• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

So, now we have 3 clients?

• Thread starter Loqucious
  • Start date
  • Watchers 2
L

Loqucious

I just don't understand this, can someone please explain this to me?

Thank you.

J

Jeremy

No. Right now we have 2D and KR. When SA ships, we will have 2D and the SA client.

L

love2winalot

Yes, but if you add SA, Keep 2d, and keep KR, and bring back 3D, then everyone would be happy. Now, you would be bankrupt in less than 90 days, but WE would be happy, hehe ah hahahaha:gun:

deadite

Sage
It's My Birthday
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No. Right now we have 2D and KR. When SA ships, we will have 2D and the SA client.
Sweet. Thanks for answering Jeremy. There seemed to be a lot of confusion about whether the KR client would be "retired" once the SA client was released.

I'm guessing the KR client will just patch into the SA client? Or will we need to uninstall it and install the new SA client? Actually, this is probably way premature to ask.

L

Loqucious

Sweet. Thanks for answering Jeremy. There seemed to be a lot of confusion about whether the KR client would be "retired" once the SA client was released.

I'm guessing the KR client will just patch into the SA client? Or will we need to uninstall it and install the new SA client? Actually, this is probably way premature to ask.
Excellent question. And thank you Jeremy for responding so quickly. Good to hear from you again.

M

MoonBeam[TBD]

So does that mean we can still play 2D with the new expansion?
I only ask this cause I dont have time to relearn to play UO..

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So does that mean we can still play 2D with the new expansion?
I only ask this cause I dont have time to relearn to play UO..
The SA expansion will work in 2D.

Which makes me happy, cause now I can play it when it comes out.

J

Jeremy

Picky, picky.

And yes, it's premature to ask about patching vs. reinstalling. I asked it myself last week :)

Elric_Soban

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm glad to see that you guys are serious about improving the client. Don't get me wrong, I actually really like KR but it's so riddled with bugs and performance issues.

Oubviously don't be releasing something half-baked, but can you give us an idea as to how far along you are with the new client? Just started or a ways in? Screenshots? Hints?

EDIT: I'm also glad to see that you're actually posting again and communicating with the playerbase. It's been a while!

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
As they described the SA client, it is more of a rebuild, than an upgrade, of KR.

Think of it as a classic car.

You can repair it (KR: Patched up to SA specs), but there will still be issues with the repaired items.

OR, you can strip it down to the chassis, refurb the chassis, and rebuild it with new/remanufactured components to eliminate a lot of the fail points that would just be covered up by simple repairs. (the SA client).

The latter takes longer to do, but when done, you'll have to do a LOT less maintenance after the fact. Frankly, it should have been done to the 2D client back around LBR or AOS, and a lot of the bugs we see in 2D would have been long gone. (and of course, now without the original programmers, it would be almost impossible to do).

Hemisphere

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Basara, by the time LBR and AoS were around, the dev team were already without most of the original programmers, which is probably why they didn't do what you suggested.

M

MoonBeam[TBD]

I'm all for a new client .. but when 3D was taken away I haven't to this day been able to fully play again cause,
1. I dont know 2D options list and
2. the boxes and chests give me a head ache to look in

Also I only get like an hour a day to play (little 2 year old demands alot of time... who knew hehe)

I've jumped from wow to conan while still trying to figure out UO and good old trusty UO is still number one and I'd hate to see it ruined..

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
True, Hemi, but at least they had SOME people to draw on - by SE I think they were entirely gone.

L

Lord Kynd

all bow to the death of KR :p
didn't we tell you it was going to fail at the begining ? oh wait thats on the old boards and lost prolly.
so, let's see what this client looks like.

will it be a lag fest like KR ?

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
all bow to the death of KR :p
didn't we tell you it was going to fail at the begining ? oh wait thats on the old boards and lost prolly.
so, let's see what this client looks like.

will it be a lag fest like KR ?

It's not like the death of anything... think of it... like a caterpillar turning into a butterfly..

Hemisphere

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So it's going to eat tonnes of resources, take a ridiculously long time to come out, and then die shortly after release? ;)

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
So it's going to eat tonnes of resources, take a ridiculously long time to come out, and then die shortly after release? ;)
That one made me LOL IRL *grins*

Grimm nice to see you around!

I'm totally excited about this..I was totally excited about KR, I love KR, I can even PvP in KR! WOWZA! And my doll...she was the last straw...I refused to play until my doll was as hawt as me :lick:

CatHat saved her *bows deeply*

I still play both clients but I'm glad I have a choice. And I hope that the female gargs are gonna be hawt..in a mean I'm gonna slice your throat kinda way :D

I can't WAIT for the TownHall in Chicago. Me wants more info!!!

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

LOL! Good Lord Hemi and Coppelia! Way to mess up a pretty metaphor!

... now I have to go google pretty butterflies. Thanks.

C

Coppelia

LOL! Good Lord Hemi and Coppelia! Way to mess up a pretty metaphor!

... now I have to go google pretty butterflies. Thanks.
You should have used the metaphor of the dragon : KR was the hatchling, SA the dragon ^^
:D