• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Soooo, about these rock hammers....

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Got a couple, wanted to try them out. I have GM mining and the +5 gloves.

Two hammers later and the fail rate on them is phenomenal. Around 80% per. Could this be looked at and the success/fail rates adjusted please? As a GM + miner, that fail rate is appalling! And, at 500 points per hammer - one per use - really not worth my time either. I don't expect it to be easy, but I do expect it to be reasonable, and this is not.

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is a lot more than rock hammers that has fallen by the wayside. Entire templates have no use whatsoever or are not worth investing in.

But yes mining and crafting in general need some attention.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't necessarily think it needs a whole big huge push and makeover, but it does need some items tweaked. Shouldn't take a huge amount of dev time to do a few tweaks. Like turning up the numbers on the rock hammer...

Still chaps my butt when my fully scrolled out mage can't meditate when he needs to, seems to fail as much as it works.

And if we must continue to live with teh same old RNG..then turn the chances for everything up a notch...it's pitiful to have a 21% chance to succeed with something yet fail 13-17 times in a row.

In the early years the struggle was real. And it meant something, we were world building, community building, go where no man had been before (oops. wrong game :p ) But now we are older, times are tougher, now we ahve both kids and grandkids, and playtime seems to be harder to get sometimes. Now we want to play for fun and to have fun, not to continue to grind for every little thing.

Just my opinion.

TheDrAJ

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
they sell rock hammers that dont fail right? Why would they "give" you something that cuts down on their profit?

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't want it to not fail, I want the fail rate to be reasonable with regard to the skill level on the character that's using it.

If I try to use one with my mage, the fail rate should be appropriate with the fact that she doesn't know granite from niter.

If I try to use one on a char with only 50 mining, the fail rate should be appropriate to that char having some skill, but not all skill possible.

And when I try to use one with my GM miner and +5 gloves, that fail rate should also be appropriate.

Not, I feel, unreasonable. Or even remotely connected with no fail hammers, either. It's not. No fail hammers are a real currency item. Not buying them, not my thing. I want a reasonable fail rate on the reward rock hammers.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm partly with the good Dr and partly with the OP. The mere existence of the store bought hammers should tell you that the others will never have more success rate than they currently have.....

Last edited:

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I see no reason the two can't exist without pissing off the players. Not too bothered about a bit of a fail, get the reward one. Want the 100% variety, well, you know where the store is.

This should not even be an issue!

Edited to add; diversity of playstyles & catering to them is the key here, EA. You get the money either way, after all.

Last edited:

TheDrAJ

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You are reading my post wrong.

I agree with you that the success rate should be increased.

I just think they have little incentive to do that, so I doubt it will happen.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But yes mining and crafting in general need some attention.
Unfortunately, most of the time something in UO gets "some attention," we mostly end up griping and complaining about it because it became even more of a grind. I think we do better in the long run a lot of times when the dev team just fixes one or two things at a time. When they mess with a whole "system," then it seems like they become so invested in it that they refuse to make many, if any, tweaks or corrections and we just end up having to live with the new system that no one really likes.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When I first got the hammer I sent out my gm miner........ here I expected to get a decent bag of rocks.....
I first tried the spot with normal shovel to make sure the ore type.
I wanted shadow... did I get any rocks that were shadow?? no
Nor Copper, or any other rock type but iron.....
I am sorry this pick is worthless... they can keep it. ill mine the normal way and get 10x more rocks and what I want.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Got a couple, wanted to try them out. I have GM mining and the +5 gloves.

Two hammers later and the fail rate on them is phenomenal. Around 80% per. Could this be looked at and the success/fail rates adjusted please? As a GM + miner, that fail rate is appalling! And, at 500 points per hammer - one per use - really not worth my time either. I don't expect it to be easy, but I do expect it to be reasonable, and this is not.
If I try to use one on a char with only 50 mining, the fail rate should be appropriate to that char having some skill, but not all skill possible.

