groups).
I'm inclined to say no, not sure I can explain why, it's not particularly high damage, it's dependent on leech, mana and casting which all get blocked very easily at high levels. I think it... lacks a plan B... is probably the best way I can put it.

Apart from spawns... anything can do spawns.

EliteEmpire

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I see.

Well hpmmph.

Im trying to figure out a top end melee build that can tackle roof with a party, encounters, and champ spawns. Info is very scarce thats current, its kinda frustrating.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what kind of template can do these things? Surely theres a best.

Every move you make in UO is a cost. I cant waste gold trying things out and taking a risk of figuring it out myself- i cant theorycraft as well as others. Surely someone on these boards has an idea of what the best is and what direction one should go if they are looking to do end game PVM.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
They're kind of different questions. What's the best Spellweaving dexxer I can make? & What can do roof etc?

Roof can only currently be done with Tamers or a large group, because the devs made every other template non-viable by generating a **** ton of spawn, and various bugs that break the room.

Spawns can be done on pretty much any template they're more low-mid than end game.

Not sure what you mean by encounters, Epic Encounters used to mean something but I've forgotten what, Peerless can (ironically) be solod on most mid level templates. Scalis and the Titan on the Island who's name escapes me at the moment can also be done on most templates. Exodus and Cora can be done on a couple of dexxers. Void Pool is best on Mystics or Necro/Mages. Certain things have anti life leech which again changes what's best for them. Slasher can be done on most Bards/Mystics/Tamers/Dexxers.

The end game template for one thing is often terrible for others.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Surely someone on these boards has an idea of what the best is and what direction one should go if they are looking to do end game PVM.
4/6 Chiv, Throwing, Wammy, Tamer... with Discord or Spellweaving if you can get it. (This would require a massive amount of skill items and gear swapping.)

Val Van Wolf

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Lord God, I always want to play like you do but... Can I do this dexxer spellweaver thing with hiding and stealth. I am not that good at fighting and hiding and stealth has kept me alive through many a giant turtle spawn with my mystic mage. Now, with this spellweaver thing-- should I use Chivalry or Bushido. I will use swords because I already have it at 115. Oh, one more thing...any need for magery on this template?

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Lord God, I always want to play like you do but... Can I do this dexxer spellweaver thing with hiding and stealth. I am not that good at fighting and hiding and stealth has kept me alive through many a giant turtle spawn with my mystic mage. Now, with this spellweaver thing-- should I use Chivalry or Bushido. I will use swords because I already have it at 115. Oh, one more thing...any need for magery on this template?
Bit confused on what you're asking. You say you already have a Stealth/Mystic/Mage... Are you now building a Stealth/Swords/Weaver? To be honest it sounds like major overkill on the defensive side of things.

Having Stealth (Hide+Stealth) on a Mystic/Mage is sort of redundant, especially at the Turtle spawn. In Stone Form (with 120 Mysticism/Focus) you won't get poisoned at all which is the main cause of the Dimetrowhatevers retargeting on the last level and during the final, with Magery you have Protection to avoid spells being interrupted so can Invis at any point. The champ is weakest to cold damage so you want to be hitting it with Hail Storm which you obviously can't do while hidden.

As far as a dexxer goes, if you're not used to playing while showing for whatever reason, I'd probably advise against it. Although you should always try new things, the Spellweaving/Dexxer (to my mind/how I'd play one) is casting/dexxer hybrid which is a fairly advanced play style, and will have spells interrupted frequently. I'd personally play it with 4/6 casting and Chivalry, probably Parry and no Bushido.

Val Van Wolf

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Thank you Lord God. I play alone and thereby have never learned all the little things that are so important. Unless you tell me. Goodbye, hiding and stealth (I got that habit playing on Siege for a few years). No wonder I spend so much time curing poison at the turtle spawn. I do a lot of research, spend days finding suit parts and still play like a noob. (I'm an 18 year vet.) Embarrassed now, but its my own fault. Thanks again.

