• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Some things I've noticed....

G

gjohnson5

I'm going to keep some notes here and yall can read if you will. I have noticed after upgrading my OS from Windows XP x64 to Vista X64 that my ping times to UO servers have jumped from 50-60 to over 200!

Yes the game is not very playable in this state. I have changed nothing about the hardware. The OS upgrade, and post sp2 hotfixes installed from http://kbupdate.info Also some issues on tcp autotune which was a feature introduced in Vista

So I am checking the state of my TCP settings now
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6002]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>netsh interface tcp show global
Querying active state...

TCP Global Parameters
----------------------------------------------
Receive-Side Scaling State : enabled
Chimney Offload State : disabled
Receive Window Auto-Tuning Level : normal
Add-On Congestion Control Provider : ctcp
ECN Capability : disabled
RFC 1323 Timestamps : disabled

C:\Windows\system32>netsh int tcp set global chimney=enabled
Ok.

Querying active state...

TCP Global Parameters
Chimney Offload State : enabled
ECN Capability : disabled

C:\Windows\system32>netsh interface tcp set global ecncapability=enabled
Ok.

Querying active state...

TCP Global Parameters
ECN Capability : enabled

C:\Windows\system32>netsh interface tcp set global timestamps=enabled
Ok.

Querying active state...

TCP Global Parameters
ECN Capability : enabled
RFC 1323 Timestamps : enabled

C:\Windows\system32>netsh interface ip show global
Querying active state...

General Global Parameters
---------------------------------------------
Default Hop Limit : 128 hops
Neighbor Cache Limit : 256 entries per interface
Route Cache Limit : 128 entries per compartment
Reassembly Limit : 16761024 bytes
ICMP Redirects : enabled
Source Routing Behavior : dontforward
Task Offload : enabled
Dhcp Media Sense : enabled
Media Sense Logging : enabled
MLD Level : all
MLD Version : version3
Multicast Forwarding : disabled
Group Forwarded Fragments : disabled
Randomize Identifiers : enabled
Address Mask Reply : disabled

Current Global Statistics
---------------------------------------------
Number of Compartments : 1
Number of NL clients : 7
Number of FL providers : 4

C:\Windows\system32>netstat -e -p tcp
Interface Statistics

Received Sent

Bytes 363659048 27727840
Unicast packets 284948 213960
Non-unicast packets 81176 5864
Discards 0 0
Errors 0 0
Unknown protocols 0

Active Connections

Proto Local Address Foreign Address State
TCP 127.0.0.1:27015 AMD64:49160 ESTABLISHED
TCP 127.0.0.1:49160 AMD64:27015 ESTABLISHED
TCP 127.0.0.1:49245 AMD64:49246 ESTABLISHED
TCP 127.0.0.1:49246 AMD64:49245 ESTABLISHED
TCP 127.0.0.1:49248 AMD64:49249 ESTABLISHED
TCP 127.0.0.1:49249 AMD64:49248 ESTABLISHED
TCP 192.168.1.5:50181 host36:http CLOSE_WAIT
TCP 192.168.1.5:50182 host36:1380 CLOSE_WAIT
TCP 192.168.1.5:50183 host36:1380 CLOSE_WAIT
TCP 192.168.1.5:50185 159.153.233.79:5001 ESTABLISHED
TCP 192.168.1.5:50232 gw-in-f138:http TIME_WAIT

C:\Windows\system32>netstat -t

Active Connections

Proto Local Address Foreign Address State Offload
tate

TCP 127.0.0.1:27015 AMD64:49160 ESTABLISHED InHost

TCP 127.0.0.1:49160 AMD64:27015 ESTABLISHED InHost

TCP 127.0.0.1:49245 AMD64:49246 ESTABLISHED InHost

TCP 127.0.0.1:49246 AMD64:49245 ESTABLISHED InHost

TCP 127.0.0.1:49248 AMD64:49249 ESTABLISHED InHost

TCP 127.0.0.1:49249 AMD64:49248 ESTABLISHED InHost

TCP 192.168.1.5:50237 host36:http CLOSE_WAIT InHost

TCP 192.168.1.5:50238 host36:1380 CLOSE_WAIT InHost

TCP 192.168.1.5:50239 host36:1380 CLOSE_WAIT InHost

TCP 192.168.1.5:50241 159.153.233.77:5001 ESTABLISHED InHost

C:\Windows\system32>

So I am satisfyied that chimney offload has been enabled at this point for UO and my interface is showing no errors.
I don't see the MTU setting so I will set it

C:\Windows\system32>netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface "1" mtu=1500 store=
sistent
Ok.

Setting registry values ss per http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=2574

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters

EnableTCPA = 1
SynAttackProtect = 1
TCPNoDelay = 1

The Receive Side Scaling should be enabled for dual core CPU's for parallel processing. Since this is a single core AMD 64 , I will disable...

C:\Windows\system32>netsh interface tcp set global rss=disabled
Ok.

Reboot after registry changes and check connection...

G

gjohnson5

Just for giggles , I turned off my Windows 7 laptop and tried UOSA again and the latency was reduced to 60ms.....

Also since typing this there was an update to my WNRD3300 wireless router and updated to the latest firmware

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12689/kw/wndr3300 latest firmware/r_id/100109

I'm not sure what Bill Gates has concocted for tcp compatibility in Windows 7, but I would suspect there are issues with the tcp stack in Win 7 that needs hotfixes for. Also the firmware update seems to certified for Windows 7 , yet the ping time increases. I will turn the laptop on and try again

Bascailly I just wanted to post this to show that ping times may not be network congestion. They could be incompatibilities with your network products

B

Beer_Cayse

and a lot of this is why I won't be upgrading to W7 any time soon. Along with the fact I (according to sources) need 3 separate licensed copies - 1 for each system I have. <sigh> Still fighting that one, tho.

