• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Speedhacking Fix?

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
More importantly, something I know you have been waiting for – engineering has been working on speedhacking and 3rd party program detection. We’re closer each day to a solution, but are not publishing it until it’s solid.
http://www.uoherald.com/news/news.php?newsid=989

Think this will actually go through? last time they talked about it, it never went through. Would be nice though.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I didnt know it was broken :/

Seriously I think they are just telling us what we want to hear right now.

Cear Dallben Dragon

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
its going to be hilarious when this patch goes live and breaks uo. Uhall will be flooded with complains on why eveyone in UO has to move at walking pace no matter what. That or it will be a ghetto fix that casts perma sleep on you as soon as you log in.
nah but really. im optimistic.

KalVasTENKI

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
its going to be hilarious when this patch goes live and breaks uo. Uhall will be flooded with complains on why eveyone in UO has to move at walking pace no matter what. That or it will be a ghetto fix that casts perma sleep on you as soon as you log in.
nah but really. im optimistic.
Yeah... Seriously... I doubt anything like this will go through and if it does.. People will always find loopholes.

V

vitamin

:gun: i feel the game and faction would be much better if ppl did not hack.it an unfair advantage to the fair players. if they would start banning ppl for the hacks things would change but as from experince the gms and devs don't really care as long as they get their money each month

KalVasTENKI

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
:gun: i feel the game and faction would be much better if ppl did not hack.it an unfair advantage to the fair players. if they would start banning ppl for the hacks things would change but as from experince the gms and devs don't really care as long as they get their money each month
This is information we've all known for a good handful of years. :scholar: :coco:

E

Evlar

Phase out classic client and you effectively kill the majority, if not all, of the 3rd party "aids" to cheating.

Speeders are a different matter however, as it's most likely there are always ways to speedhack most games.

Sadly, wether they realise it or not, it's the cheats that have effectively caused the decline in pvp over the years. They're also the first to whine there's no good pvp these days... can't have it all eh!

Aibal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Phase out the Classic Client and you phase out a lot of people. I simply won't play the EC because, quite frankly, I think it looks like dog****.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you phase out 2D the people that write the programs will just write them for 3D.

The only way to fight it is to actually police the cheating. Ban people once and a while for speedhacking.

Some people will cheat until they get banned, but the good majority will use a program until someone they know gets banned for using it. I can't think of a single person who has ever been banned for speed hacking. There is clearly no risk for using it, every newb will use it.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
i know a LOT of people in game and i have yet to meet anyone who (says or admits) uses a speedhack.

i dont deny that there is one, cause ive seen people run around and outrun my entire guild..... while we are mounted and they are on foot.

and ive heard of people openlly stating in their own guild TS that they use it.

but i have yet to meet anyone who uses it personally.

so i dont think its as widlly spread as some of the fear mong'r's say it is.

i dont deny its ****ty when people run it, but lets get honest.
the people that run it are the same people who can cure a DP even before the leaves your dagger.
those people wont just run one thing, they run them ALL.

so lets get some GMs with some balls.
lets ban one of 'those people' per shard and im sure things will get better.

things may be badder on bigger shards, i couldnt say, i play smaller ones.

KalVasTENKI

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Phase out classic client and you effectively kill the majority, if not all, of the 3rd party "aids" to cheating.

Speeders are a different matter however, as it's most likely there are always ways to speedhack most games.

Sadly, wether they realise it or not, it's the cheats that have effectively caused the decline in pvp over the years. They're also the first to whine there's no good pvp these days... can't have it all eh!
> Phase out Classic Client = Phase out any players from this game.

All the god awful side clients are crap , including the new ones :[

FOREVER 2D. :/ I'm a fanboy and I'm proud.

Hacking and cheating is a horrible thing but nowadays I've gotten so used to fighting against hackers that I'm more resistant towards it.

KalVasTENKI

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you phase out 2D the people that write the programs will just write them for 3D.

The only way to fight it is to actually police the cheating. Ban people once and a while for speedhacking.

