• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Someone please lead me in the right direction..

• Thread starter ~Antzy~Pantz~
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
A

~Antzy~Pantz~

For a couple weeks now I have had this issue and i'm not sure how to fix it. Would love to not have to reinstall, if someone could tell me how to fix this I would appreciate it. In order for me to continue on with the game I have to click yes 3 times then ok on the log in screen. It's annoying!!!

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
tried clearing patch folder?

just wanted to be first to say it, I have no idea what I'm talking about :D

A

~Antzy~Pantz~

There is nothing running different then what has been running for the last 6 months.

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Weird. The url is at ask.com rather than uo.com or some other EA address. Is your default search ask.com?

I'd make sure my IE was properly patched, then try again. This error shouldn't keep you from patching; the error is with the web page the patch screen is trying to load.

A

~Antzy~Pantz~

My homepage is yahoo. Have not had any problems with that at all. But now that I think about it, im not sure when exactly it started doing this but my computer did do updates and updated me to service pack 3. Would that have something to do with it. Might of started after that, I can't really recall :(.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My computer will do the same thing from time to time. Usually when I'm having trouble patching, or UO has just patched recently and my firewall thinks that it's a new program, and disallows it access to the net.

R

RoycroftLS

Have you done any recent scans for spyware/malware? Or do you have any 3rd party toolbars installed in your IE browser? Those are the usual culprits for the redirection of a URL (as it appears that the patch info website is being redirected through ask.com in your screenshot).

Experimental

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Someone else had this problem a while back and I believe it turned out to be malware that had hijacked the uo page and redirected it to ask.com except in your case it looks like something is stopping the malware from finishing it's work.

Get Mozilla Firefox, set the options under the Tools -> Options (do each section) clean your comp of cookies and temp files then do a scan for malware and virii.
If you don't have an all-in-one program for cleaning, get a free trial of Tune-up utililities or Ace utilities (the appropriate one for your operating system as in Windows XP or Windows Vista)

Then make sure you have ad-aware, spy-bot, Windows defender and any other malware removal program that is appropriate for your operating system. Make sure you have at LEAST two.
Make sure your anti-virus is up to date and only have ONE antivirus running since they don't play well together.

After all this, you still may need to uninstall then reinstall UO.

In fact, after thinking about it, I'd uninstall UO then do the steps mentioned above bfore I reinstalled it.

A

~Antzy~Pantz~

K, I am doing a system scan right now, cleaned all cookies and such.. checking for adware and all that crap too.. Scans should be done soon. Thanks for the help guys, sure hope this fixes it :).

Nok

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi Antzy Pantz,

Good to hear you got it fixed.

Just so you know for next time, there are plenty of security tools in the UO Toolbar to help you with issues like this.