• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

So, Cal Crowner had a question in his interview over on UOForums ...

Ailish

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, more of an implied question regarding who/how better to communicate.

"It’s very difficult to find the balance between too little and too much information. If anyone has any recommendations or examples of who has done it well throughout history, please pass it on."

I dont have a suggestion of a person, but I do have some suggestions. Lets start with the uo.com website and the Herald. There was a reason it had sections before. Ease of communication. It has since been changed to a "blog" format, because that was what Sanya preferred. The problem is, Sanya was more "chatty" than Jeremy is. That isnt a criticism of Jeremy, it is a simple fact. Jeremy is good at gathering information and transferring it to the correct people. She isnt real great at keeping up a running dialogue. I have several suggestions on this topic.

1 - Bring back the "In Concept" and "In Development" things. Add in an "In QA". Now, I do not suggest that everything be laid out there for the world to see. I suggest picking 2 or 3 things that qualify and post them up.

"In Concept" would have a statement "These are things we are talking about, might like customer feedback on, but they are NOT in development and are NOT promised to become reality."

"In Development" would have 2-3 things that are being prepared for the next 1
-2 publishes. A good example of this would be "New Plants" and "Tenth Year Vet Rewards" as well as "Halloween Content" or "Christmas Gifts" and "Publish 55 Live Content".

"In QA" would literally be a few snippets from the upcoming patch/publish. You could simply move the "In Development" things up to "In QA" so people can see that the process IS moving.

2 - Change the Five on Friday to the Weekly News. Let it follow the format of this weeks FoF (08/29/08). QA Requests, Townhall News (if applicable), Fansite News & In Game Events, and What's To Come.
Add in a section for Weekly Developer Update. Use this section of the "FoF" to get a little blurb from at least one developer. Something like "Leurocian says: I am busy this week working on the artwork for the new plants" or "Sakkarah say: This is the down-low on the new plant system ...."
Give it its own section or link on the front page so that it is easily referenced.

3 - Instead of gathering up questions to answer once a week, Jeremy can use the "blog style" Herald to answer them as she gets the answers. That means more posts on uo.com more often and more reason for people to go there. It also means a better feeling of communication.
If Jeremy gets a question like "What do I do if I am not happy with a GM's actions" then she knows the answer right away and can post it immediately that day. If she gets a question like "What is the formula for firebreath damage" she can shoot off an e-mail for some code diving (or do the code diving herself, as I hear she is learning to do) and post the answer as soon as she has it.

It would be a good place to address community concerns. "We banned 150 accounts yesterday for duping or being in posession of unusual amounts of duped items" as well as "Guest Post from the Producer"

She can also add in things like "We noticed something strange when looking for this, so we are gonna take a closer look." If she made an effort to post something at least three times a week - even if it is just "Well, the live team is in Japan this week training their counterparts in ... (whatever) and enjoying sushi". If it is going to be a blog-style Herald, then use it in a blog style! It would also be the obvious place to announce any shard or server issues.

4 - Known Bugs. Put a running list on the website. Obviously exploits and dupes could not be put there, but things like "Joining the Thieves Guild" and "Quiver's that hold too many arrows". Add a link going to this section on the Log In page! Not everyone reads the fansites ....

5 - Instead of having the Live Events as a banner at the top of the page (which alot don't realize is even clickable), give it an obvious link or section. Then, when Draconi updates it, Jeremy can say so in the Herald.

A couple other things. Instead of hearing from the various people who are above Jeremy and the Developers once a quarter or less, you guys need to come up with something to say at least once a month, and have it put in the Herald. "Cal's Month In Review" and "What Is To Come" would be fine. You know "This month we have had the release of Publish XX and the Mad Mage event. Our team is still hard at work on moving the event forward and we are very excited about the next publish. We got some great ideas from the community and the Japanese team we are investigating. The art team is busy fixing the male paperdoll for KR ..." and so on. In other words ... TALK TO US!

Last, can we PLEASE have a list of the current developers and team easily accessable and viewable?! When the list changes, change the list!

(And Jeremy, I know you are here! I don't have an e-mail address for Mr. Crowner, so if you would be so kind as to pass a link on to him ...)

O

Ozymandies

Careful, Ailish, you may end up in charge of something if you keep posting ideas this good.

OZ

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Careful, Ailish, you may end up in charge of something if you keep posting ideas this good.

OZ
Agreed. Between this and our shared views on principles with customer service, I may have to start a fan club.

Ailish

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

OZ
Pfft, if I had the paper qualifications I would jump at something like that :p I just wish the appropriate people would read and respond :<

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So when are you going to replace Jeremy? :p
Now that's not necessary *wags finger*
Jeremy did a great job at the Seattle town hall and I think now that the muzzles have been taken off and SA can be talked about, we'll find out more. I do like what Ailish suggests to enhance communication with players and would like to think Jeremy herself would agree.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Now that's not necessary *wags finger*
Jeremy did a great job at the Seattle town hall and I think now that the muzzles have been taken off and SA can be talked about, we'll find out more. I do like what Ailish suggests to enhance communication with players and would like to think Jeremy herself would agree.
Yeah, I guess, but there was plenty that we could have been told about that wasn't SA-related the last few months.

L

love2winalot

Please, have someone put in charge of the main login/patch screen, and keep it updated. How hard can it be? It is today still talking about the 6, and to stay out of Luna.

Draxous

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think Jeremy does a great job. I think she can't take constructive suggestions and expand upon what she does... but she does a great job.

my 2 cents

Ailish

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree she does a good job. That is why I specified that I was NOT criticising her, only stating the facts. I have alot of sympathy for not being easily able to keep up running dialogue. I also find it hard to do and have to push myself to do so :)

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Me... I think the thing they need to work on most is ACTUALLY COMMUNICATING. I mean, let's be honest... the last Developer's post on the Herald... June 2007. That's sad.

Who has done it good throughout history?

Blizzard.

They post what's coming up in publishes (whether people like it or not). They have coming soon's. They have "here's what's on test center."

UO pretty much looks like it relies on the deplorable five on friday and these forums for communication. That's not good.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Here's another thing to add to that list.

Give the current Engineers access to the "Shard Issues" link in the "Support" section (and change it to "Server issues"), and make it mandatory that they post something within 15 minutes of a shard, login server, reward server, or housing server incident occuring, as well as within 15 minutes of the fix going into effect.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Me... I think the thing they need to work on most is ACTUALLY COMMUNICATING. I mean, let's be honest... the last Developer's post on the Herald... June 2007. That's sad.

You'll note that most of the truly important communications channels that existed on that web page, stopped getting input in June 2007 (like the "Shard Issues" section that was supposed to report unexpected downtimes and emergency maintenance). That's apparently when the bad idea of the blog style took over completely.

Ailish

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You'll note that most of the truly important communications channels that existed on that web page, stopped getting input in June 2007 (like the "Shard Issues" section that was supposed to report unexpected downtimes and emergency maintenance). That's apparently when the bad idea of the blog style took over completely.
The thing is, blog style in and of itself is not bad, but we still need the Shard Issues section, and need it to be updated ASAP! Just in the last 48 hours we have had login server issues two times with zero mention on the main page. NOT EVERYONE COMES TO COMMUNITY FORUMS! And they should not have to! We should be able to rely on the UO homepage for information, like it used to be.

I remember when I was playing before (this was from 3rd Dawn Beta to right after SE was announced) I checked the UO.com page everyday before coming to stratics. Because there was real information there. All the time. Story line info, BNN articles, shard issues, info from developers.

It feels like now we are in the age of no info ... and that really should change. The blog format isnt bad, but it needs to be paired with other things and used in a slightly different manner.