Some people will cheat until they get banned, but the good majority will use a program until someone they know gets banned for using it. I can't think of a single person who has ever been banned for speed hacking. There is clearly no risk for using it, every newb will use it.
/Thread

L

longshanks

it is out there and it is being used. it needs to be fixed. if it is fixed i think you would see more people willing to try pvp.

right now in some cases its like bringing a slingshot to a laser guided smart bomb fight.

G

Gellor

Phasing out the classic client will do nothing to effect server side cheats. It is the server side cheats that **** a lot of people I know off.

Unfortunately, when it comes to UO, the Devs take an ever famous approach to all the problems:

They take this stance no matter how much proof or steps you present to them.

How they can takes months to fix a bug they JUST introduced and are given step by step instructions how to replicate the bug is beyond me. Hard to claim "we don't know where THAT bug came from" when you JUST put code at a certain location.

Exclusive of the speed programs AND other assistance programs, the biggest thing they can do to turn around PvP is to FIX THEIR OWN CODE!!!:coco::coco:

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
fixing the code in UO is immpossible.

your talking 12+ years of code that is held together with bailer twine and bubble gum that has been passed down through the hands of probablly hundreds of code writers working for the different companies over the years.

that is why we allways get unexpected things that we least expect..... like bacon on valentines day.

G

Gellor

fixing the code in UO is immpossible.

your talking 12+ years of code that is held together with bailer twine and bubble gum that has been passed down through the hands of probablly hundreds of code writers working for the different companies over the years.

that is why we allways get unexpected things that we least expect..... like bacon on valentines day.
The "passed through hands of lots of code writers" is a cop out when it comes to making code correct. I've played with previous coder's code that was all hacked together that went through three developer suites and three operating systems.. It is a LOT of work but it is still possible.

The correct "excuse" would be it would take more man hours than it is worth.

But at the same time, it doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out "hey, I just added code related to death strike and death strike is now broke... maybe it was something I JUST added that broke it". If they can't put that simple cause and effect together, I hate to say it, they need to choose another line of work beyond programming:loser:

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
true dat

i allways love going to uhall after a patch or pub goes in to see what inadvertant thing got messed up.

and all the emerg shard downs for fixes.

good stuff.
good stuff.

i guess we can just be thankfull we dont get those 1 day reverts like we use to get.

S

Splup

They'v been saying that "We'r working on preventing cheating" as long as I can remember and nothing has ever happened.

And this time? They said right at the times when they laid off people.

Sounds like distraction to me... "We'r laying off ppl.... BUT We will fix cheating I promise"

Yea right, I don't believe it till I see it. But I will keep asking for it.

Ls Jax Ls

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You guys realize there is an easy fix for speed hacking right? Do it yourself. Google, download, run. You all act like people are running around with invincibility or something.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
You guys realize there is an easy fix for speed hacking right? Do it yourself. Google, download, run. You all act like people are running around with invincibility or something.
so you are saying we should all run cheats, cause that will make it all fair?

ill come back to this once i get some sleep.

Ls Jax Ls

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm saying rather than whining and complaining about a "hack" that's not even a hack if you don't like the advantage it gives people then take away the advantage. There are much bigger problems in UO that devs need to concentrate on other than speed "hacks". And yes, two people using the same cheat = fair.

S

Splup

I'm saying rather than whining and complaining about a "hack" that's not even a hack if you don't like the advantage it gives people then take away the advantage. There are much bigger problems in UO that devs need to concentrate on other than speed "hacks". And yes, two people using the same cheat = fair.
Problem is that if I put on speedhack, I have advantage to the guys who don't use it.

Usually battles involve both players, the ones with speed hack and the ones without it. So if I put one on, I'm having unfair advantage over the ones who do not use it.

If EA put programs that allow you to run faster to uoherald and told everyone to use freely, then I'd agree with you.

And I think speed hack and scripts are the biggest problem in game atm.

Alagos Galadrim

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And I think speed hack and scripts are the biggest problem in game atm.
We can't get rid of scripters! Luna's economy would look like RL in a day! Think of all the unemployed vendors and their poor starving pixel kids!