And when I try to use one with my GM miner and +5 gloves, that fail rate should also be appropriate.
i have nothing to add to the conversation but i do want to point out something that you keep saying over and over and its making my OCD cringe every time you do.
there is no such things as GM +5 mining.
mining is a hard cap at 100.
there is no gloving up to get to 105.
there is no talisman that takes you above your cap.
mining is hard capped at 100.
if you have 100 mining and you are wearing +5 gloves you are wasting a clothing slot on your toon.

now, that said, my miners are all GM and a good number of them wear the +5 gloves.

just know they are doing nothing for you.

or at least that was the last time i heard the Dev's talk about it and that was years ago.

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As far as I understand it, items like that work as a boost in that skill. Like the +60 smith hammer? Doesn't actually take your skill level above the hard cap but stacks when you're using that skill.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
To my understanding, the +5 increases your chance to smelt, but not to mine the ore. regardless all my miners wear them (now that they made the gloves alterable)

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
again, one of the Dev's was in here talking one day and said that mining stops at 100, something about the code does not allow it to exceed 100 so going over it wont give you anything.
don't shoot the messenger.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
again, one of the Dev's was in here talking one day and said that mining stops at 100, something about the code does not allow it to exceed 100 so going over it wont give you anything.
don't shoot the messenger.
C'mon Poo - with the turnover they've had in the Dev team over the years - do you really think this dev team understands half the previous code? Unless you can get an answer from Patrick Mallot/Leriocan - I would test the results instead. He's the last one that really understood any of the crafting code.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
C'mon Poo - with the turnover they've had in the Dev team over the years - do you really think this dev team understands half the previous code? Unless you can get an answer from Patrick Mallot/Leriocan - I would test the results instead. He's the last one that really understood any of the crafting code.
i kind of think it was Leriocan that said it.
it was a long while ago.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
i go back on shift tomorrow, if i get some down time ill get a shovel out and start digging through the old threads and stuff and see if i can find the post about it.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If Leurocian said it, he was dead wrong. And, I'm almost certain that he would have immediately been called on it, and he corrected himself, within a day.

Since AT LEAST AoS (as I started with that expansion), Mining gloves take mining over 100.

This has no effect on DIGGING.
It only has an effect on SMELTING.

In fact, there was a bug that lasted almost a year INTO AoS, to where some people were having the +5 NOT go away, then get reapplied with the gloves, to where some people had Mining displaying into the 110s, 120s, or higher. (one person had Mining over 140!).

Next thing you'll be doing is claiming that an ASH+60 won't take you over 120......

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
and now that i think of it ASH +60 hammers wont take you over 120.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
If Leurocian said it, he was dead wrong. And, I'm almost certain that he would have immediately been called on it, and he corrected himself, within a day.

Since AT LEAST AoS (as I started with that expansion), Mining gloves take mining over 100.

This has no effect on DIGGING.
It only has an effect on SMELTING.

In fact, there was a bug that lasted almost a year INTO AoS, to where some people were having the +5 NOT go away, then get reapplied with the gloves, to where some people had Mining displaying into the 110s, 120s, or higher. (one person had Mining over 140!).

Next thing you'll be doing is claiming that an ASH+60 won't take you over 120......
we are talking about mining, no?
mining is digging, no?
the picks we are talking about are for mining/digging.... no?

Rock Hammer
(500 charges) •Increased chance to dig up high quality granite while mining

Shandara

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Back to the Rock Hammers, I tested one of these BOD rewards with an Agi Map in fel. The 500 uses only gave me 157 Agi Granite. WTF, remember in fel, so in reality I only got rock about 75 times. The Agi Map by the way only lost uses when I actually got granite, where as the hammer lost uses every time I swung it. In my experience using these Agi Maps with setting the shovel to ore and granite I have been getting about 90 granite and over 400 ore, again this is in fel. I will try using just the Rock Hammer strip mining later and post my results.

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I noted exactly what I got on both hammers, it's sitting here on a couple of postits, including coloured stone & the niter deposits, blackrock & a gem - which I shouldn't have got since the hammer ''only mines granite''. Happy to type it out this afternoon sometime if anyone is interested.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
a wiki isnt considered gospel.
if it would make you feel better i can go in there and change it to say the mining gloves turn you into a purple llama.
Well yea, but it beats... " I heard it from someone else..." without even a link. So do you have a link to what you're saying or not?

