• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Should they add Davies locker to UO Store?

Alex"Drake Iron Heart"CS

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Hey Guys,

I wanted to know people opinions about adding the Davies locker to the UO Store, It would make it easier for T Hunters to do their job, will also settle the price of the item and will also being some nice revenue to the UO development team.
@Bleak @Mesanna @Kyronix

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They should add all that kind of thing to the official store. They should also add resources and all the things the 3rd party sites sell.

Gold? Hmmmm that would need more discussion.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They should add all that kind of thing to the official store. They should also add resources and all the things the 3rd party sites sell.

Gold? Hmmmm that would need more discussion.
Wouldn't this in fact make UO fixing prices for all goods and services because unlike the 3rd party sites UO has unlimited supplies (even gold) and could sell everything cheaper. With your suggestion why would we even need vendors or Xfer Shields because the UO Store would have everything we need.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
With your suggestion why would we even need vendors or Xfer Shields because the UO Store would have everything we need.
There are always people who would rather gain everything in game without having to use real money or "pay to win". They would still use these features.

However with a game like UO dare I say most of the players are generally a bit older (due to the age of the game) and have more disposable income to spend on in game purchases (obviously not everyone). Also many have children and real life stuff to take care off so play time is limited.

Here is an example. I can go onto a 3rd party website and buy 60k of iron ingots for $2.50. How many hours would that take me to get in game? At my age I would much rather just buy it for real money than have to spend a good few hours doing boring mining to get this kind of thing. My time is precious!

The fact is there is already places to buy this kind of thing online. I'm sure lots is duped so they might also have unlimited supply. I would rather give my money to the official store than a 3rd party one. At least by giving it to EA/Broadsword it might go back into the game (doubtful) but it can help keep the lights on that extra bit longer.

Zeke

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Davies' Locker is an 8th year Vet reward and usually go for 60-80 Million (on Atlantic). Lasher or Windrunner or Soulstone Tokens go for about the same price, so you could buy 1k Sovereigns (which is what they probably would sell them for at their store if they did sell them) and see who would be willing to trade you for it.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I'm normally a fan of putting anything on the store that might generate revenue, but need to be cautious about putting higher end vet rewards as being available.

Most of the ones I've seen have gone for about 40m to 50m, but these can definitely climb to 75m-80m range if there haven't been any available on vendor search for a decent period of time. I think 750-800 sovs would be fair price if they were to put it on there, although marking it up to 1k would be the most likely outcome.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Scrap the whole vet reward program. It's dumb and nobody has cared since the 3 Physical Resist stopped mattering, and my 200th year sweet space man alien cyborg dog mount was rideable by a trial account.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If they put it in the store, I hope they have the common sense to give those who picked one with a vet reward the pick back...altho, tbh, being a vet in a game of nothing but vets seems kinda pointless anyway lol

Alex"Drake Iron Heart"CS

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
1k Soverign is a fair price in my eyes,
it would open lots more possibilities for new players also, not all players want to play mage or warriors, so making 50-80m in--game is not an easy task for them, but if they can do Tmaps and manage to get some loot they can sale or wear and also make a penny to play.
If EA/Broadsword want an extra income, this would be a great addition, I am not saying all vet rewards should be available, but this one is not a game changer and it bring even more enjoyment and settles prices for the item too.

Davies' Locker is an 8th year Vet reward and usually go for 60-80 Million (on Atlantic). Lasher or Windrunner or Soulstone Tokens go for about the same price, so you could buy 1k Sovereigns (which is what they probably would sell them for at their store if they did sell them) and see who would be willing to trade you for it.
Yeah you get the point.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Here's an idea - how about adding vet reward choices to the store, while revising the list of the Vet Reward items?

1. Use sovereigns to buy extra vet reward picks at your account's age level, for, say, the account's age in months x 100 sovereigns (with those old enough to get 2 a year, getting two for that price).

2a. Move all the clothing items to the store, and change them to cost 100-300 sovereigns each. Tweak the item IDs for the store ones, so that that the system can distinguish between them.
2b. Make reward dye tubs available in both store and vet rewards. Make all the first year dye tubs count as 1 pick for the set, with item IDs that are different from the originals. Tubs/tub sets would cost 500 sovereigns x the item's vet reward age in years.

3. Set up turn-in crates that allow the conversion of the pre-change clothing items and first year tubs into either other like items at a higher level, or into sovereigns (at 20% of the store value of the item). So, a sufficiently old enough account could trade in a copper cloak for a pink dress, or for 20 sovereigns.

4. Add "vet reward sets" to the Store, tied to the character's account age. For an outrageous amount of sovereigns (probably a 5-digit amount), if the account is old enough, you can buy a set of one of EVERY non-clothing reward for the account ages. For example, an 80-month account could buy a 12-month, 24-month, 36-month, 48-month, 60-month or 72-month set. Each set are items specific to that year of age (IE 36-month does not include the stuff from 24 or 12 months), and may be labeled as "replicas". No substitutions, and if an item is customizable, you only get one of them (banners, for example). The irony is that the first few levels of these will probably be the most expensive, due to the sheer number of 1-year and 2-year items. Past a certain point, the price would be driven by the equivalent costs for X number of picks, from #1 above.

