• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Parry] Skill gain log, 95-100

D

Dragonchilde

I just thought I'd post this. I went to Covetous, picked up four regular harpies and a stone harpy, equipped a full virtue armor set (all 70s, self repair 5), a shield with self repair 4 and a DCI 8 (it's a junk shield I picked up for 1k on a luna vendor just for the self repair) and a crapload of bandaids. Even gained a few points in healing, too.

two hours from 87 - 95 the previous night, with just 3 regulars and 1 stone.

Took me 45 minutes to go from 95-99

4:15 - 99
4:16 - 99.1, 99.2
4:17 - 99.3
4:18 - 99.4
4:19 - 99.5
4:20 - 99.6
4:22 - 99.7
4:27 - 99.8
4:28 - 99.9 I added one more harpy, because I was getting impatient.
4:35 - 100, 100.1

Now, let's hope it goes this fast to 120!

P

Playhardgopro

Did you already post that you'd tried this with sheep etc and it had not worked?

If so, that method is quicker and easier.

If I remember correctly you equip a shield (or if you are human, a weapon you cannot use - and you will raise due to Bushido/Parry) and then just get a load of creatures to attack you. The strength of the creature that attacks is not relevant, so look for creatures that do 1 damage to you, such as small birds and woodland animals. Then just attack a load (I found them wondering around the country) and tab out so you don't kill them. I think you can have 9 animals hitting you (stand one one and have another 8 on the 8 points of the compass around you). If you have all 1hp animals you can either heal or, if you are really cheeky, find a cheap HP regen, self-repair suit and wear it and then just watch yourself gain while you read a book (and stay at the keyboard)

D

Dragonchilde

No, I tried sheep. Not one gain after a solid hour of standing there. As soon as I got three harpies... gain. You see the rest. :)

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just used sheep about a week ago and went from 40 bought in new haven to 115 in what seemed like less than 3 hours total.

D

Dragonchilde

I think the RNG just really, really hates me. I tried Old Man of UO's herding in 75 minutes guide, and it took me 8 hours.

Maybe I pissed off a GM and he stuck a "can't gain skill as fast as everyone else" flag on my characters... ;)

R

RichDC

Same experience as lynk, 120'd in matter of hours.

I have a feeling you are probably doing it wrong.

If you have parry and 0 bushido and a swords for example, you use a 2handed mace weap(staffs bought from smiths).

If you have Bush you use a shield and a club(for example can be any single handed weapon not your skill)

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm going to be experimenting with another new template and it has parry (every damned template l build nowadays has to have parry from all the speedhacking archers out there). I plan on working it up from 0 tonight, so I'll test my usual method and confirm it still works.

S

Stupid Miner

If you have parry and 0 bushido and a swords for example, you use a 2handed mace weap(staffs bought from smiths).

If you have Bush you use a shield and a club(for example can be any single handed weapon not your skill)
You have that switched, with bushido use a weapon, without bushido use a shield.

The Real John

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lol um it takes 45 mins to go from 0 parry to 120 parry. What you want to do is make sure you dont have bushido if you have it stone it. Then next step is get a weapon you dont have a skill in so if your a macer use a sword or fenceing weapon I think you get the point. Then heres the part that if you have a friend can speed it up even more.

Go get some gold then head off to buy some rabbits. You want to make sure your in a guild when you do this. Once you buy a rabbit release it and stand back far enough to were you wont hit it then go war mode click it and then tab out so you wont hit it. Now because your in a guild the rabbit will stay green or what ever your guild color is set to. Then buy another rabbit and do the same thing and because its tram and there still flaged as being in guild they will stand on each other. You can get as many rabbits as you want. Thats were if you have a friend to help makes it go faster to heal you. With 32 rabbits and a blue scroll took about 25ish mins to go from 0 - 120.

Also forgot to say you want bushido locked at 0.

C

Connor_Graham

Setnaffa would have to explain it. I just know that you have to use a shield with Bushido.

S

Stupid Miner

hm ok... either way, it's still fast using the proper parry item. went from ~105-115 in... 30 mins max

Edit: im intrigued, im gonna test this out on test center

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well I worked parry last night and it's as fast as ever. The character I worked parry on was red so I had to get a little creative.

On my tamer I made multiple trips to the Yew trammel sheeps pen. In all I probably tamed about 50 sheep after all said and done. I'd tame 5, release them in my house, get more, etc. Once I had all the sheep I wanted I logged on the character I needed to work and had a friend come help me.

I cross efielded myself directly under my house sign, once that was done I had my friend come to my house and eject the sheep from my house. Once they were all out I casted mass curse to get them flagged.

On my laptop I was on my 2nd account healing myself. This character has 0 resist spells so the sheep were hitting for 2 dmg a piece, and they all were synched up with each other. My health bar would just jump from 120 hp to like 60 every 2 seconds.

I had a backpack full of bloodwood quarter staffs I made.

Started at 0 parry at 8:24 p.m. I did not buy skill in haven or from any other vendor. I was 120 parry by 10:36 p.m.