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Well yea, but it beats... " I heard it from someone else..." without even a link. So do you have a link to what you're saying or not?
as i stated above:

i go back on shift tomorrow, if i get some down time ill get a shovel out and start digging through the old threads and stuff and see if i can find the post about it.
my list of things to get done looking that up is pretty near the bottom as this is a none issue for me, i just wanted to pass along what i saw in answer to the question at one time many moons ago.
and i trust a answer from a Dev that i know i saw compared to a wiki that gets input from some people who are bound to be low hanging fruit.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
They don't take you over 120, but they increase your % to do whatever it is you're doing with smithing. Or did you think +60 hammers were for 60 smithing templates ?
holy hell its jump down my throat day i see.

my humorous response was in reply to this post.

but i like how you jump all over me for just replying to what was said to me.
classy.
shouldn't you be out farting in elevators or closing doors in front of pregnant women or something?

sounds like we need a truck load of these little gems in Uhall today.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
as i stated above:

my list of things to get done looking that up is pretty near the bottom as this is a none issue for me, i just wanted to pass along what i saw in answer to the question at one time many moons ago.
and i trust a answer from a Dev that i know i saw compared to a wiki that gets input from some people who are bound to be low hanging fruit.
But the trouble is... It's not from a Dev. It's from you and you can't even be bothered to back it up. And I trust the wiki versus a post on a forum.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
holy hell its jump down my throat day i see.

my humorous response was in reply to this post.

but i like how you jump all over me for just replying to what was said to me.
classy.
shouldn't you be out farting in elevators or closing doors in front of pregnant women or something?

sounds like we need a truck load of these little gems in Uhall today.

I wasn't jumping down your throat, I was responding to what appeared to be confusion on the purpose of +60 ASH's..sorry.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Guess we can forget about rock hammer adjustments and bod book reworkings for a while...they can't even keep the servers running right now

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
sorry, first day back and work, blizzard outside, new partner, button on pants broke, my ambulance was left dirty ect ect ect.

as ive said a couple time, i recall reading what i stated above from a question asked years ago, it very well may have been changed since as we are talking about a LONG time ago, hell i think it was from when those +5 gloves first came out.

it very well was probably changed, im just saying i saw it said from one of the boss's that 100 was the hard cap for mining and items would not allow you go over as the code was not there to let it happen.

the time i would have to invest to hunt though old posts to find it does not sound appealing to me today AND i too run the +5 mining gloves on my GM miners, so im just as guilty of doing it as everyone else.

lets just forget i said anything and move on, maybe if they ever kick in that 'ask a dev' forum again we can ask it and get a current answer.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Maybe in the weak ass EC. My beautiful craftswoman can get over 120 skills and look fabulous at the same time.

They use that skill number somewhere in the calculations.

upload_2017-11-1_15-50-24.png

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Maybe in the weak ass EC. My beautiful craftswoman can get over 120 skills and look fabulous at the same time.

They use that skill number somewhere in the calculations.

View attachment 73779
maybe i should start posting my sarcastic smart ass comments in another color and font because it seems its been lost on a few people.
i will endeavor to highlight sarcasm going forward so as not to confuse people.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor

[sarcasm]your tailor looks great in that mild not hard on the eye color.[/sarcasm]

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Geebus, that's scary Poo, you picked purple for sarcasm too . . .
Hate to break it to you but that's not purple... that's more of a fuchsia... just saying.... Poo did pick purple.

Fuchsia Purple
See the difference?

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
i thought purple was amorous?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
i thought purple was amorous?
You subconsciously have a sexual desire my crafters outfit then.

Rock hammers need to have 100% chance of getting a granite per dig with 105 Mining.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hate to break it to you but that's not purple... that's more of a fuchsia... just saying.... Poo did pick purple.

Fuchsia Purple
See the difference?
Don't lie, you know you were thrilled the whole time you were attempting to rebuke my post. :p

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
they sell rock hammers that dont fail right? Why would they "give" you something that cuts down on their profit?
The problem with the Rock hammers you buy from the shop is they mostly just dig up Normal Granite.....
I can waste reward hammers on the normal rocks, the Shop bought ones should only be able to dig up Coloured Granite in my opinion.
Not just give you a guaranteed chance to dig up granite without failing.