• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

+ Smithing Hammer

R

redsnow

I have a +60 smith hammer. Can i equip it in my hand and use another hammer and still get the bonus? Will it still take a charge off it? I dont want to use it up until im ready to make something truly great. Thanks

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The only way to activate it is to hold it in your weapon hand. You can use a different hammer (such as a runic hammer) in your backpack while you are holding it. Each time you craft or enhance something while holding it, you will use a charge.

But here is something very important: You only need to hold a +60 if it is required to have a 100% chance to make something exceptional. It doesn't add to the intensity of an item and it doesn't add any properties. As a Legendary Smith, I can make almost everything exceptional, but for Plate Armor, I need to hold a +10 ASH for the Helm, Gloves, Arms, and Gorget. I need a +15 to make Plate Tunics and Legs. I need to hold a +30 to make some of the ML weapons.

I only hold a +60 ASH when I'm trying to enhance something. Even with a +60 ASH, I still fail most of the time when trying to enhance, but at least it does help.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It will take a charge off it, regardless of what actual tool is used to craft, PLUS the tool used..

For example, you equip it for using a gold runic hammer. Making something with the gold hammer will take one charge off the runic, and one charge off the ancient hammer.

NOTE:

Nearly everything, if not everything, can be made using a lesser hammer and a talisman. You should use the +60 ONLY to enhance items.

Assuming that a person has at least a +25% Exceptional Blacksmithing talisman*

1. At 120 Smithing, without a hammer, but with a +25% Exceptional Blacksmith talisman
a. If the talisman has a 10% or better normal Blacksmithing bonus, ALL of the recipe items can be crafted 100%, but with varying chances of exceptional (see next few entries), if possible.
b. A smith can get 100% exceptional on anything up to the difficulty of Platemail Gloves and Daisho.

2. At 120 Smithing, a +25% Exceptional Blacksmithy talisman, and a +10 Ancient Smithing Hammer.
a. With no normal Blacksmithy bonus, can craft everything EXCEPT Chaos & Order Shields, Dragonscale Breastplate, Tessen, Platemail Do, and the Kabutos, at 100% normal.
b. if the talisman has at least 20% normal Blacksmithy bonus, ALL blacksmithy items will be at 100% normal crafting.
c. with that 25% exceptional bonus, Everything up to War Cleavers will be 100%. Swamp Dragon Barding deeds will be 95% exceptional. All recipe items that can be made exceptional will be 90%.

3. With 120 Smithing, a +25% Exceptional talisman, and a +15 ASH...
a. ALL Smithing items except for the Platemail Do and the Kabutos are 100% normal to make, even without a normal bonus talisman. (the Do is 96% chance to craft, the kabutos 90%)
b. All ML Recipe items that can be made exceptional, are 100% exceptional at this point.
c. Only various pieces of Dragonscale (sleeves, legs, breast), Samurai empire plate, Lajatang, Tessen, Order shield & chaos Shield are less than 100% exceptional.

4.A. With 120 Smithing, NO talisman at all, and a +30 ASH
a. ALL smithing items are 100% chance to craft.
b. All items up to and including applicable recipe items and the Dragon Sleeves, are 100% to make exceptional.

4.B. As 4.A., with a 25% Exceptional talisman
ALL smithing items (except the craftable artifacts, that can't be exceptional) are now 100% exceptional.

As you can see, a +60 is completely unnecessary for crafting. It should be reserved for where its use actually gives an appreciable bonus - enhancing.

This is because there is a +1% bonus to enhance for every 10 points of Smith skill.

* (fairly common - it only takes a few dozen quests to get one in the 20s - I got mine the first week of ML, from the Dreadhorn quest, but they also come from the crafting quests amd ML monster loot)

R

redsnow

Thank you so much for the information.

My plan is to make a 100lrc dragon armor suit with good resists. My tali is a 15%exceptional and 20% bonus. From what your telling me i could use a +30 hammer and my tali to make it all exceptional. (120 smith)

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
pretty much - with 120 skill, +30 hammer and +15 ex talisman, the only things you aren't 100% exceptional on is the Platemail Do and the 3 Kabuto styles.

I

imported_Kallie Pigeon

Basara, that would be useful information in the FAQ somewhere although I don't have even +30 ash so far if I ever get there I would want to know

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Actually, as a newly-minted Mod, I was planning on adding such information in a Smith FAQ revision, after I was done redoing the Miner FAQ.