• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Imbuing] Skill gains from unraveling

Shelleybean

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So far I like the skill gains from unraveling. I've gone from 40 to 61.1 just from unraveling monster loot. At some point I expect the gains to taper off, but for right now it works pretty well. My goal is to get to 80 by tomorrow and I will post my updated results.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have gained pretty consistantly upto 75.2. Almost to the point of having to go hunt for more items to unravel.

B

Boogieman

I'm restricting my training to unravelling as well and gaining just fine. Skill at the moment 76-something. I seem to gain from every 30-50 items I unravel. Plus the GGS of course. I'm not planning to waste any resources on training until I need 70-80 items for each gain.

Shelleybean

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I didn't have a lot of time to play this weekend, but I was able to make it to 70.2. I kept track of how many pieces of loot I used. From 61.1 to 70.2 = 1126 items. I'm out of items to unravel at this point, so I need to do a little hunting again. :)

Val-Tur

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
After the patch, I started farming Swoop and Miasma. I looted everything using a beetle. Each haul I loot between 150-200 items. I have gone from 66ish to 79.2 imbuing over the past 3 days of doing this a couple hours at a time. Up until I reached mid 70's, I could gain 5-10 gains per haul. After 78ish, the gains have slowed down to a couple gains per haul.

Maybe I am having a bad streak at the moment. I will try again later tonight to see if the gains really have started to crawl.

B

Boogieman

Just to follow up with some info and for people to compare to their own gains:

76,6 to 77,4 on 156 items. One gain was probably GGS. Otherwise on average 20 items pr gain. I'm a happy camper.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Gains are also going to be based off the difficulty of the items you are unraveling. On 1 bag of 114 items I went from 77.8 to 78.8, but on the bag before that, I gained only .1.

The 1st bag was monster loot (weapons/armor), the 2nd bag was all rings/bracelets with 3-5 properties each.

Shelleybean

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Gains are also going to be based off the difficulty of the items you are unraveling. On 1 bag of 114 items I went from 77.8 to 78.8, but on the bag before that, I gained only .1.

The 1st bag was monster loot (weapons/armor), the 2nd bag was all rings/bracelets with 3-5 properties each.
I'm curious also if being a gargoyle and unraveling at the queen's forge increases or decreases skill gains. What do you all think?

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't think it would affect it, since being garg doesn't affect the success chance, just the results.

If anything, it might help, because more things unravel into higher materials.

Shelleybean

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I made it to 78 and my gains are pretty slow. I might switch to imbuing for gains once I've acquired 30k residue.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I made it to 78 and my gains are pretty slow. I might switch to imbuing for gains once I've acquired 30k residue.
Do you still need 30K residue to train from say 80 to 120 imbuing? Or has pub 63 reduced the quantity required.

-OBSIDIAN-

Shelleybean

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Do you still need 30K residue to train from say 80 to 120 imbuing? Or has pub 63 reduced the quantity required.

-OBSIDIAN-
No I don't think I'll need quite so much, but I'm not sure. I've reached legendary imbuing on another character and I really hated running out of residue during training. So this time I want to make sure I have enough.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

-OBSIDIAN-
I am up above 86.0 from just unraveling...once I move to imbueing for skill gain, I'll try and keep accurate logs of what I do.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Thanks, Shellybean & Nusair. I'm killing a lot of misamas and saving everything, to unravel but it will still take a little while to collect enough residue. I'm at 63 Imbuing now. I wish looting wasn't so cumbersome.

-OBSIDIAN-

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One mistake I feel I made was that I unraveled alot of runic armor and high end mob loot (like rings and bracelets with 5 mods) too early. If I could go back, I would have held off on that until I wasn't gaining on lesser items.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I am going to craft a lot of exceptional daggers using dull copper to build up my residue supply. It will be interesting to see if that allows me gain at all. If it does, it should boost me up just enough so I'm getting the most out of Miasma loot until it is time to actively start training.

-OBSIDIAN-

Shelleybean

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One mistake I feel I made was that I unraveled alot of runic armor and high end mob loot (like rings and bracelets with 5 mods) too early. If I could go back, I would have held off on that until I wasn't gaining on lesser items.
I wish I had done that too, but it's pretty encouraging that you've made it to 86 so far. My results are on par with yours. Loot from dark guardians= zero gains, loot from fan dancer=low gains, loot from Thrasher=decent gains.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wish I had done that too, but it's pretty encouraging that you've made it to 86 so far. My results are on par with yours. Loot from dark guardians= zero gains, loot from fan dancer=low gains, loot from Thrasher=decent gains.
I am going to be working on this again today (hopefully).

