• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Simple Craftin Poll

Do you have a crafter character?

• No. I rely on other crafters for my goods.

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Yes. I have one(or more) crafters and craft all my own goods.

Votes: 95 80.5%
  • Crafting is my business. Most of time is spent making goods for others.

Votes: 19 16.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Inspired by the thread about imbuing and loss of items. I have long felt that everyone(practically) has a crafter and this absurd notion that crafting will ever be like it once was is fruitless. So the question is;

Got crafter?

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
With all the comments about decays and crafting and community and interaction that abound within these forum halls I expected some comments about the results of this poll.

Can we assume that perhaps...just perhaps that no matter what EA Mythic does for crafting the crafting community will never be healed to the status that people remember?

So far if they institue decay this poll plainly shows that most players will be using their own crafter to replace their goods. Now I ask, what good is decay? What has the economy to gain from it? Now that runics have been duped to death and BOD's can be ran with or without scripting to incredible numbers where does that leave crafting?

X

xStrikerx

No. I rely on other crafters for my goods.
Yes. I have one(or more) crafters and craft all my own goods.

Where is the option for "Yes but I dont craft all my own goods"?

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I'm going with the assumption that if you have your own crafter then you will craft your own goods if you have the option rather than rely on other crafters.

Further, I'm banking the concept that imbuing will allow more control with your own crafter will(in theory) lessen the need to buy from other crafters if you have your own.

Bomb Bloke

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have a couple of crafters. Pretty much maxed in terms of skill points, too. If I want clothing or furniture I can churn it out at will. I can even create some of the craftable artifacts, but I don't have the full set of recipes and I doubt many people do.

But as for weapons and armor? I spent ages and ages working on BODs, and I never got a single barbed runic kit. Heck, the best I ever got was an ash fletching kit while trying to get recipes. And I don't even want to consider how long it'd take to get a valorite hammer. If I want combat gear, it's far, far less time consuming to save up the gold and go buy it.

There's a big difference between having a crafter, and having a crafter as well as the patience to get runic tools.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
On the shards where I play the most, I aim to have a blacksmith/tailor, a carpenter/tinker/fletcher, and an alchemist/cook/scribe. Lumberjacking/mining go on another character that is also a bard/mage. Fishing goes on a mage character that is also a beggar.

So far I've only got two complete sets of crafters done (GL and Baja). They're in various stages of completion on Sonoma, Origin, Legends, Atlantic, Pacific, Oceania, and Europa.

So to more fully answer your question, on the two shards where my crafters are all done, I generally try to do all my own crafting, repairs, and enhancing. On the other shards, I'm still dependent on others for a lot of my crafting and repair needs. Stuff to enhance just piles up until my crafter hits a decent skill level to start trying it or I can twist a guildmate's arm to plow through some of it for me or I just get sick of looking at it and pitch it or it all gets used unenhanced as we cobble together basic suits on a new shard.

I haven't played UO long enough to remember the days so many of you recall with such fondness, when most didn't have their own crafters to make or repair things. So I guess having my own crafter is the norm for me and I seriously doubt I would ever have the trust level it would take to routinely hand over valued items to another player to repair them. I also don't think UO has the subscriber level, at this time, to abruptly return to the kind of an environment where crafting is a specialty that few bother to follow. I imagine most people are like me and don't really relish the idea of cooling their heels waiting around on someone else who might or might not show up with any kind of regularity to offer their services.

I understand UO is an MMO, but to someone like me who has not played all that many years, the "multi-player" aspect of UO is found in more ways than just hanging around town to meet other players. That is something to keep in mind if and when more people who've never played UO decide to give it a try....we don't remember UO's "glory days" and, I respectfully submit, our good memories of the game are entirely different than those of someone who has played for many years.

C

Coppelia

I have a crafter, I craft my own goods and don't have the time to share its skills to others (I know most of people already have theirs), but for some things I rely on others crafters.
I voted 2, but it's also a bit of 1 :x
For example I don't have a high carpentry, so for house deco I buy stuff to people I know.

C

Connor_Graham

I have 2 crafters, and between the 2 have every crafting skill except Cooking, Fishing, and Alchemy (although this will be taken to GM eventually, but not Cooking or Fishing). I don't buy any crafted goods from anyone else, preferring to gether the resources and craft what I need for myself. I've only bought a grand total of 6 armor pieces from other players. Everything else I have was either looted and enhanced by me, or crafted by me.

deadite

Sage
It's My Birthday
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Too bad they didn't listen to the few folks who pleaded for only 1-2 characters per shard in the beginning.

