• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Skill Training In UO. (NoT RoT)

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
It has been over a dozen years since I have trained any skill not using the RoT System. I kinda remember "power hour" where no one could play, only train. Yes, it has been that long since I played on Cats.

What would it cost me in time and gold to train Magery, Eval and Med to 120?
A top end Tailor, Smith, Fletcher with Imbueing?
A PvP Tamer? *spits*

I keep seeing these templates can be built in days if not hours. How do you do it?

I will leave it at those questions for now.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
25 mil for 120 Magery
8 mil for 120 eval
12-15 for resist
1m for 120 med.

UOguide has a pretty good spell sequence for training I've used and takes me a day or two to finish depending how much time I want to put in.

AtlanticRealtor

ICQ 647752375
Stratics Veteran
25 mil for 120 Magery
8 mil for 120 eval
12-15 for resist
1m for 120 med.

UOguide has a pretty good spell sequence for training I've used and takes me a day or two to finish depending how much time I want to put in.
All about the time you can train...or you can go the easy way....
Mythic token will give you 5x90 skills
Add 120 Ps and eat Sots to reach 120 and you all done :)

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
With the right setup and tactic, you can train 120 magery, eval and med in about 8-10 hours.
Set-up:
LRC suit with max LMC/MR and as much +mana/intel as you can get.
1 -29 mage wand
Several alacrity scrolls

Tactic... hold the mage wand and get a level 15 critter in the new despise to discord you... then start casting.

Casting like this you can get to 120 without going over a level 6 spell. This will train all 3 skills.

For training just magery, you can go faster with very high dex, a fast 100% poison -29 mage weapon and a wolf spider.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
drink ready.... pack of smokes and a ashtray ready to go..... ok when i log in i need to immediately start training and NO NO NO dont bother me, its my bloody power hour people!

ah yes, i fondly remember it.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Training a mage is a breeze .... tailoring etc will actually take you MUCH longer on a Prodo shard since you can't gain every few min just by working the skill.... it's constant working to gain... grinding, grinding etc... but taming is slow but rewarding IMO... though even the tamer is nothing to a sampire...

so... as for imbuing just hang out at events and such and grab all the loot left and unravel it... get you up high in no time...

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Training a mage is a breeze .... tailoring etc will actually take you MUCH longer on a Prodo shard since you can't gain every few min just by working the skill.... it's constant working to gain... grinding, grinding etc... but taming is slow but rewarding IMO... though even the tamer is nothing to a sampire...

so... as for imbuing just hang out at events and such and grab all the loot left and unravel it... get you up high in no time...

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
There are guides for training Tailor and Blacksmith on the Craftsman forum's Data Chest sub-forum.

combine those guides with alacrity scrolls and you can get from 100-120 in about an hour (provided you're scrolled up to 120 and have 100 mining).

One thing to consider for smith training is the cost/benefit. One of the things you can craft are Royal circlets. Buy a salvage bag, put 600-700 ingots into the bag, use Make max on your tool, and recycle when you hit 125 items in your pack. Reload salvage bag, and repeat. While there are things that use slightly less ingots, they weigh more (meaning you have to stop to recycle 5x as often) and don't give back as many ingots with maxed mining plus gloves. The ability to crank out 100+ items between recycling and reloading ingots is much quicker in the long run.

Tailoring is a matter of making oil cloths to about 109 (stop getting gains about half-way between 109 & 110), then switching over to something cheap to make for the next few steps (studded armor pieces, cloth & leather ninja hood that can be donated to the Britain library, etc.). Not had a chance to go through the Gargoyle cloth items to see if anything is difficult enough to replace the studded leather.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There are guides for training Tailor and Blacksmith on the Craftsman forum's Data Chest sub-forum.

combine those guides with alacrity scrolls and you can get from 100-120 in about an hour (provided you're scrolled up to 120 and have 100 mining).

One thing to consider for smith training is the cost/benefit. One of the things you can craft are Royal circlets. Buy a salvage bag, put 600-700 ingots into the bag, use Make max on your tool, and recycle when you hit 125 items in your pack. Reload salvage bag, and repeat. While there are things that use slightly less ingots, they weigh more (meaning you have to stop to recycle 5x as often) and don't give back as many ingots with maxed mining plus gloves. The ability to crank out 100+ items between recycling and reloading ingots is much quicker in the long run.

Tailoring is a matter of making oil cloths to about 109 (stop getting gains about half-way between 109 & 110), then switching over to something cheap to make for the next few steps (studded armor pieces, cloth & leather ninja hood that can be donated to the Britain library, etc.). Not had a chance to go through the Gargoyle cloth items to see if anything is difficult enough to replace the studded leather.
UO Stratics - Tailoring Garg cloth pieces all the way to 120 after oil cloth.
Here are a few more links for you
UO Stratics - Blacksmithy
UO Stratics - Carpentry
UO Stratics - Tinkering
Skill Guides - Old Stratics

Bombastic Fail

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I personally Satyr trick every skill possible. That even goes for Tailoring and such too. Have a buddy/2nd account and things train even more easily also. Only skills (as I mentioned in other threads) that take a longer amount or time are skills that require wait timers, or waiting for mana to come back. (Poisoning, Spellweaving, Ninjitsu, Bushido).