Since the sheep were all hitting at the same time, there were times when I would get 3 gains at exactly the same time (even at higher levels of parry).

Draxous

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I went from 0 to 120 parry in under 2 hours at Jhelom... female fighters (disarm ones with weapons)

Had 20+ punching me... equipped a dagger when I was ready to start gaining (char had swords) and made sure I had 0%DCI on... (DCI makes them miss hitting me.)

The skill points FLEW up.

T

Tinsil

I know this is a semi-old topic now, but using Lynk's method with about 40 sheep I went from 0-120 Parry within 45 minutes without any alacrity scrolls.

I'd be interested to see how fast you could do this with even more sheep and an alacrity scroll. Would be cool to go from 0-120 in about 10-15 mins.

P

Playhardgopro

Unless they changed it, you can only use a mximum of 9 animals.

Stand on one and have 8 next to you on the points of the compass.

Anything extra is superfluous.

T

Tinsil

Throw them all under a house sign and mass curse. They'll all hit you.

S

Storx

so, do you use a shield when you have bushido?? or do you use a weapon im not sure if anyone cleared this but i know there was some debate over it.. i went and gathered 10 of them and went to the house and i gained from 0 to 85.6 and once i was at 85.6 it stopped there for over an hour.. so i stoppped.. plus even though the gear i had was self repair some of it was almost broken...

Z

Zandros

I had Bushido at 119.2, Tactics 120.0, Fencing at 109.x, Parry at 115.0

I decided to wear a shadow iron chaos shield and a katana(swords). Bracelet of health and some other hp regen stuff.

Went to Yew sheep pen and started to aggro those little woolies on me. After 5 mins nothing happend.

I went back home and stoned bushido. Again nothing happened. So i checked my gear. After i took off my ancient samurai helmet with 15% dci i gained 0.1 right away.

But still slow. So i went back home and stoned tactics too.

Changed my gear only for phys. resist and hp regen. ( Think thats an important part).

After i started again the skill went up like crazy.

I noticed that those sheeps need a bit training until they start to hit you more often (maybe because i stoned tactics too?) .

But one thing i know for sure now: WHEN YOU DONT HAVE BUSHIDO - USE A SHIELD!!!

Most likely that means if you have bushido use a 2 handed weapon. But didnt verifiy that.

Hope that helps ... a bit .. :dunce:

--> Just hit 120.00 while i was writing this <--- :danceb:

G

Gellor

So far, the biggest "flaw" I've seen by the people having problems with parry is sporting DCI gear and/or sporting a weapon skill. The goal with parry is you WANT to get hit.

As mentioned by a few people, you want to hold a weapon you have no skill in. It is a MUST if you have any eval or anat on the char. Passive defense is based upon eval AND anat. You want NO DCI gear. NONE.

Also note that your gear WILL take a beating. Either no armor, sacrificial armor, or high self repair.

I just did 120 parry on yet another mage about a week ago. I put on a bracelet of health, talisman with 2hpr, bought 4-5 daggers(no skill in it), and about 80 shields. That is all.

From there, I went into dog form(ninja) attacked 8 sheep and watched the gains fly. Between dog form, the bracelet of health, and the 2hpr talisman, I had no problems with health.

S

Storx

well i did some searching around the web and found a post on a sheep method.. basicly you need a house that has a 2nd floor you can see from the steps near the sign.. what you do is go to yew pen with an animal tamer and tame sheep and gate them to the house and release them inside the house and make sure the transporters are set to friend only so the sheep cant use them. Then you gather enough that you think you can handle without instantly dieing. I gathered 33 sheep just because it was getting to crowded to find the tamed one to release anymore on the roof of my house. Then i walked to the steps of the house near the signed along with a friend or two that can heal you and i would ban one sheep at a time from the house after pulling up there health bar. I would attack them as soon as they hit the floor (so they stay stacked under the sign) with just a shield on since i had bushido. I used this method last night and went from 50 parry to 120 in about 42 mins.. then i switched with my buddy that was healing before and we worked his parry but it was much harder to keep him alive because the sheep were trained in there wrestling, anatomy, and tactics to there caps... so it took 2 of us to keep him alive...he went from 0-100 in about 45 mins... this way...
What we wore as gear was nothing but jewelry with physical resist and a shield with self repair of 5.
not wearing gear but the shield seemed to allow the parry skill jump faster.. plus with 33 sheep and gear having self repair on it even i watched a pair of leggs of stability go from 255 to 30ish in a matter of a few minutes.. we had to swap shields every few seconds and repair the old damaged ones with our blacksmith...

S

Storx

it was kinda funny after we finished training and was just chit chatting we had a orc camp spawn next to the house and all the 33 sheep attacked the 5 orcs and totally destroyed the orcs.. not one sheep died.. it was about the funniest thing i have seen in the game in a long time.. really wish i could of caught it on video to post on the forums.. i thought about doing it again and try to lure a few mobs like a troll or something from the forest to the house to get a kick out of that to see if sheep could kill trolls...