• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Skill Gains

Lorax_Pacific

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm training tactics and swords right now on a new character. I'm "new" to training "new characters", because I haven't really trained any in years because I have most characters built.

Ok. So I bought tactics to like 25 or whatever and it never goes up. My crystal ball of knowledge says all the creatures I'm fighting are too difficult for tactics. So is it the case this skill will never raise unless I go fight like bears or something?

Next swords is over 50 now after fighting earth eles, trolls, and ettins. So I go to the cyclopean warrior and my crystal ball of knowledge says they are too difficult and my skill never increases. I mean these guys are falling left and right, but no skill gain? So I go to the ettins again and massive skill gain being "optimal" according to the crystal ball of knowledge.

I wish I could just ask this frikken ball if the devs have messed up skill gains to the point you won't gain unless you fight trash creatures. So crystal ball of knowledge...what's up?

-Lorax

p.s.

These "developers" are getting on my nerve!!!

p.p.s

I'm going to submit it as a bug. This is ridiculous.

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Go to Haven you can buy tactics up to 40. You may have to train the skills one at a time to get them caught up.

G

gjohnson5

I'm training tactics and swords right now on a new character. I'm "new" to training "new characters", because I haven't really trained any in years because I have most characters built.

Ok. So I bought tactics to like 25 or whatever and it never goes up. My crystal ball of knowledge says all the creatures I'm fighting are too difficult for tactics. So is it the case this skill will never raise unless I go fight like bears or something?

Next swords is over 50 now after fighting earth eles, trolls, and ettins. So I go to the cyclopean warrior and my crystal ball of knowledge says they are too difficult and my skill never increases. I mean these guys are falling left and right, but no skill gain? So I go to the ettins again and massive skill gain being "optimal" according to the crystal ball of knowledge.

I wish I could just ask this frikken ball if the devs have messed up skill gains to the point you won't gain unless you fight trash creatures. So crystal ball of knowledge...what's up?

-Lorax

p.s.

These "developers" are getting on my nerve!!!

p.p.s

I'm going to submit it as a bug. This is ridiculous.
Been in that boat a few times.
It's one reason I hate changing my templates.
The changes to the game have flipped melee skill gain around ALOT since when I fisr gained melee skills.

yes , you need to find something to fight something that will cause skill to increase. If that means bears , then yes. You can have all skills at 120 and switch out swords for fencing for instance and you'd have to go fight bears again to make the skills increase.

I don't agree with it either because it is a pain to old players

Lorax_Pacific

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Been in that boat a few times.
It's one reason I hate changing my templates.
The changes to the game have flipped melee skill gain around ALOT since when I fisr gained melee skills.

yes , you need to find something to fight something that will cause skill to increase. If that means bears , then yes. You can have all skills at 120 and switch out swords for fencing for instance and you'd have to go fight bears again to make the skills increase.

I don't agree with it either because it is a pain to old players
Alright, well I'm fighting great hart's now because they are "challenging". Can't fight harpies or grey wolve's because they are "too challenging" to raise my tactics. That would take for ever and so went to haven and bought to 40.

-Lorax

T

Thiefy/Glorfiedel

take the quests in haven too, then you gain faster till 50%.

gortman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
take the quests in haven too, then you gain faster till 50%.
I returned to the game this past December after nine years away and I did all the relevant New Haven quests to gain in melee skills. They are well worth doing after you've bought up your skills as high as possible. Just in case you didn't know, I'll tell you that you can't buy up the skills if you have an active skill gain quest. So it's best to do the skill buying first. The accelerated skill gains in Haven helped me get my new characters to a medium skill level very quickly and painlessly.