• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Speedhacking, Duping, UMing ~Cheating - they all need to go bye-bye asap

Sprago

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am a strong believer in fair game play you should either make adjustments to the game server to stop all forms of cheats or allow everyone to do so its not fair to those of us that actually play by the rules to get beat by someone using UO medic or a speed hack not to mention all the other scripts out there.
PLEASE DO SOMETHING TO EVEN OUT THE FAIRNESS OF THIS GAME i love playing UO but thats gettin less and less each time i die to someone using cheats

Krystal

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree this stuff really needs to stop. i have played this game 11 yrs now, and i just dont feel like logging in anymore. the speed hacking is that bad. i got a great connections (15 ping) and a great computer. i get foreigners running circles around me!?! before people used to hide that they are speed hacking, now they use it all the time and brag to their friends about it.
i dont like to cheat or speed hack. i play to relax, anymore when i log in i get so damned frustrated i wanna almost quit. never wanted to quit be4!
these cheater know EA isn't doing anything to stop them so they are blatantly using these speedhacks. so EA u gonna start losing a lot more people if u dont stop this crap.

PLZ FIX SPEEDHACKING!!! make it ur next priority!

R

Rix/\

I would like to see them fix current problems before giving us new content unless this new content is a fix.

Leaf

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would like to see them fix current problems before giving us new content unless this new content is a fix.
I agree. There are many evenings where my guildmates will just log off because the speedhacking and cheating is so out of control there is no sense to continue to PvP. Its just no fun when things are so unbalanced and no one seems to care.

Cynic

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is getting way out of control.

I remember when you could count with 1 hand the known cheaters on any given shard.

Now it's more like counting on 1 hand the amount of players that definately do not cheat on any given shard.

The speedhacking has really gotten out of hand and I don't know who said it before but they are right, with no obvious repercussions the cheats will just become standard gameplay.

Ignoring the 800lb gorilla in the corner of the room isn't helping! The fatass just keeps eating!

This isn't the first post like this and it won't be the last.. :bdh:
It has and always will fall on deaf ears over at EA.

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Perhaps you can explain then, what impact someone that uses a third party tool to gm poisoning has on you compared to one that does so through endless click click clicking. But, of course, you won't tell me how that has an impact on you. Because it doesnt. But, please, prove me wrong and explain that impact to me.
That´s an easy one... (haven´t read the entire thread though so not sure what´s been said already)

A cheater is a cheater. Period!

What´s gonna keep the poisoning cheater from moving on to other scripts/cheats such as resource gathering and duping just to take the easy path cuz that seems to be what they like.

So every skill-scripter should be taken care of cuz they are more than likely to move on to other cheats after they´re done with their skills...

...which will impact the game.

U

UOKaiser

That´s an easy one... (haven´t read the entire thread though so not sure what´s been said already)

What´s gonna keep the poisoning cheater from moving on to other scripts/cheats such as resource gathering and duping just to take the easy path cuz that seems to be what they like.

So every skill-scripter should be taken care of cuz they are more than likely to move on to other cheats after they´re done with their skills...

No No thats terrible thinking. Its saying the uassit,uomap,kr macro,every other approved 3rd party program user are cheaters and will moveon to unapproved programs. Saying that jaywalker is a criminal and will commit bigger crimes and should be locked up for life. its saying that the gate way drug is actualy the gate way drug. Too broad and in no way true.

D

D'Amavir

I definitely agree that EA needs to make vast improvements in their cheat detection abilities.

I don't think that clogging up the GM queues with issues that they are (apparently) unable to verify and take action against will have much of an effect. It's not like any of these issues are new or obscure. The devs definitely know they are there and know how negatively they impact the game. It will just cause even longer queues for the people who have issues that can currently be resolved.
People have been using third party tools to get around the tedious tasks that the devs designed the game with for years. Many many years. The devs knew about it and how did they respond? They created Heartwood quests which brought even more tediousness to the game. Seems like if they really wanted it gone they would at least make an effort to take away much of the cause for it in the first place. Sometimes if it walks like a duck, talks like a duck and tastes like a duck when you roast it, it just might be a duck.