I know some folks have multiple accounts, but I surely there would be more dependence on others if there was a strict limitation.

This was an excellent poll question, and very telling to see the answers.

Ask this same question to the Siege community... Wonder how different the results would be.

L

Lord Drakelord

Inspired by the thread about imbuing and loss of items. I have long felt that everyone(practically) has a crafter and this absurd notion that crafting will ever be like it once was is fruitless. So the question is;

Got crafter?

we have a few

Bowcraft/Fletching 100.0 100.0
Lumberjacking 100.0 100.0
Meditation 100.0 100.0
Mining 100.0 100.0
Magery 91.4 71.4
Inscription 79.3 79.3
Evaluating Intelligence 66.2 66.2
Hiding 52.7 52.7

Str 115 115
Dex 30 30
Int 110 100 (+10)
Blacksmithing 105.4 105.4
Mining 100.0 100.0
Tinkering 100.0 100.0
Magery 97.7 87.7
Meditation 92.0 92.0
Carpentry 88.2 88.2
Armslore 87.2 87.2
Tailoring 30.9 30.9

Str 125 125
Dex 10 10
Int 104 104
Alchemy 100.0 100.0
Cooking 100.0 100.0
Begging 98.1 98.1
Poisoning 84.8 84.8
Magery 84.1 74.1
Herding 68.7 68.7
Meditation 52.0 52.0
Wrestling 51.8 51.8
Carpentry 33.0 33.0
Tinkering 32.1 32.1

Str 84 84
Dex 11 11
Int 83 73 (+10)
Magery 103.5 75.5
Carpentry 100.0 100.0
Inscription 100.0 100.0
Meditation 100.0 100.0
Tinkering 100.0 100.0
Blacksmithing 80.5 80.5
Tailoring 75.0 75.0
Musicianship 45.0 45.0

Str 104 104
Dex 25 25
Int 119 101 (+18)
Tailoring 115.1 115.1
Lumberjacking 100.0 100.0
Magery 100.0 77.2
Mining 100.0 100.0
Blacksmithing 90.5 90.5
Hiding 84.4 84.4
Meditation 79.0 79.0
Tinkering 60.0 60.0

Str 100 100
Dex 30 25 (+5)
Int 115 105 (+10)

Masuri

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I voted, but I wanted to respond too, because the way I play UO is NOT how I play other games with crafting.

In SWG, I spend 90% of my time on my crafters (domestics and munitions, chef and armorsmith specifically), getting supplies for my crafters, hunting creature resources for my crafters, scouting resource spots for my crafters, stocking my vendors, emailing customers, working on custom orders, kicking my factories, reading crafting boards. Crafting in SWG is essential to gameplay, and there's no way for every player to have every craft without several costly accounts and literally more time than there is in a week to actually run all of those traders, since they simply take so much time. A single high-end crafter is at least a part-time job, I am not kidding. They're compensated very well for that time; being a high-end crafter takes several months of preparation but can bring you into the upper-class very quickly.

In UO, I have a main crafter with the usual set-up, and things like alchemy, inscription, and lumberjacking spread around to other characters. I use these characters very very rarely, to repair my gear, combine some arrows, etc. I would like to craft more, as it's in my nature, but the population is so weak and the demand so low due to everyone already having crafters of his own, that there's no point - there is very little market for most goods. I am not stating anything new to anyone here. But this is a fundamental flaw of UO post-insurance/post-runics, one that will need serious effort on the part of the devs to fix. Imbuing (and/or raising more craft skills to a 120 cap, sigh) will very likely make it worse, but it's hard to see how it could get significantly worse than it already is.

Personally, I find it very sad that UO, the original persistent world with a wonderful crafting system and brilliant player economy, is now lagging so far behind games like SWG, which several years ago effectively destroyed crafting in a similar manner to UO, realized the mistake, and began reimplementing it to the point that it's actually better now than when the game first launched. Worse, UO's lagging behind MMORPGs like EQ2 and even LOTRO, games which don't even consider crafting a critical part of their game and yet which still manage to create a more entertaining crafting system that has become vitally important to their game economies.

X

XavierArcanus

You need a fourth option. I have a crafting character, but he does not produce everything. He's only got inscription, alchemy and tinkering currently. For everything else, I rely on other players.

