• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Some preliminary testing for next section of Smith FAQ

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Seeing as I'm training up all my smiths to 120 (to make occasional BOD running more fulfilling), I happened into a few benchmarks. After all, someone needed to test out the ML items for inclusion in the FAQ...

Item Crafted: Royal Circlet (6 ingots, craftable at 70.0 skill; requires Mondain's Legacy)

Tests were done with 105 mining (GM with +5 Ringmail mining gloves), giving a 69.3% maximum return for ingots (rounded down). For the tested item in question, the return would be 4 back out of 6 used in each success (2/3, or roughly 66.666%)

All salvage was done using a salvage bag. The +1 ingot return property of the bag meant that I would instead recover 5 ingots per 6 used per success.

Losses from crafting failures tracked seperately.

Data was partially lost from first test due to a computer glitch.

Test 1: Started with 117 tool uses, sitting at an auction, using the forge and anvil 2 floors down from my seat (gotta love how the forge/anvil checks ignore the Z axis :lol: )
Skill Start: 109.5 (79.0% chance to craft).
Got Guaranteed Gain first swing. Proceeded to get 4 more gains, the last coincidentally occurring on the last use of my last tool.
End first session: 110.0 (80.0% success chance), having used about 120 to 140 ingots (successes & ingots used were the lost data)

Test 2: Started with 400 tool uses, at home, 5 hours later. GGS was not therefore a factor, nor would any system that might give quick early gains (the speed at which I gained from 109.6 to 110.0 was suggestive of the "power hour" system that predated my introduction to UO).
Skill Start: 110.0 (80.0% success).
Skill gains: 2 (to 110.2 / 80.4% success). Note that the two gains occurred in the first 160 attempts, however.
Successful skill uses: 317/400 (79.25%)
Ingots lost in failures: 199 over 83 failures.
Ingots lost from salvage process: 317
Total ingots expended/lost: 516.

While writing this message the first time, a computer glitch caused me to have to reboot, before beginning a 3rd session. I will post this, then log back in for the next session.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
3rd session:

Same criteria as before.
Skill start: 110.2 (chance to make: 80.4%)
Skill end: 111.1 (chance to make: 82.2%)
Total gain of 0.9 skill

Attempts: 630
Successes: 511
Failures: 119
Overall: 81.111%

Starting Ingots: 900
Ending Ingots: 218
Expended in Salvaging: 511
Lost to crafting failures: 171
Total lost: 682

Total, sessions 2 & 3:

1030 skill uses
828 successes/202 failures
Skill gains 11 (110.0 to 111.1) - NONE of which are attributable to GGS.
Ingots consumed: 1198; 828 of which were lost in salvaging/recycling, 370 due to failures to craft.

Note that these items (royal circlets) use only 6 ingots to craft, but their difficulty (and chance to gain) is between that of Plate Legs (20 ingots each) and Plate Tunics (25 ingots). As such, one can get all the way to 120 skill on them. The chance to make these 100% of the time occurs at 120 skill.

About 1200 ingots to go 1/9 the way from 110 to 120 is a HECK of a lot better than any of the previous training methods (which typically used 4-6 times as many ingots to gain a similar amount). Considering the "sweet spot" (60% chance to make, the region where the best gains start) starts at 100 skill for these, the only time one will probably ever get gains from making platemail parts, any more, will be when you have to fill a BOD with the character you're training.

A

Azureal

Epic win. I have a second smith sitting at around the 84 mark. Have not looked forward to the massive ingot burn coming up, however, with this data it seems it wont hurt quite so much.

Nice work Basara.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
At 84, you've got a 28% chance to make. Heck, a good talisman would put you into the gain sweet spot for it, then you could take the talisman off once you hit the 90s.

A

Azureal

With a 28% chance to make, would I still gain on fails? At 6 ingots per item, Id be more than happy to burn through on fails.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You can gain on any chance that has at least a 0.2% to succeed, up to the percentage you're scrolled to (120 PS = 120%)

It's just that the gains are fastest between 60-80%