J

[JD]

Hey all, I've unraveled several bags of lowbie-mid (ettins, cyclops, titan, paragon, slayer, succubus, etc) monster loot and I'm up to 54.x this morning...

I'm going through my stock pretty darn quickly though. This is actually kinda cool cause it lets me clean my house and get something useful for it.

I'm wondering where you think the best place to hunt is. I can take my GD and just wipe out the titans area and get tons of loot. Or I know a lot of you are using swoop/miasma, but those are much longer "kills". Wouldn't it be better to churn through a lot of smaller stuff first?

Lastly does anyone know where in the enhanced client I can find my loyalty rating to the queen gargoyle? I've been killing toxic sliths but want to check my status. I googled that it's supposed to be on the "Player Context Menu", but I can find no such menu, and have been through all available menus multiple times (Character sheet, abilities, guild, journal, options, user settings, etc)... thanks if you know where this is.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I prefer swoop-level creatures because the items tend to have more effects, which in turn I believe, becomes more skill gains.

At your level, I would keep doing what you are doing as long as you are getting good gains. And by that, I mean at least .5 off a bag of loot (~100 items).

Shelleybean

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey all, I've unraveled several bags of lowbie-mid (ettins, cyclops, titan, paragon, slayer, succubus, etc) monster loot and I'm up to 54.x this morning...

I'm going through my stock pretty darn quickly though. This is actually kinda cool cause it lets me clean my house and get something useful for it.

I'm wondering where you think the best place to hunt is. I can take my GD and just wipe out the titans area and get tons of loot. Or I know a lot of you are using swoop/miasma, but those are much longer "kills". Wouldn't it be better to churn through a lot of smaller stuff first?

Lastly does anyone know where in the enhanced client I can find my loyalty rating to the queen gargoyle? I've been killing toxic sliths but want to check my status. I googled that it's supposed to be on the "Player Context Menu", but I can find no such menu, and have been through all available menus multiple times (Character sheet, abilities, guild, journal, options, user settings, etc)... thanks if you know where this is.
FYI I'm up to 92.1 just from unraveling.

For things to kill, Swoop is fast for me with a disco/tamer but is camped. I kill Thrasher really fast but looting can be tricky. I command my pet to kill Thrasher and then have it follow me to a distant area so I can try to loot before the next one spawns. Another option is the named mini bosses in Bedlam. At least it's near a healer if you get in trouble. :) It's also easy to get out and drop off your loot.

I don't know what you call it, but if you look on the little portrait of your character and right click, the loyalty rating comes up. This is not the big avatar but it looks kind of like a health bar but with your character's face on it.

J

[JD]

Hey Shelly, I know the menu you are talking about... I don't know it's name but I'll try it when I get home lol!

How does GD fare in Bedlam against all that undead crap? Red Death, etc...

Seems bags might fill up frequently and need to be emptied every couple min?

Shelleybean

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey Shelly, I know the menu you are talking about... I don't know it's name but I'll try it when I get home lol!

How does GD fare in Bedlam against all that undead crap? Red Death, etc...

Seems bags might fill up frequently and need to be emptied every couple min?
I've seen many tamers in Bedlam with greater dragons or cu sidhes and they seem to do ok. I take my samurai to fight though. Loot bags fill up rather quickly, though I try not to take heavy items unless they might yield a relic. If you fight near the exit though, you can recall in and out of the healer's easily so you can get back to hunting.

J

[JD]

How do you know it's gonna give a relic, what are the best indications?

I think one person mentioned 5 item mods.

This would be done on an elf tamer so I wouldn't have the ability to use Item ID skill or JOAT Item ID. If I could look at it and make a guess based on property intensities, material etc that would be radtastic.

thanks

Shelleybean

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How do you know it's gonna give a relic, what are the best indications?

I think one person mentioned 5 item mods.

This would be done on an elf tamer so I wouldn't have the ability to use Item ID skill or JOAT Item ID. If I could look at it and make a guess based on property intensities, material etc that would be radtastic.

thanks
If you use the enhanced client, there is a MOD you can download here http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=167716 that will tell you the intensity value of an item. I've used that and compared it to the information found here: http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=173345

Example, if I find a plate gorget that has 335 intensity and then enhance it with valorite, it will yield a relic. If you find something that already has 401 intensity and you're a gargoyle using the queen's forge, then it yields a relic.

I don't normally play in the enhanced client. I only log in with it to separate out the loot that could be enhanced for relics.

