• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Smuggler's Edge???

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, it's been many years since I've played and some new items have been added. I am trying to research all of my options to help me decide if returning to a paid for account is the way I go after the RtB this month.

So I see the smuggler's edge is a new thief item to be used for stealing from monsters (kinda lame, but could be a way to earn some cash between marks). It appears the only way to get this item is from a token. I didn't see a specific item labeled "smuggler's edge" at the origin store. Is this tucked away in one of their package deals, or have they discontinued selling it?

If I do come back it does seem like a nice item for a thief to carry...la

Winter

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
I've never used the Smuggler's Edge myself, but I can not find it for sale online any more. UOGamecodes is defunct, and it doesn't appear in the Origin store.

Kolka

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Patron
They stopped selling it a while ago. I don't think it was ever a token, just an item you got from the UO store. There are usually some available in game though.

Shelra

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, it's been many years since I've played and some new items have been added. I am trying to research all of my options to help me decide if returning to a paid for account is the way I go after the RtB this month.

So I see the smuggler's edge is a new thief item to be used for stealing from monsters (kinda lame, but could be a way to earn some cash between marks). It appears the only way to get this item is from a token. I didn't see a specific item labeled "smuggler's edge" at the origin store. Is this tucked away in one of their package deals, or have they discontinued selling it?

If I do come back it does seem like a nice item for a thief to carry...la

As I recall, and I've only done it to monsters in the Solen Hives, I didn't use my smuggler's edge to get items off them. I just snuck up from behind and bam! they never knew what hit them! ;p Does the smuggler's edge give an advantage?

Winter

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
... Does the smuggler's edge give an advantage?
If I recall correctly, you get a small percentage bonus on chance to steal, but there are rare items that are only available through the edge - the Smuggler's Lantern (100 colors) is the only one that comes to mind though, available ingame for about 400,000 gold.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I saw it for sale on uostock for $4.99.. said in stock. Never used their services so I have no idea how reliable they are.
Looks like they've slashed the prices to $3.99, but you are right, who knows if they are legit...la

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Does the smuggler's edge give an advantage?
When you succeed in stealing an item and have a chance to steal a rare item, your stealing skill is temporarily set up among 80.0-110.0(random). If your stealing skill is under 100.0 and temporary stealing skill is also under 100.0, your rare item stealing fails due to the shortage of the skill.

When your stealing skill is over 100.0, it serves as the minimum guaranteed skill, and a higher value is adopted. If your stealing skill is over 100.0, you can get a bonus to the appearance ratio of a rare item.
100.0-109.9: +1%
110.0-119.9: +2%
110.0-119.9: +3%
In addition to the existing rare items, the following two rare items may be able to be stolen only at the time of stealing with a smuggler's edge.

Smuggler's Lantern:
Lantern with spell channeling 100 colors

Smuggler's Tool Box:
You can pick up 5-12 lockpicks by consuming 1 charge.
1 charge is recovered every 24 hours (Max: 10 charges).
A weapon, you can steal an item 5% of the time when your attack hits a monster. It can’t be imbued and power of fortifying can’t be used on it.

...la

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Looks like they've slashed the prices to $3.99, but you are right, who knows if they are legit...la
Or if they deliver to Siege. I scoured the site and every where I looked it states they deliver to all servers. However, their gold prices are the same for seige and the prodo servers so I suspect they aren't even acknowledging Siege as an official server. Dunno. Might be worth $4 just to find out.

James Moriarty

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I have had one since they came out, they stopped working for a while and you didn't get any of special loot from monsters, then they (EA) took it off their store. I am not sure if it still works or not.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have had one since they came out, they stopped working for a while and you didn't get any of special loot from monsters, then they (EA) took it off their store. I am not sure if it still works or not.
Once again, the thief profession is dealt a blow and nothing happens...guess it doesn't matter who is running the show, the thief profession will never get developer love...la

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I saw it for sale on uostock for $4.99.. said in stock. Never used their services so I have no idea how reliable they are.
As most of those places only sell duped items.... I highly doubt it'll be available thru them on Siege.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When you succeed in stealing an item and have a chance to steal a rare item, your stealing skill is temporarily set up among 80.0-110.0(random). If your stealing skill is under 100.0 and temporary stealing skill is also under 100.0, your rare item stealing fails due to the shortage of the skill.