V

vitamin

speed hacks i can deal with it the other hacking /exploits that are the problem like throwing 6 pots at once hrowing feilds on top floors of houses that is just plain crazy. so if takes cheaing to win a pvp fight then i quess i will always be a trammie. but i will not give up if i have to tuna spedder then by god i will:gee:

S

Scratch

screw speedhacking fixes....fix the damn pot throwing problems

S

Scratch

a few......the pot throwing script is being spread around as more and more people are throwing pots now on atl.....one guild in particular started out with it and now their whole faction is slowly starting to do it....and all the faction guilds are allied now....one big happy com faction alliance.....its absurd what pvp has become due to lack of developement in favor of pixel crack and trammy events.....

balanced bow + all kill + pot gun = lame pvper

remove balanced from bows or add it to all two handed weapons
kinda easy to see the advantage of being an archer
some of the hardest hitting two handed weapons in the game
ranged attacks from up to ten tiles away
and can chug pots with 50ehp and alchemy skill on a template

even mages cant compete anymore

pvp needs fixed........sign the petition asap

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why is it assumed that you need a script to throw pots? I have alch on my bushy/ninja and will regularly chuck an exp pot if i'm chasing someone down for the kill.

V

Vyal

Speed hacking can be fixed, you try to activate those speeder programs in ANY other game and you get booted anything you can play on Steam for example is instant boot.

I would like to see the speed hacking fixed also. It is lame and people do use it.

Now some people I understand you know like the person from the west coast playing on a shard over seas. It's the ones who already ping like 10 to a shard then use a speeder and what you get then is someone who can pass people in the blink of an eye get in front of you and do any number of things to stop you before you even know whats going on.

It's one of the only things in UO that really needs to be looked into ASAP as far as exploits and bugs go.

M

Mairut

Someone mentioned to me today that UO is really going to try to implement punkbuster with the next patch.

Got this http://www.uo.com/punkbuster_faq.html along with the message.

I haven't seen anything on Uhall about it.

Someone else said that UO was going to hire a special team to help with hacks.... lol.

I told them "ummm... EA just fired a bunch of the mythic team, didn't you know..."

I know they were talking about it several months ago, but I was just curious to see if anyone else has heard of this coming up (again).

I decided to ask here, since this is the only up-to-date thread that I've seen that hasn't just been "please devs, do something".

L

Lorelei Rage

Why is it assumed that you need a script to throw pots? I have alch on my bushy ninja and will regularly chuck an exp pot if i'm chasing someone down for the kill.
You said it Lynk chuck AN EXP POT. Does your exp pot do 150 damage in one hit, I doubt it, unless like some others you are throwing FIVE at once. Had it with the scripting, and being hunted down in stealth mode is more bs, flag on them and they can see you like you are not even hidden.

WHERE DO I SIGN FOR PUNKBUSTER!!!!!

L

Lorelei Rage

Scratch... hmmm so it is NOT my imagination others are noticing they are spreading the word on the pots and you are right the big happy family they have going there are mostly all running with it now.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Someone mentioned to me today that UO is really going to try to implement punkbuster with the next patch.

Got this http://www.uo.com/punkbuster_faq.html along with the message.

I haven't seen anything on Uhall about it.

Someone else said that UO was going to hire a special team to help with hacks.... lol.

I told them "ummm... EA just fired a bunch of the mythic team, didn't you know..."

I know they were talking about it several months ago, but I was just curious to see if anyone else has heard of this coming up (again).

I decided to ask here, since this is the only up-to-date thread that I've seen that hasn't just been "please devs, do something".

I think that FAQ might be from a few years back when we heard that you'd have to agree to let Punkbuster run in order to play UO. Unfortunately, with the Stratics crash, it's hard to find some of the old info. I was able to find this page on the UO site as well: http://www.uo.com/tos_update.html.