S

Sindris

I can pretty much tell you the exact day that crafting as a profession was killed. The day they initiated BoD's. Suddenly everyone HAD to have a crafter, and so everyone did. Repair deeds came on the heels of that and at that point no one ever needed to bother getting repairs done at the forge ever again. Smelting made resource gathering much less important for skill gain than it had previously been and the skills went up more rapidly. Once creating a crafter became a simple matter of having the right macros, well then every single account in UO had overnight blacksmiths.

The one mistake they made when they released this game was to not limit every shard to one character each. That was the original intent, they shoulda stuck to their guns. I know many of you disagree, but then again a lot of people really thought all those godAWFUL neon colors were cool too. My poor smith dies a little inside every time he sees some dweeb in a neon green and blue outfit with ice white hair. What a joke.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Personally, I find it very sad that UO, the original persistent world with a wonderful crafting system and brilliant player economy, is now lagging so far behind games like SWG, which several years ago effectively destroyed crafting in a similar manner to UO, realized the mistake, and began reimplementing it to the point that it's actually better now than when the game first launched. Worse, UO's lagging behind MMORPGs like EQ2 and even LOTRO, games which don't even consider crafting a critical part of their game and yet which still manage to create a more entertaining crafting system that has become vitally important to their game economies.
Maybe a big overhaul on the crafting system might bring it up with other games. Not having same stuff that they have, but on the same level. But I don't think EA/Mythic would that that challenge.

X

XavierArcanus

I can pretty much tell you the exact day that crafting as a profession was killed. The day they initiated BoD's. Suddenly everyone HAD to have a crafter, and so everyone did. Repair deeds came on the heels of that and at that point no one ever needed to bother getting repairs done at the forge ever again. Smelting made resource gathering much less important for skill gain than it had previously been and the skills went up more rapidly. Once creating a crafter became a simple matter of having the right macros, well then every single account in UO had overnight blacksmiths.

The one mistake they made when they released this game was to not limit every shard to one character each. That was the original intent, they shoulda stuck to their guns. I know many of you disagree, but then again a lot of people really thought all those godAWFUL neon colors were cool too. My poor smith dies a little inside every time he sees some dweeb in a neon green and blue outfit with ice white hair. What a joke.
You're wrong. I played before BoDs, and there were complaints back then too that "everyone and their dog had a crafter".

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Got crafter?
I think its a fools game to assume that everyone with a crafter will craft their own goods.

Most people who do not follow crafting for a full time profession are not up with all the changes to crafting, how runics work, etc.

I ran into someone who tried to 'craft' thier own suit of armor with some runics they had and made some serious mistakes. I whipped out my spreadsheet and piles of extra equipment and put together a suit that completely destroyed their old suit.

I hope imbuing is even more complex that the current system to make it even more important to leverage full time crafters. Yes, its open to anyone but there is a time commitment to keeping up with the profession. It should be that way. There should be a barrier to entry in terms of time.

D

Dicimiie

Got crafter?
I have two. Smith/Tailor/Tinkerer/Carpenter/Alchemy/Miner and LJ/Bowcraft/Scribe. But I made these two characters as my mains a while back. I was a crafter primarily. Hunter secondary.

D

Dicimiie

I think its a fools game to assume that everyone with a crafter will craft their own goods.

Most people who do not follow crafting for a full time profession are not up with all the changes to crafting, how runics work, etc.

I ran into someone who tried to 'craft' thier own suit of armor with some runics they had and made some serious mistakes. I whipped out my spreadsheet and piles of extra equipment and put together a suit that completely destroyed their old suit.

I hope imbuing is even more complex that the current system to make it even more important to leverage full time crafters. Yes, its open to anyone but there is a time commitment to keeping up with the profession. It should be that way. There should be a barrier to entry in terms of time.
First... I wish to apologize for my double post because this post showed up as I was typing my last.

I'm in full agreement with the above post. Not everyone wants to craft. They do it out of what they deem is necessity. But I don't believe it needs to be that way. Imbuing, if done correctly, could be a good step towards making crafter/hunter interaction needed again. If they could add in the removal of repair deeds and the introduction of a repair gump, it would help a whole lot more.

We also need to take into consideration the possibility of SA adding new players (I'm an optimist) to UO, and these new players will be needing repairs/new armor from someone. That is where the forgesitters (me) come into play.

I don't believe BoDs killed crafters. Up until repair deeds came into the game (which I believe came after BoDs if memory serves), I had plenty of business. And I got to do BoDs as well, so it was a good time. Once repair deeds showed up, my time at the forge was unneeded, and I quickly grew bored. I'm sure I'm not alone here, too. Repair deeds are the primary reason why I stopped playing.