Val Van Wolf

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Lord God and Elite Empire: I'm still working on my attempt at the Weaving swords with bushido,chiv and parry. What should her stats be. Taking me forever to see saw stats since she was all spell caster before.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Thank you Lord God. I play alone and thereby have never learned all the little things that are so important. Unless you tell me. Goodbye, hiding and stealth (I got that habit playing on Siege for a few years). No wonder I spend so much time curing poison at the turtle spawn. I do a lot of research, spend days finding suit parts and still play like a noob. (I'm an 18 year vet.) Embarrassed now, but its my own fault. Thanks again.
The #1 thing that causes vets to play like noobs is not being aware of melee defense on their casting characters. With no Mage Weapon, Wrestle, Defensive Wrestle (Eval+Anatomy) or Weapon skill you might as well be naked and will get out boxed by even forest animals. Even if you use Slayer Spellbooks you should have an EquipLastWeapon macro (CC) to swap instantly to your Mage Weapon when getting hit.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Lord God and Elite Empire: I'm still working on my attempt at the Weaving swords with bushido,chiv and parry. What should her stats be. Taking me forever to see saw stats since she was all spell caster before.
No different to normal dexxer stats (apart from the lack of bandages, meaning you only need Stam not necessarily Dex). Str as high as possible (personally I find playing with less than 150 annoying), 25 HP increase, enough Stamina to swing the weapons you intend to use at the cap, and the rest in Mana (usually ends up at 50+, with 40+ Stam and Mana Increase on an Imbued suit).

EliteEmpire

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Im a bit low on gold, but i put together the spellweaving dexxer on the crunk lol, managed to get a cheap spellweaving III and the reaper does insane damage on its own with a level 6 focus. I think once i get the template ironed out 100% and some gold liquidated so i can put more into the gear itll be super super good. Im VERY happy with the idea here.

Two things i noticed, and they are big things.

Firstly, the reaper takes 5 control slots, forcing you to be on foot. I am considering moving to gargoyle to counter this. A definate plus to this especially on atlantic is that gargoyle gear is super cheap.

Secondly, casting the reaper for some odd reason removes your weapon unless its channeling. :/ Simple re-arm fixes, but still, super annoying and forces you to lose your position to cast the tree if the fight goes on enough to where the previous tree dies or times out.

Heres the temp I am considering (I have all the skills, training is all done, its a mater of just figuring out right ones and soulstoning)

120 Swords (or throwing if garg but the reaper is stationary so might as well toe to toe monsters and not kite around reaper)
120 Tactics
120 Spellweaving (mastery here)
120 Parrying
120 Chivalry
120 ???

Options for ???
Maybe Bushido, but would be forced into a 2 hander due to parry mechanics
Maybe Anatomy, Since I would rely on a leech effect of some kind seems the little base extra damage is poor choice
Maybe Necromancy, and take up vamp form for leech (would cut life leech/stamina leech from the weapon, allowing for fc1 or something)
Suggestions welcome!

So yeah, stat wise:

125 STR
125 DEX
10 INT

LOTS of mana and stam stat increases in the gear. Although Im not sure what max SSI on a broadsword/longsword would be in terms of minimizing dex, i need to look it up somehow, but whatever would be subtracted would go into int, Im sure 211 dex is overkill with a 1 hander lol. Total Stat noob here.

Total Suit Mods would look like:
70/70/70/70/70
DCI/HCI 45 with divine fury modification
100 Damage Increase
4/6 Casting
40 LMC if going med 55LMC if going studded/bone
SSI to max swing speed (whatever that ends up being with a 1 hander)
As much mana/stam as i can cram in

Any thoughts on any of what I said? Always room to improve, thats why UO rocks.

Last edited:

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
120 Swords (or throwing if garg but the reaper is stationary so might as well toe to toe monsters and not kite around reaper)
120 Tactics
120 Spellweaving (mastery here)
120 Parrying
120 Chivalry
120 ???

Options for ???
Maybe Bushido, but would be forced into a 2 hander due to parry mechanics
Maybe Anatomy, Since I would rely on a leech effect of some kind seems the little base extra damage is poor choice
Maybe Necromancy, and take up vamp form for leech (would cut life leech/stamina leech from the weapon, allowing for fc1 or something)
Suggestions welcome!