D

D'Amavir

No No thats terrible thinking. Its saying the uassit,uomap,kr macro,every other approved 3rd party program user are cheaters and will moveon to unapproved programs. Saying that jailwalker is a criminal and will commit bigger crimes and should be locked up for life. its saying that the gate way drug is actualy the gate way drug. Too broad and in no way true.
I was going to say the exact same thing but I knew it would be lost on people that have that viewpoint.

I will say one little phrase that fits into that mentality though in a way that just shows how silly it is...

"Next thing you know, people will be wanting to marry dogs!"

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

No No thats terrible thinking. Its saying the uassit,uomap,kr macro,every other approved 3rd party program user are cheaters and will move on to unapproved programs.
Like I said, I haven´t read the entire thread so if the third party tool mentioned to raise poisoning was an approved one then I stand corrected.

But if it was an illegal program then I stick to my post.

Now, I didn´t say that people using UOAssist and UOAM were cheaters. But if you are using an illegal program to raise a skill then you are one.

I don´t think people using UOAssist will start scripting resources and duping stuff (sure, some might do) in general.

But I wouldn´t be surprised if a person using an illegal program to raise skills would.

And why is that? Because of the mindset.

If you´re using a legal/approved program then you don´t have the mindset of a cheater and you will hopefully stick to the legal stuff. But a person using illegal stuff to do one thing would not have a problem with using illegal stuff to do other things.

And the way I look at this has nothing to do with jaywalking or marrying dogs. It has to do with cheating in UO. I´m pretty fed up with all the crap going on in this game. So I´ll say it again:

D

D'Amavir

Like I said, I haven´t read the entire thread so if the third party tool mentioned to raise poisoning was an approved one then I stand corrected.

Now, I didn´t say that people using UOAssist and UOAM were cheaters. But if you are using an illegal program to raise a skill then you are one.

I don´t think people using UOAssist will start scripting resources and duping stuff (sure, some might do) in general.

But I wouldn´t be surprised if a person using an illegal program to raise skills would.

If you´re using a legal/approved program then you don´t have the mindset of a cheater and you will hopefully stick to the legal stuff. But a person using illegal stuff to do one thing would not have a problem with using illegal stuff to do other things.

And the way I look at this has nothing to do with jaywalking or marrying dogs. It has to do with cheating in UO. I´m pretty fed up with all the crap going on in this game. So I´ll say it again:

Which mindset? The mindset of not enjoying the tedious nature that the devs force on people in game and choose to use a tool to help with it? As in UOA? Or the mindset of trying to get over on others using a cheat? As in Speedhacks? Or the mindset of trying to get something for nothing? As in dupes? Which mindset exactly, because they are each different. Completely. To assume someone that doesn't want carpal tunnel is the same as someone that wants to dupe items and cheat at pvp using a hack is just silly.

As I have said through this whole thread, which I understand you didn't read, is that if the devs cared enough to fix things that were overly tedious (certain skill training, certain quests, certain crafting) then a lot of the people that support other things might not do so. Does that mean that everyone that believes in a third party tool to relieve tedium doesn't use additional tricks to game the system? No, I am not foolish enough to believe that. Nor am I foolish enough to believe that just because you do the former that means you would do the latter. I am not an 'all' or 'every' type person. I judge individuals based on individuals not on those that are not that individual.

Hattori Hanzo

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It appears the duping continues, but at least there is some work on that front. I see nothing being done to corral speed hacking. The very existance of the game is at stake so the good minds need to put some effort into fixing it.

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
As I have said through this whole thread, which I understand you didn't read, is that if the devs cared enough to fix things that were overly tedious (certain skill training, certain quests, certain crafting) then a lot of the people that support other things might not do so. Does that mean that everyone that believes in a third party tool to relieve tedium doesn't use additional tricks to game the system? No, I am not foolish enough to believe that. Nor am I foolish enough to believe that just because you do the former that means you would do the latter. I am not an 'all' or 'every' type person. I judge individuals based on individuals not on those that are not that individual.
Good for you...

So in other words you are willing to accept cheaters in the game until they cross that line and by then it´s to late?

D

D'Amavir

Good for you...