I've only recently downloaded the MOD and have not used it very long. I've found I've been able to produce relics in every case except if a weapon shows 335-400 intensity and it has elemental damage. Enhancing with valorite does not yield a relic.

I can't eyeball something and know right away that it will give a relic so maybe others can help you in that area.

J

[JD]

If you use the enhanced client, there is a MOD you can download here http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=167716 that will tell you the intensity value of an item. I've used that and compared it to the information found here: http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=173345

Example, if I find a plate gorget that has 335 intensity and then enhance it with valorite, it will yield a relic. If you find something that already has 401 intensity and you're a gargoyle using the queen's forge, then it yields a relic.

I don't normally play in the enhanced client. I only log in with it to separate out the loot that could be enhanced for relics.

I've only recently downloaded the MOD and have not used it very long. I've found I've been able to produce relics in every case except if a weapon shows 335-400 intensity and it has elemental damage. Enhancing with valorite does not yield a relic.

I can't eyeball something and know right away that it will give a relic so maybe others can help you in that area.

Thanks and last question, how do you enhance something with valorite? Like what skills do I need? thanks

A

Az of DSR

If you find something that already has 401 intensity and you're a gargoyle using the queen's forge, then it yields a relic.
Does loyalty have any factor in this, just curious how it might affect imbuing at the royal soulforge.

Shelleybean

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks and last question, how do you enhance something with valorite? Like what skills do I need? thanks
You need blacksmithy to enhance most metal armor and weapons. Some weapons, I think cleavers and maybe skinning knives require tinkering. Equipping an ancient blacksmith hammer will help your chances of enhancing. :)

Shelleybean

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Does loyalty have any factor in this, just curious how it might affect imbuing at the royal soulforge.
You need to have 10,000 loyalty points to imbue at the queen's forge, but no such requirement to unravel there. Is that what you meant?

J

[JD]

Shanks Shelley, how much blacksmithy is required to enhance?

I'm up to 65.x imbuing but it's slowing down, not getting gains from the stuff I used to! Even killing the Bedlam key bosses (Red Death, Sir jonathan, etc) their loot isn't high enough. Maybe I need to try putting together a luck suit to farm with. I dunno what to do, my last several bags have netted me nil. I'm a gargoyle using home forge for gains. I could stone it off to a human but that would only be temporary gains. I would like to gain to 90 like some other folks. Of the folks who are gaining to 90 off of unraveling, what is your luck, what items are you farming, and what is your race and where do you unravel at (home forge?)

thanks

Shelleybean

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Shanks Shelley, how much blacksmithy is required to enhance?

I'm up to 65.x imbuing but it's slowing down, not getting gains from the stuff I used to! Even killing the Bedlam key bosses (Red Death, Sir jonathan, etc) their loot isn't high enough. Maybe I need to try putting together a luck suit to farm with. I dunno what to do, my last several bags have netted me nil. I'm a gargoyle using home forge for gains. I could stone it off to a human but that would only be temporary gains. I would like to gain to 90 like some other folks. Of the folks who are gaining to 90 off of unraveling, what is your luck, what items are you farming, and what is your race and where do you unravel at (home forge?)

thanks
I don't know what the skill requirement is to enhance something. I know that you will want to be legendary and use the highest ancient blacksmith hammer you have so that you can maximize your chances for success. Note that you can destroy an item that you are attempting to enhance. Here's the faq for more info: http://vboards.stratics.com/showpost.php?p=488059&postcount=8

I'm not sure why are you are not gaining much. Have you used a 120 imbuing powerscroll yet? A higher skill cap maximizes your gains. I don't know how race and forge factors into gains. My character is a gargoyle using the queen's forge. I probably shot myself in the foot on that but I'm at the point where I will start imbuing items for gains. As far as loot goes, I used a luck suit farming Thrasher and sometimes Swoop. A non luck suit fighting Bedlam monsters.

J

[JD]

I haven't done the quests yet for imbuing to get the 120 Powerscroll. I was planning on doing it later but that's a good point about it'll allow gains on lower stuff for longer. How hard is it and around how much time would it take?

Thanks

G

Gowron

I haven't done the quests yet for imbuing to get the 120 Powerscroll. I was planning on doing it later but that's a good point about it'll allow gains on lower stuff for longer. How hard is it and around how much time would it take?

Thanks
If memory serves me correct, getting 10x 115 power scrolls through the quest takes 500 essence and a binding scroll and combined will yield you a 120 scroll.

J

[JD]

Cool I think I already have the essence, I'll have to look that quest up. Thanks