Draxous

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Got crafter?
My question is... why is your poll so skewed?

Look at how few people are truly crafters? Why isn't that playstyle more on par with others like PvPer or Monster Basher? Do you think that many of them got fed up with being generally worthless?

And my question is-is do you think people would still find it worth their time to craft the items consistantly and constantly if crafting was a much more important and involving profession?

I know TONS of players that currently use their crafters right now on production shards because all they have to do is buy a bunch of bolts from the tailor shop and cut them into aids... make a bunch of potion kegs, a few trapped crates and some shrukens/darts here and there in order to restock their characters.

Imagine having to do MUCH MORE than that constantly and then telling me people won't buy a suit of armor from a TRUE crafter at a reasonable price because they are sick of a playstyle they don't enjoy. - Which is why we will always NEED crafters if the system isn't completely broken like it is now.

How many people actually go out and get the runic kits themselves even with their own crafters?

I guarantee you most players with crafters buy and burn runics on their crafters... but dont hardly any crafting themselves.

Come up with a decent poll next time... this one doesn't answer the question you asked.

S

Sindris

You're wrong. I played before BoDs, and there were complaints back then too that "everyone and their dog had a crafter".
Well, been here since day one myself and before BoD's came along I did a lot of repairs at the Brit forge. Right up til the point of BoD release and maybe a week after until everyone discovered all the "cool stuff" you could get by doing BoD's. You are remembering things differently than I am apparently.

Draxous

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I'm going with the assumption that if you have your own crafter then you will craft your own goods if you have the option rather than rely on other crafters.
Why?

There are tons of people who have their own crafters, but don't enjoy the playstyle enough to play it constantly and would rather buy off of players who actually enjoy crafting.

Your poll is horrible.

C

Coppelia

Why?

There are tons of people who have their own crafters, but don't enjoy the playstyle enough to play it constantly and would rather buy off of players who actually enjoy crafting.

Your poll is horrible.
I agree!

Ylias Tendris

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is one option missing, so i didnt vote: I have a crafter but also rely on other players. This is because my crafter only does wood, smithy and tailoring but cant do alchemy or bowcrafting.

Dol'Gorath

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have my own crafter, have had one since around UOR. I made it because the "good crafters" felt they could overcharge for GM iron armor so I got tired pf paying and paying out the @$$ to replace my items every time I died and made my own crafter.
When SA comes out I'll likely made a Gargoyle crafter to make use of the bonuses they get to imbuing and such and make items exactly as I want rather than depend on someone else.

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Got crafter?
My question is... why is your poll so skewed?

Look at how few people are truly crafters? Why isn't that playstyle more on par with others like PvPer or Monster Basher? Do you think that many of them got fed up with being generally worthless?

And my question is-is do you think people would still find it worth their time to craft the items consistantly and constantly if crafting was a much more important and involving profession?

I know TONS of players that currently use their crafters right now on production shards because all they have to do is buy a bunch of bolts from the tailor shop and cut them into aids... make a bunch of potion kegs, a few trapped crates and some shrukens/darts here and there in order to restock their characters.

Imagine having to do MUCH MORE than that constantly and then telling me people won't buy a suit of armor from a TRUE crafter at a reasonable price because they are sick of a playstyle they don't enjoy. - Which is why we will always NEED crafters if the system isn't completely broken like it is now.

How many people actually go out and get the runic kits themselves even with their own crafters?

I guarantee you most players with crafters buy and burn runics on their crafters... but dont hardly any crafting themselves.

Come up with a decent poll next time... this one doesn't answer the question you asked.
There is no problem with the poll. It's quite informative in fact. The only problem is the results are not to your liking. Anyone that is familiar with your dribble knows why as well. Troll on BR, troll on...

Bomb Bloke

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is no problem with the poll. It's quite informative in fact. The only problem is the results are not to your liking. Anyone that is familiar with your dribble knows why as well. Troll on BR, troll on...
Er, I and others agree with him. You're missing some relevant options.

How many people DO go out and get their own runics?

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Poll was less about runics and more about how many players have crafters. The number of players with crafters is a very valid argument when speaking of new crafting content and things like item decay. Crafting community and economy are directly affected by the sheer volume of crafter in the world.