When your stealing skill is over 100.0, it serves as the minimum guaranteed skill, and a higher value is adopted. If your stealing skill is over 100.0, you can get a bonus to the appearance ratio of a rare item.
100.0-109.9: +1%
110.0-119.9: +2%
110.0-119.9: +3%
In addition to the existing rare items, the following two rare items may be able to be stolen only at the time of stealing with a smuggler's edge.

Smuggler's Lantern:
Lantern with spell channeling 100 colors

Smuggler's Tool Box:
You can pick up 5-12 lockpicks by consuming 1 charge.
1 charge is recovered every 24 hours (Max: 10 charges).
A weapon, you can steal an item 5% of the time when your attack hits a monster. It can’t be imbued and power of fortifying can’t be used on it.

...la

There is some more good from stealing from Monsters http://uo2.stratics.com/miscellaneous/stealing-from-monsters http://www.uoguide.com/Monster_Stealables

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Winter

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
At one time, I tried to run a vendor with the potions and balms stolen from critters. They are nice, except the cool down periods are too long. Most players don't' know what they are and sales were too slow to sustain a vendor.

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm always trying to steal from monsters to determine which ones drop good stuff. Or at least useful stuff. I think the problem is that the gold always sits in the first slot in the new backpacks and thus is the first thing stolen.

@TheScoundrelRico I'll share a couple hot spots for marks in game. There are still a few that the citizens of siege frequent pretty regularly and usually with nice stuff on them. ;)

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I tried my smuggler's edge last night. Does it just just have to be in your pack? When I had it equipped I got "you must have both hands free to steal"

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I tried my smuggler's edge last night. Does it just just have to be in your pack? When I had it equipped I got "you must have both hands free to steal"
That would make sense (not having it equipped). Hearing that the last one that sold on Siege sold for 31 million and the brokers who sell them don't transfer to Siege, I won't be able to test it out (or own one) any time soon...la

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I've been stealing stuff while you've been gone, surprisingly a lot of people still bring uninsured items to fel...
*ahem* anyway I have an SE but haven't ever used it because it confused the hell out of me LOL must have hands free to steal must have item equipped to get the bonus so I guess I need swordsmanship?
*blinks*
I have one on Catskills if you want to try it out. I don't know if you will find much use for it as it's designed for uhh what was that illegal term.... barrel thieves? No no that's not it...

Hinotori

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When you kill something with the SE, it's the hits during the fight that give you a chance to get the rare items. You don't actively use the stealing skill. Only can get one item per creature with it.

When I get bored I go kill stuff with it for the lanterns.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When you kill something with the SE, it's the hits during the fight that give you a chance to get the rare items. You don't actively use the stealing skill. Only can get one item per creature with it.

When I get bored I go kill stuff with it for the lanterns.
So you actually have to kill them? Does the loot end up on their corpse or does it pop into your pack?

Can you hit them (would require melee skill) then drop the blade and and try stealing?...la

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm always trying to steal from monsters to determine which ones drop good stuff. Or at least useful stuff. I think the problem is that the gold always sits in the first slot in the new backpacks and thus is the first thing stolen.
I think the highest the fame of the monsters the highest the chances at stealing potions...

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think the highest the fame of the monsters the highest the chances at stealing potions...

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good point. I think the toughest monster I've tried and was successful with was an Ogre. Tried a Grimm in the pumpkin patch and the new red monster that was lurking in the Brit graveyard last night (so many changes in the last 6 years) with about 10 tries each, I never did nick anything from them...la

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Hinotori

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So you actually have to kill them? Does the loot end up on their corpse or does it pop into your pack?

Can you hit them (would require melee skill) then drop the blade and and try stealing?...la
Don't have to kill them. I go do low level champ spawn stuff in Ilsh so it tends to die even with me not having anatomy. Just lots of targets makes it go quick

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I may just put fencing on my thief and take off snooping.. player stealing is useless these days on LS...

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I may just put fencing on my thief and take off snooping.. player stealing is useless these days on LS...
Hasn't that been the case since insurance was created? You know you want to play Siege :)

Then again, I've been training other skills since my return. I've been able to steal a couple of items while I've been playing. Then again, those items were from one player. It's kinda tough to be a thief when it seems everyone that is currently playing is running a template with hiding and stealth...la