• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

So???

• Thread starter Anon McDougle
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
A

Anon McDougle

now that WOW is free up to level 20 Lord of the rings has housing what are the plans for UO ??

W

Woodsman

now that WOW is free up to level 20 Lord of the rings has housing what are the plans for UO ??
UO has a two week trial. Unless you are blind, you can hit level 20 in WOW in less than two weeks.

LOTRO housing is not free, and is actually really ****ty, which is surprising since it could be a major moneymaker for LOTRO. You have to pay for it, then pay a weekly upkeep. You can only store a few things, you only get one container per tier, and you have to pay for that container. You can't use your house as a workshop because they prefer you do your crafting in communal areas. And the whole hook system is incredibly ********. I still can't believe how bad they've ****ed up housing in LOTRO since so few MMOs have housing and it could make them a lot of money. I look at the housing forums every so often to see if things have changed, but it's still the same complaints.

They do look pretty, and if you don't pay your weekly fees, you don't lose stuff - it just goes to escrow, but it's still incredibly ********.

The thing I really don't get is the stupid weekly upkeep and the limited storage. These houses are basically instanced - they open up new zones for housing as needed. It's something that could really tie a lot more players to LOTRO. I can understand not wanting players to craft in their homes, but some of the other things...

Now things may have changed since I last played, but looking at their official forums, I don't think so.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pft, you can reach level 20 in half a week with normal gameplay (not power-gaming). A power gamer would reach level 20 in one day.

Basically level 20 is nothing. Can't really do much unless you're max level anyways. Or close to it. Not much different than the free trial for UO. Except you can be a crappy level for free for as long as you want.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hook system? what's that?
I haven't started playing yet (need to sell all my stuff first)
I assume the "hook system" is basically the whole free to play until level 20. By the time you reach level 20 they will hope your "hooked" and will pay to play then.

W

Woodsman

hook system? what's that?
It's pretty ******** is what it is. You will be facepalming a lot after being used to housing in UO. My guess is they are trying to really limit the inventory of players. Maybe they are worried about it being a dragon the servers if people start keeping more items or something.

Housing - Lotro-Wiki.com

Currently, only Decoration Items can be displayed within a home, so characters can't leave their equipment lying around on the floor. Objects are limited by category (i.e. large wall, small wall, large furniture, small furniture, large yard, small yard, etc.) for placing in pre-determined spaces called decorating hooks. Some decoration items are only available for Kinship Houses (such as the Huge Yard and Enormous Yard items).

Decoration items placed in the decorating hooks can be rotated in the small window accessed by right-clicking the decorating hook. Decorations can be crafted from a recipe sold by the neighborhood vendors. Players can even purchase ambient music to be played automatically when characters are inside the home. To apply the decorations, players first enter Decoration Mode by clicking on the small icon on lower left of the mini-map.
Standard houses offer 22 interior decorating hooks, 5 exterior decorating hooks, and have one 30-slot chest available for purchase. Specifically:

Outdoors there are three hooks for small yard items, one large yard, and one doormat.
Indoors you can specify wall colour and surface, floor colour and surface, ambient music, four large wall, three small wall, three small furniture, two large furniture, three thin furniture, and two small floor, split between an entry room and a back room.
Deluxe houses offer 47 interior decorating hooks, 7 exterior decorating hooks, and up to two 30-slot chests can be purchased. Four different varieties of deluxe houses are available:
Lotro Housing Guide | LOTRO - The Lord of the Rings Online MMORPG News, Guides, Quests, Web Comic, Community, Information

Hooks - types and numbers

As we have noticed, a lot of people bought or crafted some items, and then realize - they can't "hook" them in their houses. We have made a small investigation in our neighborhood and here is what we have found:

Prices
There are 3 different types of homes in each race neighborhood:

Tier 1 - Standard: A small private home, usually 16 in each neighborhood, price around 1g, with a 50s upkeep per week, 1 Chest, with 19 Interior/5 Exterior placeholders for objects.
Tier 2 - Deluxe: A deluxe private home, usually 10 in each neighborhood, price around 7g, with a 150s upkeep per week, 2 Chest, with 45 Interior/7 Exterior placeholders for objects.
Tier 3 - Kinship: A house available to a leader of a kinship, usually 4 in each neighborhood, price around 14-17g, with a 300s upkeep per week, 3 Chest, with 71 Interior/10 Exterior placeholders for objects, (but purchasing limited to Kinship Rank 7)

If you don't pay the upkeep
your house will vanish and the items can be retrieved from Escrow.
If you abandon your house you will get no money back!
House - Lotro-Wiki.com

Each house can be furnished with Decoration Items by placing them in the appropriate decorating hook. The tables below summarize the decorating hooks available in each type of house.