I fully expect a few people to agree with him. I'd be surprised if there wasn't. Then again the opinions of those people polarize against the majority. You, are not in the majority. Now, that doesn't make your opinion(or his for that matter) any less important or informative. It just shows that your idea of skewed is not exactly on the mark for some of the rest of us.

The point of the thread is to detemine if most players have a crafter. Like many polls some can consider it skewed or not perfect but this poll has gathered the information I believed to be true in the first place.

Bomb Bloke

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The poll is "skewed" in that it doesn't MATTER if people have crafters. What matters is whether they use them to full effect.

I refuse to believe that 80% of players craft all their own goods, from scratch, with no external aid. It has EVERYTHING to do with runics - If you see a player running around wearing exceptional armor with no properties on it, is your first thought that they're an expert crafter, or that they're a complete newbie?

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have 10 crafters (not counting cartography or harvesters), although most are not finished. I have enough soulstones/fragments that I don't have to do it this way, I just like building little stories around character concepts and assigning specialists to different tasks. Because I bounce around between characters without much focus, I don't make much worthy of sale.

I haven't decided yet if I will replace some with gargoyles, use my empty 7th slots or start a new gargoyles-only account. As much as I'd like to participate in the intial new-expansion gold rush, from a role-playing point of view, I'd like to build up any gargoyles from scratch. My choice will probably depend on how interesting the low-end systems look.

Draxous

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Poll was less about runics and more about how many players have crafters. The number of players with crafters is a very valid argument when speaking of new crafting content and things like item decay. Crafting community and economy are directly affected by the sheer volume of crafter in the world.

I fully expect a few people to agree with him. I'd be surprised if there wasn't. Then again the opinions of those people polarize against the majority. You, are not in the majority. Now, that doesn't make your opinion(or his for that matter) any less important or informative. It just shows that your idea of skewed is not exactly on the mark for some of the rest of us.

The point of the thread is to detemine if most players have a crafter. Like many polls some can consider it skewed or not perfect but this poll has gathered the information I believed to be true in the first place.
You tried making the poll say what you wanted it to say. That's why your poll is irrelevant and horrible.

If you were really looking for the answer to the question you asked, instead of trying to make the answer look like you wanted it to look... we wouldn't be having this conversation.

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The poll is "skewed" in that it doesn't MATTER if people have crafters. What matters is whether they use them to full effect.

I refuse to believe that 80% of players craft all their own goods, from scratch, with no external aid. It has EVERYTHING to do with runics - If you see a player running around wearing exceptional armor with no properties on it, is your first thought that they're an expert crafter, or that they're a complete newbie?
The problem is you want this poll to be about what you want it to. Simple as that. You want this poll to represent what you want it to. Just make your own.

Just for fun. You think that players with their own crafters often buy runic armor or do you think they prefer to buy the runics and make the armor themselves? That is more the point of my poll. If runics were available more readily by casual players and didn't require enormous effort or scripting it is my belief players would make the bulk of goods themselves.

The bottom line is more players are self sufficient than people suspect. If runics were something the majority of players with crafters could obtain the sale of good by crafters would be further diminished. This idea there is some big crafter economy to revive is false and misleading. Post after post on these forums continue to suggest there is somethign to resurrect in this regard is foolish. Thus, is my opinion.

As for the poll, again, I state what I wanted in the beginning. If you or BR don't like the results or the poll itself quit crying and make your own.

Ailish

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I do have a couple crafters ... but not because I wanted to have them or waste my character slots with them. It is because no one on my shard seems to want to sell goods with regularity (or at reasonable prices) anymore! Want some conflag pots? Tough luck, go make your own. Arrows? Buy them from an NPC or make your own. Armor? First pay me with the arms you wish to put in it, then I will see if I might have something that will work for you. If it will work for you I am gonna jack the price up 110% Half the time I can't even buy REPAIR DEEDS! (and lord knows there is no sweet, trustworthy repair man at the local smithy!) That one really gets me down, because I am too lazy to take all my armor off, change characters, repair it all, change back and put it all back on.

Ailish

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Further, I'm banking the concept that imbuing will allow more control with your own crafter will(in theory) lessen the need to buy from other crafters if you have your own.
You would be SERIOUSLY assuming (isnt there a saying about that word?) wrong. Whenever I can get away with it, I will purchase from other people in order to AVOID having to use my own crafter. I really don't want to be bothered with it, and the only reason I even wasted character slots on crafters was because it was the only way for me to obtain things. I mean, really, is it THAT freaking hard to keep your repair deeds vendor in stock, or, god forbid, stand at the forge and offer repairs???