If you'll notice, both the FAQ and the TOS additions page at the link in the paragraph above are copyrighted in 2008, so I think it's fairly safe to say they are OLD and date back to when the idea was under serious consideration and then later shelved. If you weren't actively playing UO at the time, I guess count yourself lucky that you didn't have to wade through the huge discussion/rant threads that popped up here.

I would like to point out that when the closed beta for the Stygian Abyss expansion kicked off almost a year ago, the application for the beta that you submitted (which was posted publicly, so no I'm not violating the NDA) included language that was pretty explicit about you agreeing to Punkbuster-type measures if you wanted to be in the beta. (Punkbuster was not mentioned by name, so it wasn't clear if the measures to be used were developed in-house or were actually from Even Balance, the company that created/runs Punkbuster.) To this day, I still don't know if the folks that were in that part of the beta ended up downloading something to allow additional monitoring on EA's part or not. I guess if it's still on my machine and they're running some monitoring, I hope it's helpful because I sure don't have anything to hide in the way I play UO. I know that beta application language was sufficient to dissuade a number of people from applying to be part of the beta. Doesn't mean they necessarily had anything to hide but many people are leery of putting anything on their PCs that may have the potential to give strangers access to private information.

One of JC's old posts has a copy of the relevant language from the SA beta application here: http://vboards.stratics.com/showpost.php?p=1237059&postcount=43.

M

Mairut

....I think that FAQ might be from a few years back when we heard that you'd have to agree to let Punkbuster run in order to play UO. Unfortunately, with the Stratics crash, it's hard to find some of the old info. I was able to find this page on the UO site as well: http://www.uo.com/tos_update.html.......
I wasn't around in 2008, but I did hear something about it in conjunction with SA a few months ago, and then heard about it again yesterday. I looked on Uhall and didn't see anything, but figured it never hurts to just ask.

Thank you very, very much for your response :)

R

Raconteur

There will always be a hack/script/exploit,and there will always be someone who Is a step ahead of the Devs.
Either we learn to live with It or we just stop playing.
Ive played to long to stop playing now....so I guess I'll just deal wit It lol.

Nuff Said!

RawHeadRex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I couldn't agree more. I bounced to Fel Yew gate to see what action was going on and a red yells out to me, "hey XXXXXX,
please duel me just once, please". As i typed, "how can you see me?" I revealed myself from the gate. He replied, "I um, can see um , people who are in factions err um guilds and um..."

funny how i'm not a part of any guild or a faction.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is impossible to throw 5 exp pots at the same time, the most anyone can do is three, and it is possible to do with a UOA macro. Even then it isn't exactly at the same time, each one goes off about 1/2 second apart. Furthermore, it is easily beatable because all you have to do is break line of site and when the macro attempts to target you for the pot it will blow up in their packs.

There are obviously some ways to cheat in the game. But when people like RawHeadRex just make up blatant lies about someone seeing hidden people it just masks the real problems with the uneducated posts.

Rex - when you come through a moongate it makes a noise, it's easy to know that someone is on the gate.

Just like the people in Uhall claiming that there is a guild on catskills that runs an insurance hack that makes players drop their whole suits. Stop lying about things.

There is only one cheat that really gives anyone an advantage in this game, and that is the many variations of speedhack programs.

R

RichDC

You said it Lynk chuck AN EXP POT. Does your exp pot do 150 damage in one hit, I doubt it, unless like some others you are throwing FIVE at once. Had it with the scripting, and being hunted down in stealth mode is more bs, flag on them and they can see you like you are not even hidden.

WHERE DO I SIGN FOR PUNKBUSTER!!!!!
See now this ive heard a few times about people being "hunted" in stealth. Now im going to guess one of 2 things is happening here.

1) A script to make you last target, that person "hunting" can now throw pots AT YOU even when your invised...try it with messanas cream pies sometime...funny as ****!!!

2)You are flagging on an archer, its well known [well i thought it was] archers for some reason can hit stealthed chars when you flag them.

Cear Dallben Dragon

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
cream pies havent hit stealthers since like a week after they came out. one bug i sent in that actually got fixed. now if the stealther has one on him. may be a different story