Total Suit Mods would look like:
70/70/70/70/70
DCI/HCI 45 with divine fury modification
100 Damage Increase
4/6 Casting
40 LMC if going med 55LMC if going studded/bone
SSI to max swing speed (whatever that ends up being with a 1 hander)
As much mana/stam as i can cram in

Any thoughts on any of what I said? Always room to improve, thats why UO rocks.
I don't think there's anything I can add that you wouldn't already be aware of. For me personally, I probably would go gargoyle (I'm feeling inclined to do that on every character I don't PvP with lately.) Although Necro is always a valid option I'd be inclined not to use it on this. I'm not sure my reasoning will make much sense to others, but I hate playing 3 different characters the same way, if I've got 3 different characters I don't want 2 of them to be fighting the same way otherwise I just feel it's a waste of a character slot/suit etc. Whether it's a Sampire, Wammy and a Necro/Dexxer they all feel and look the same, mostly have the same suit etc. I just don't see the point in doing it, same with Mages, I won't have a Mage/Eval Tamer, Mage/Eval Bard, Mage/Eval Necro etc, I'll drop the Eval and add something else to make them all unique. Or another way to put it... if you're going to make a Weav/Dexxer, make a Weave/Dexxer, not a Sampire with Weaving (not you personally I mean it's how I look at it).

So for that reasoning I would do Gargoyle, either Throwing for ranged AI, Macing for Double Strike/AI, or Swords if Whirlwind is what you need most. If I didn't go with Throwing I'd probably keep Parry and use the shield mods (I really want to rebuild a good Parrier lately), Tactics, Chivalry 4/6 as your main healing method, Weaving...

So that's 4-5 skills, I'd then probably try and find something that fitted well with it, although Mysticism is a good possibility for Enchant, Stone Form would slow your 4/6 casting and you could only have Reaper or Colossus not both. I'd put other options as Med/Resist/Heal/Anat/Music/Disc/Prov/Peace/Alchemy/Wraith Form (low Necro/70+ SS).

EliteEmpire

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I think im more inclined to meditation actually. Legendary artifacts usually come with mage armor anyway, im just worried if i go med id have to worry about running out of mana after a few AI's vs leeching. I mean i could have both med and leech but seems kinda overkill for what could be a small mana pool.

And speaking of, where can i go to see swing speed info? Thats a major factor, what swords choices do i have for WW/AI/Double strike in the swords category and what would my dex/stam/SSI need to be to max that wep out? Willing to do the research on my own if someone could just point me to a interactive chart or something, i know stratics has one but i forget where it is.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
I think im more inclined to meditation actually. Legendary artifacts usually come with mage armor anyway, im just worried if i go med id have to worry about running out of mana after a few AI's vs leeching. I mean i could have both med and leech but seems kinda overkill for what could be a small mana pool.

And speaking of, where can i go to see swing speed info? Thats a major factor, what swords choices do i have for WW/AI/Double strike in the swords category and what would my dex/stam/SSI need to be to max that wep out? Willing to do the research on my own if someone could just point me to a interactive chart or something, i know stratics has one but i forget where it is.
http://www.uoguide.com/Swing_Speed_Increase

Every 30 Stamina takes 1 tick (0.25s) off of the weapons based swing.

Swords weapons include:
Radiant Scimitar/Gargish Talwar for Whirlwind
Double Axe for Whirlwind/Double Strike
Broadsword/Longsword for AI

EliteEmpire

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Ya! I was thinking of going Katana as wierd as it sounds, a gargish katana for AI. All I would need is 20 SSI and 90 stamina at base, 120 stamina as you say to keep it 1.25 swing speed.

Weapon would have life and mana leech (no stamina because of divine fury), FC1, damage increase and hit spell or slayer. The 20 SSI is super easy to get in other places.

Is this sound logic? or no? hehe are katanas too low damage? I just want to stick with gargish 1 handers

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Keep in mind that when a metal/studded armor gets Mage Armor, you lose the LMC bonus, and the stamina protection bonus.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Is this sound logic? or no? hehe are katanas too low damage? I just want to stick with gargish 1 handers
For PvM you want to use the weapon [with the highest base damage] [that you can swing at the cap] [that has the specials you want]. If it doesn't meet all three of those you'll probably find it a bit lack lustre.