5. Everything else - see #1, buying an additional vet reward slot (or having someone else get one for you).

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Why have a Vet Reward program if we keep trying to add them all to the store? I say no.
There is no contradiction in having both. You can either buy it for money and get it instantly, or you can decide to not pay any money for it and *simply* wait 8 years. If you wait you still get it for free as a reward for being a 8 year veteran.

But no! As a veteran I should be entitled! The noobs should spent their hard earned gold on me! It could be 80m in my pocket instead of EA's. Bla bla bla..

Whats up with this game that so many players want to make it as painful as possible for every possible new player? o_O

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
and adding it to the store would just go against the very idea of having rewards in the first place.
Why? The vet reward program gives you the locker for free after 8 years. The one in the shop has to be paid with real money. Is it not reward enough to get it for free? Do vets also need a monopoly on them? Sounds like people enjoying the entitlement more than the item itself (*wink* 15th anni robe *wink*).

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
F@&% no.

P2W items would kill UO faster than all BS's other missteps combined.

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Why? The vet reward program gives you the locker for free after 8 years. The one in the shop has to be paid with real money. Is it not reward enough to get it for free? Do vets also need a monopoly on them? Sounds like people enjoying the entitlement more than the item itself (*wink* 15th anni robe *wink*).
But an 8 year old vet didn't get this for FREE, he or she had to pay about $1000 in subscription fees to get that item as a reward ;) $$$ ;)

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
But an 8 year old vet didn't get this for FREE, he or she had to pay about $1000 in subscription fees to get that item as a reward ;) $$$ ;)
The vet paid to be able to play the game. After 8 years of doing so you are rewarded with an item other people would have to pay for. Without paying any extra for you!

Someone buying the locker from the store will have paid the same amount of monthly fees after 8 years as the vet plus the extra for the locker.

It's a pretty mood argument because you got something in return for those $1000 already. But I know alot of UO vets will never agree to this reasoning but rather feel they deserve special treatment.

Merion

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wouldn't mind if they added not only the locker but all vet rewards to the store. It would allow them to get cash of people who don't want to wait years and don't mind spending additional money.

Yes, our shiny exclusive item would not be exclusive anymore, but you get it for free and the other pay cash.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Personally I might prefer if they added a way to pay up your vet status... but I don't know...

Find a vet with rewards and buy one ....

I am more inclined to want gold sinks... but they need to be things that are purely deco... nothing that would give advantages.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
F@&% no.

P2W items would kill UO faster than all BS's other missteps combined.
:facepalm: Please tell us how Vet rewards would be consider a P2W item. WOW I am going to deco my castle with all these SUPPER UBER Vet Rewards and kill you all, LMAO.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
:facepalm: Please tell us how Vet rewards would be consider a P2W item. WOW I am going to deco my castle with all these SUPPER UBER Vet Rewards and kill you all, LMAO.
*slaps Frodo because he's a random contrarian*
This thread started veering away from just vet rewards by the 4th post...which you responded to. So :facepalm: yourself.

But, if we really must go there, any item which benefits a player in a material way (resources, sought after items, etc) could conceivably be considered P2W. Currently, the store is mostly vanity/deco and only sells a few such items (Forged tool, hammers) Vet rewards still hold the biggest advantage there (shard shields, resource givers, free storage, convenience items).

Alex"Drake Iron Heart"CS

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Please can we keep the thread about just the Davies locker if we can.
There has been some great argumets why to have vet rewards and why not to have them.

Now I put another point for you guys? Should a newish player (say 2-4 year vet) have to wait years to be able to get a Davies locker if he just wants to do Tmaps?
Remember, some players can make gold real easy, some other find it harder.... So a davies locker being 80M, might not be an easy task.

Arradin

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You dont *NEED* Davies locket to do tmaps, dont be silly. I do Maps all the time in classic and i Only use locket för storing maps. Its a HUNT afterall.

Absolutely NO on putting vet rewards in the store.

Noone need to wait years since any account age can use them. Buy something Else on the store to sell , like transfer token. And then buy a locker.

Despite what some People try to say, there are ZERO Good Reasons to put locker in the store. None.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey Guys,

I wanted to know people opinions about adding the Davies locker to the UO Store, It would make it easier for T Hunters to do their job, will also settle the price of the item and will also being some nice revenue to the UO development team.
@Bleak @Mesanna @Kyronix
As much as I hate vet rewards, I think they should stay free (ie as vet rewards)... in most cases. That said, something with unique function like this should probably be more available. I feel the same way about the seed box, com deed box, etc. I really don't like that sorting containers are hard to get at all. Imagine if BoD books were a 8 year vet reward. o_O

Maybe add that kind of thing to the store in a non attractive visual package. Instead of the nice DJ table it's just a brown box. All the utility, none of the flair.

Arradin

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As much as I hate vet rewards, I think they should stay free (ie as vet rewards)... in most cases. That said, something with unique function like this should probably be more available. I feel the same way about the seed box, com deed box, etc. I really don't like that sorting containers are hard to get at all. Imagine if BoD books were a 8 year vet reward. o_O

Maybe add that kind of thing to the store in a non attractive visual package. Instead of the nice DJ table it's just a brown box. All the utility, none of the flair.
Still invalid arguments since everyone vän buy and use any vet reward.
Back when you couldnt place and use without account age was completely wrong and i would understand concerns then but not now.