• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Skree

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I noticed the update on the sa site and saw that the scree will have a fetching ability?

Any speculation on what the bonded pet would be fetching?

Or is this old news I just missed?

It also States that the fairy dragon is tamable?

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
At the risk of being perceived as attacking someone, ending up on their ignore list .... or worse ....

No clue on either. I spent a lot of time training the a Skree I had and it never seemed to want to fetch anything that was laying around. And a number of folks suggested it was not worth 4 slots. Perhaps they listened.

I remember someone saying the Fairy Dragons were not tamable when Open Beta began and how unfortunate that was. Perhaps they listened.

There has been no intentional attack performed in this reply. If anything has offended anyone one, then it certainly was not my intent.

Kri

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I seem to remember there used to be a fetch command that was removed because it was being exploited...

Found an old article that mentions the old command "get" and how it worked. It also suggests a usage that is probably what got it removed in the first place. :p

Taken from http://uo.stratics.com/content/guides/posess.shtml:
Mining With A Horse
Often I go mining with a horse. What I do is mine for ore, putting only large ore into a back pack. I keep mining until I have 15 large ore in a back pack. I then tell the horse to "get". The cross hair hand then comes up and allows me to click on the object I want the horse to get. Once you get the horse to grab the backpack, RUN AWAY FROM THE HORSE! Yes, run away. Well, in the direction you want to head towards, probably towards town. The problem is, if the horse catches you she'll return the item you asked her to fetch into your main backpack. You'll then be overweight, and stop dead in your tracks. If successful in this tactic the horse will eventually give up on trying to give your pack back and will stop. You can then ride the horse back to town to smelt your ore. The best part is you don't notice the weight!

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think it wasn't the ore fetch trick. The fetch command was exploited by people who used their flying pets to fly inside other players' houses and steal things. Note that this was before you can lock stuff down.

The ore fetch trick was a great help for my miner. They would fetch containers too. I would put all the ore that I have mined in a large crate, then told my horse to fetch. When I mined more, I'd tell him to drop, put more ore into the crate and tell it to fetch again.

This was before packhorses and before there was a weight limit in containers. I had once used a summoned alligator to fetch 999 hides I bought from the tanner as well.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
At the risk of being perceived as attacking someone, ending up on their ignore list .... or worse ....

I do not think he was specificaly referencing the literal use of the quote.

When UO was new, one could get ones pets to "Fetch" anything and drop it.

The memory is a tad bit vague on this but I am 70% certain that the pet held the object not in its hands per se but in its treasure container. There was an objection to this as how could a Rat, Chicken, Rabbit etc. carry thousands of times their own weight. *Sigh* One just needs to love the good old tried and true "Reality" argument in a fantasy game.

I am kind of surprised they have re-implemented this feature. Even though it is likely that it is for NON flying characters, it seems to me that the amount of time taken to think through and implement the code to prevent the old exploits may not have been worth the effort. BUT I also assume they know what they are doing and I am missing one or more .... things. Let alone waiting to see what is actually implemented in Production :)

There has been no intentional attack performed in this reply. If anything has offended anyone one, then it certainly was not my intent.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, that's it! You are going on my ignore list!

LOL J/K!

Just wanted to clarify it wasn't simply the fetching of ore that got it canned :D

If it's the stealing part, with locked down items nowadays, that exploit won't work anymore. And I doubt they would overlook the weight issue this time round :p So no worries.