So in other words you are willing to accept cheaters in the game until they cross that line and by then it´s to late?
Too late for what? Should those that dupe items intentionally be removed or allowed to continue just because its too late? I don't believe that. Should speedhackers be allowed to continue because its too late? I don't believe that. I am willing to accept what you call 'cheating' if it is something that really doesn't have a negative impact on the game itself. Duping? Big impact. Speedhacking? Big impact. Using a tool to GM a skill to save you some carpal tunnel pain? Not really any impact.

I don't believe that the two (duping/speedhacking vs skill gaining) are in any ways related. Nor do I believe that doing one necessarily leads to the other. One is done to help reduce tedium in a flawed system while the other is done to get over on others and get things for free. You may have nightmares at night about how a certain person gm'd his skill. And those nightmares may include that certain person then going out and duping or speedhacking. I don't have those same nightmares. Why? Because its not anything major to me or, in all honesty, anyone else.

U

UOKaiser

Thats what we trying to get down to is that there are different levels of cheating. A exploiter is not in the same level as a duper and a duper is not in the same level as a unattended scripter and a unattended scripter is not in the same level as a attendant scripter and non of them are in the same level as a scammer. I understand youre saying cheaters are cheaters but the punishment must fit the crime. Especially is you try to compare it to a TOS of a company. I know many of us break that rule like bad language theres being plenty of times that i type what i think. Or the isp tos that you can't run a server in your internet connection (Unfortunetly server is classified as any client that sends and receives files example p2p,mail,video,games.) Lets not forget the tos that says youre not allowed to sue them which is illegal in the united states to prevent you form suing them.
So there are different levels of cheating I can have another person in the house log in at anytime to gank a lone player then that long player might say youre cheating. To him thats his definition of cheating.

But look at this "You may not select as your User ID the name of another person (unless it is also your name), or a name which violates any third party's trademark right, copyright, or other proprietary right, or which Electronic Arts deems in its discretion to be vulgar or otherwise offensive." Mnay of us are not lawyers so we will have to go and look for everything thats being copyrighted and make sure not to use it :). Lets look at another one.
By submitting Content to any area on the Service, you automatically grant (or you warrant that the owner of such Content has expressly granted) to Electronic Arts the royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive right and license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such Content worldwide and/or to incorporate it in other works in any form, media, or technology now known or later developed for the full term including any renewal term of any Rights that may exist in such Content. This one is really bad for example i make any design or any plans or any invention while in game it belongs to ea and not me even if i start charging for the invention to use somewhwereelse it theres. Ofcourse its hard to come out whith original invention but just to have this here like the record companies have is just terrible. Tos is always built to only protect companies. If we look closely there might be something around there in giving up our first born to EA.

Either way kind of rambled off but yea I just dont believe someone who got the taste of UOassit will move on to gaining skills with other programs and then from there will find out and start exploiting and then start duping everything and then start reprograming UO so that everyone bows to him.

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Good for you...

Too late for what? Should those that dupe items intentionally be removed or allowed to continue just because its too late? I don't believe that. Should speedhackers be allowed to continue because its too late? I don't believe that. I am willing to accept what you call 'cheating' if it is something that really doesn't have a negative impact on the game itself. Duping? Big impact. Speedhacking? Big impact. Using a tool to GM a skill to save you some carpal tunnel pain? Not really any impact.

I don't believe that the two (duping/speedhacking vs skill gaining) are in any ways related. Nor do I believe that doing one necessarily leads to the other. One is done to help reduce tedium in a flawed system while the other is done to get over on others and get things for free. You may have nightmares at night about how a certain person gm'd his skill. And those nightmares may include that certain person then going out and duping or speedhacking. I don't have those same nightmares. Why? Because its not anything major to me or, in all honesty, anyone else.
It´s cool. We´re just two posters that disagrees, nothing wrong with that...