All skills above 90 that have masteries are faster or can be done 2x as fast if you incorporate the mastery into normal training. Poisoning, Taming, Provo, Peacing.... To name a few.

Other things, you don't even need specific items. Like Magery, you can do it with a basic mage weapon, doesn't need to be 100% poison. Stam/SSI/HCI/Lower Def help obviously. What I do is buy the 40, use a mage wep. Usually a dagger. I have 3 bonded pets on my other tamer account.

First is a swampie, has close to max physical & hps (40 and 180) **bonus tip: you can even put on a dull copper barding deed to make physical higher**. This thing will take you to anywhere between 50/60 quickly with mage weapon. Next, I have a Gaman with close to cap hps and phys (150hp and 70 phys) this will take you to 80/90 depending. Then lastly a greater dragon with over 100 wrestle. Depending on mage wep, and you can do the Gaman to 120 if you have nothing with higher wrestle.

Now, while doing this, you can do eval over and over if you choose. You can be equipped with a cloak of corruption to gain med. You can have the taming spam weaken on you while healing the pet with vet for resist (while in protection, of course, to speed it up).

Using the crystal ball of knowledge, you will always know when you are "optimal" for best gains for magery too btw. My tamer is a discoer, so if the pet is a "bit too challenging" with the ball, disco and its fixed.

Following that method, you can be a 4x legend mage in... Meh? 4-6 hours? Give or take based on your commitment. Tons of tricks like that can be done. Want to speed that up? Do it with a Satyr.

Not sure if you were 'Trolling' a little @kelmo to see if people were "just saying" it is faster on normal shards than Siege, but it's clearly true.

I've trained hundreds of characters for myself and close friends/family. I have a fulltime job working 6 days a week. I prefer to maximize my time spent.

Last edited:

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Taming's doable in under a week, even without a mythic token. Start with 50 on a new char, jewel up to 80 (or 90 if you happen to have a Taming Mark of Trav lying around), Jhelom bull pit to 90 real. With a high int/mana/MR suit, masteries will take you the rest of the way. I needed two days for my Atl tamer to go from 91-ish to 115, then ate a 5.0 to finish it up. If I had let it go another day or two I probably wouldn't have needed to eat a pink, but I wanted to get it over with.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Taming's doable in under a week, even without a mythic token. Start with 50 on a new char, jewel up to 80 (or 90 if you happen to have a Taming Mark of Trav lying around), Jhelom bull pit to 90 real. With a high int/mana/MR suit, masteries will take you the rest of the way. I needed two days for my Atl tamer to go from 91-ish to 115, then ate a 5.0 to finish it up. If I had let it go another day or two I probably wouldn't have needed to eat a pink, but I wanted to get it over with.
I've never gotten a single .1 gain from using the masteries... maybe that's because I have only gotten 1 level 3 mastery and that is on a tamer who is locked at 115 all and has been for many, many years... worked by taming Kirins and giving them to the zoo over and over and over...

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've never gotten a single .1 gain from using the masteries... maybe that's because I have only gotten 1 level 3 mastery and that is on a tamer who is locked at 115 all and has been for many, many years... worked by taming Kirins and giving them to the zoo over and over and over...
Possibly. When I was doing it, I went all day *cough*, and that was with the CC. The taming forum has a step by step guide for the EC, but I never figured out how to make it work properly.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can train any template in less than 4 days. What game we talking about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dlo88

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
In the past month I have worked taming from 0-120 on two characters no problem using this method.

New char with 50 taming and 50 lore. Put the rest of the skill points into meditation and focus. Train at jhelom farms till you are at 90 real skill(this is the hard, boring part) Once you are at 90, get a max lmc suit with as much mana regen and mana increase as possible. Start casting the mastery spell (level doesnt matter) on your pet and you should get from 90-120 in about a day.

The key is to only have taming, lore, meditation and focus going up. The least amount of skill points on your character the better they will gain.

:)

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So you are saying you aren't getting gains from using a mastery on a character where the skill is locked... Go figure...

Incidentally, you don't need a level 3 to gain, a level 1 mastery will do the trick.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So you are saying you aren't getting gains from using a mastery on a character where the skill is locked... Go figure...

Incidentally, you don't need a level 3 to gain, a level 1 mastery will do the trick.
Is that why I'm stuck at 120 Magery! Jeeeebus!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

I've got level 2 masteries on ALL my other tamers.. but despite how many times I've used the skills none of my other tamers have ever gained any skill at all...

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I've got level 2 masteries on ALL my other tamers.. but despite how many times I've used the skills none of my other tamers have ever gained any skill at all...
Then you are:
Already at 120 skill
Already at 720 total skill with nothing set to drop
Have all your skills locked

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Ill stick to Siege and ROT. I remember on Cats with lockpicking. it was .1 a day forever.
Lock picking goes quick with paragon chests - Ettin until it opens, cyclops until it opens, miasma until it opens - and you're high enough to open any chest with a skeleton key (with maybe a few misses on L6, but you also miss at GM lock picking on those) - you just need a couple hundred picks to break

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Lock picking goes quick with paragon chests - Ettin until it opens, cyclops until it opens, miasma until it opens - and you're high enough to open any chest with a skeleton key (with maybe a few misses on L6, but you also miss at GM lock picking on those) - you just need a couple hundred picks to break
I used a few well crafted lock boxes... then went to Yew to the LvL 4 there and picked away to GM