As for UOSA - either EC or CC - on XP/SP3 I have no real performance issues, only ones related to the EC client itself. <shrug>

G

gjohnson5

Just for giggles , I turned off my Windows 7 laptop and tried UOSA again and the latency was reduced to 60ms.....

Also since typing this there was an update to my WNRD3300 wireless router and updated to the latest firmware

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12689/kw/wndr3300 latest firmware/r_id/100109

I'm not sure what Bill Gates has concocted for tcp compatibility in Windows 7, but I would suspect there are issues with the tcp stack in Win 7 that needs hotfixes for. Also the firmware update seems to certified for Windows 7 , yet the ping time increases. I will turn the laptop on and try again

Bascailly I just wanted to post this to show that ping times may not be network congestion. They could be incompatibilities with your network products
Totally false alarm. The next time I loaded UOSA , the ping times were back to 200ms.... Changed DefaultTTL to 64 in
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters]

Reboot again

G

gjohnson5

Come to find out Microsoft has a hotfix for using the netsh command and causing some values to go out of range
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967224

However I have already downloaded and installed that hotfix and my values were still incorrect set. SO it seems that hotfix is broken, so setting manually

Changing values as per speedguide tcp/ip patch
http://www.speedguide.net/files/vista/SG_Vista_TcpIp_patch.cmd
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Tcpip\Parameters]
TcpMaxDataRetransmissions changed to 7
TcpTimedWaitDelay changed to 30
TcpUseRFC1122UrgentPointer changed to 0
TcpFinWait2Delay changed to default 120

So need to remember if using the netsh command , I need to check the registry for these values... sigh rebooting

G

gjohnson5

Need to update all the changes I've made. I didn't notices other values being out of range from using netsh and have changed them.

as per the speedguide patch mentioned above
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\ServiceProvider]
CHO >> SG_Vista_TcpIp_Patch.reg [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\ServiceProvider]
ECHO >> SG_Vista_TcpIp_Patch.reg "LocalPriority"=dword:00000004
ECHO >> SG_Vista_TcpIp_Patch.reg "HostsPriority"=dword:00000005
ECHO >> SG_Vista_TcpIp_Patch.reg "DnsPriority"=dword:00000006
ECHO >> SG_Vista_TcpIp_Patch.reg "NetbtPriority"=dword:00000007

Some more common settings
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters]
EnablePMTUBHDetect was 255 now set to 0
EnablePMTUBHDetect was set to 255 is now 1
QualifyingDestinationThreshold was like 4 billion and is now set to 3.
This seems to be an undocumented setting that deals with determining if a destination host is unreachable and hence killing the connection. Sometimes computers without default gateways may run into this problem.
This registry setting fails to be found in technet documents. Also, this is new logic introduced by Microsoft in Vista that does not appear in XP :-(
Tcp1323Opts was 2 now 3. The timestamps add 12 bytes to the frame of each packet , however from enterprise backups I still do, this option in long transmissions which saturate the network , this option increases speed.
I will keep it at 3
KeepAliveInterval and KeepAliveTime are both 4294967295 for some strange reason. Probably the above bug from using netsh. I will change to default technet values
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc957548.aspx
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc957549.aspx

another reboot...

G

gjohnson5

and a lot of this is why I won't be upgrading to W7 any time soon. Along with the fact I (according to sources) need 3 separate licensed copies - 1 for each system I have. <sigh> Still fighting that one, tho.

As for UOSA - either EC or CC - on XP/SP3 I have no real performance issues, only ones related to the EC client itself. <shrug>
To be honest the only reason I upgraded to Vista is because you CANNOT UPGRADE from XP to Win 7. But I failed to remember that in x64 land , there is no upgrade from XP to Vista either. The installer FORCES YOU to install a new copy of the OS. In x32 land , you can do a straight upgrade.

This upgrade probably wasn't necessary, but my disk controller aha-29160 doesn't have signed drivers yet for Win 7. So I will have to ebay a 29320 or wait for drivers.

Lefty

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To be honest the only reason I upgraded to Vista is because you CANNOT UPGRADE from XP to Win 7. But I failed to remember that in x64 land , there is no upgrade from XP to Vista either. The installer FORCES YOU to install a new copy of the OS. In x32 land , you can do a straight upgrade.

This upgrade probably wasn't necessary, but my disk controller aha-29160 doesn't have signed drivers yet for Win 7. So I will have to ebay a 29320 or wait for drivers.
This is true as far as buying box, but when talking new systems this is possible. For instance my distributors often offer systems that were downgraded from Vista to XP pro and have a free upgrade to Windows 7.

So if the system had downgrade rights, the upgrade rights would apply to the original allotment.

G

gjohnson5

This is true as far as buying box, but when talking new systems this is possible. For instance my distributors often offer systems that were downgraded from Vista to XP pro and have a free upgrade to Windows 7.

So if the system had downgrade rights, the upgrade rights would apply to the original allotment.
It's an old box that I will have to buy a copy of Windows 7 and install. I will need a disk controller as well before I can do that, but it's a trivial swap. Add the new disk controller and installer drivers , change the scsi cable to the new scsi controll and turn on box. Should be that simple

ANyway Is there some issue with UOSA on vista x64? For some reason my chars will run and PHYSICALLY stop. Its not like I'm telling the character to stop running. It's like the server is telling my char to stop running. Maybe record a video of the game play and post it? So I cannot run away from paragons or anything fast really SO Ishnear , Ter Mer and Abyss are not really playable anymore. 2d seems fine.