U

UOKaiser

It appears the duping continues, but at least there is some work on that front. I see nothing being done to corral speed hacking. The very existance of the game is at stake so the good minds need to put some effort into fixing it.
Heres the thing with the speed hacking. Uo caped the speed on there end already so you can never go faster than that so Ea only thing they can do is cap the speed higher on server end but unfortunetly doing that will mess up everyone speed to the server. Players whith faster connections wont be able to use there internet to the fastest abilitiy and will complain. And those whith still slow connections will still say there speed hacking. The speed hacking programs dont interact with uo server. You can do the same thing by modifing you're registry and other system files. The only way to not have speedhacking programs work is to stop you from making modifications to youre own operating system which then microsoft or whoever will end up suing ea for tampering whith there users and blocking any program from modificating you're system. Then you have intrusive punkbuster it will pretty much be a waste of time. Theres many ways to get around it while the legitamite users will be spied upon and systems slowed down depending on the connection and computer.
Sucks But ea is doing what they can without having to actualy send a person to each players house and place a game tracker on there ankles so they can monitor when you eat sleep or cheat.

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Thats what we trying to get down to is that there are different levels of cheating. A exploiter is not in the same level as a duper and a duper is not in the same level as a unattended scripter and a unattended scripter is not in the same level as a attendant scripter and non of them are in the same level as a scammer. I understand youre saying cheaters are cheaters but the punishment must fit the crime. Especially is you try to compare it to a TOS of a company. I know many of us break that rule like bad language theres being plenty of times that i type what i think. Or the isp tos that you can't run a server in your internet connection (Unfortunetly server is classified as any client that sends and receives files example p2p,mail,video,games.) Lets not forget the tos that says youre not allowed to sue them which is illegal in the united states to prevent you form suing them.
So there are different levels of cheating I can have another person in the house log in at anytime to gank a lone player then that long player might say youre cheating. To him thats his definition of cheating.

But look at this "You may not select as your User ID the name of another person (unless it is also your name), or a name which violates any third party's trademark right, copyright, or other proprietary right, or which Electronic Arts deems in its discretion to be vulgar or otherwise offensive." Mnay of us are not lawyers so we will have to go and look for everything thats being copyrighted and make sure not to use it :). Lets look at another one.
By submitting Content to any area on the Service, you automatically grant (or you warrant that the owner of such Content has expressly granted) to Electronic Arts the royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive right and license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such Content worldwide and/or to incorporate it in other works in any form, media, or technology now known or later developed for the full term including any renewal term of any Rights that may exist in such Content. This one is really bad for example i make any design or any plans or any invention while in game it belongs to ea and not me even if i start charging for the invention to use somewhwereelse it theres. Ofcourse its hard to come out whith original invention but just to have this here like the record companies have is just terrible. Tos is always built to only protect companies. If we look closely there might be something around there in giving up our first born to EA.

Either way kind of rambled off but yea I just dont believe someone who got the taste of UOassit will move on to gaining skills with other programs and then from there will find out and start exploiting and then start duping everything and then start reprograming UO so that everyone bows to him.
Heh, rambling is allowed...

It´s just that I see what I see and I hear what I hear and when I add that up it´s just too much.

And I don´t like the idea of allowing or encouraging any type of cheating no matter how "innocent" it may be (and I´m not talking about UOAssist or any other approved program). Cuz the possibility that it damages the game further is just too big imo.

But like I said to D´Amavir, we´ll just have to agree to disagree...

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Cheaters never win?... *coughs*

K

Kyrie_Elaison

We (the legitimate UO payers/players) all detest this unfair playing field.

[dukarlo, this one's for you (just make a new thread about it rather than spam others :))]

If cheating at current levels continue to persist,
Then what good is pumping new blood into UO, by way of SA expansion & SA client, going to succeed in doing other than making more honest gamers more jaded?

Ramp up the anti-cheating measures already!
Newness is nothing, when compared to this.

Discuss, please
(Are you in-favor of a game, of the game called UO, being fairly played? Let the people know.)
:)
I agree fully. Put some more GM's on the payroll or something already. It's getting to be horrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

D

D'Amavir

Cheaters never win?... *coughs*
Yes. Tell that to the people making a living selling duped and scripted items from games like this. Its a good theory, but in reality, cheaters often can and do win. In fact, its usually those that don't cheat that end up on the short in of the stick. I can give you examples both in game and out of game but, as tjalle wisely said, sometimes its better to just agree to disagree.