• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Should I try to fit necro on my mage?

• Thread starter imported_xStrikerx
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
I

imported_xStrikerx

My current template is:

Focus 80
Magery 110
Meditation 110
Resist 100
Wrestling 90
Inscription 100
Eval Int 110
(only 700 pts to work with)

Str 110
Dex 10
Int 135 - Mana 143

I seem to burn through my mana very fast with any spells I use and I'm looking for some more mana regen. Even fireball spamming through 1 room in doom and I'm below 20%. I have 45% LMC and 3 MR on my suit (looking to get more w/o sacrificing resists).

Would getting necro be worth the skill points and how many would I need? What skill would be good to drop?
How much would not having spirit speak hurt necro? Is necro worth it w/o having spirit speak?
Would I be able to equip +20 necro items, cast wraith form, and remove the items while keeping wraith form? Also, how useful is wraith form for mana regen?

I have a cookie for the person to who can answer these

I

imported_Zhakarin

I haven't tried with wraith form, but know from experience that you can equip items for casting vamp form, then unequip without losing form, so I imagine it works the same for wraith. If I were you, I'd drop focus and pick up the minimum (or maybe slightly more) necro needed to cast wraith so you don't have to mess around with switching stuff around every time you die so you can cast wraith. For anything other than vamp form, you really need spirit speak too. You'd have to completely drop inscribe and focus to make it effective.

Wraith form gives you mana leech based upon your spirit speak and the amount of damage your spells are doing, so if you hit a lot of critters (with area spells) or hit for big numbers, you'll leech back a lot. Summoning a dark wisp familiar will also help with mana regen.

BTW, LMC is capped at 40, so you don't bother trying to fit more.

I

imported_xStrikerx

Thank you for the reply. I was able to use wraith form and remove the items just fine. I think I'll try out necro and spirit speak once I complete a super slayer set.

*hands you the cookie*

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
important note on this, is that your spirit speak level affects your ability to leech, the higher the skill the more you leech, i found wraith form without or with very low ss useless alltogether, but am in an experiment right now where i will attempt 60/60 necro/ss and im curious if it will work as expected or not.

main reason for 60 only necro is those are the fun spells, although pain spike is pretty useless with only 60 ss, i expect that wraith form will be able to leech a decent amount of mana (however nowhere near the amount that 100 or 120 ss can leech, which is insane imho) also corpse skin is usefull even tho the duration is affected by the ss or the lack of same, so also exited to see how effective that will be.

but in your template i would advice the following:

necro 60
Spirit Speak 110
Magery 110
Meditation 110
Resist 100
Wrestling 100
Eval Int 110

drop focus, STONE inscription, and if you can, get some nice mana regen/lmc items, i noticed that you wrote you had 45% lmc, well im sad to inform you that cap for lmc is 40, so you can lose 5 points lmc for another mr or two (or more)

its a pretty good template from my point of view, sure it dont have any 120 skills, but those can be a pain to fit in template anyway and you dont really get much for the last ten points of a skill imo.

you sound to me like you havent alot of money to buy suits for, so i wont recommend any standard (rather expensive) armour parts, but try if you can to get some sdi on jewels along with fc and fcr 2/4 at the minimum, 2/6 is perfect, the vesper 1/2 shield is fairly expensive these days, due to they moved around on the frost trees and made them random, but it is a great pvm shield and allowes you to get better properties on jewels than just the bare essentials.

i just love my main necro, although sometimes i wish that i havent bought those 20er scrolls, cause its all taken from medi in the end.

here is her template:

110 Spirit speak (+10 on bloodwood spirit)
120 Eval Int
115 magery
115 Wrestling (am considering to stone it and retrain it to 100)
100 necro (+5 on bloodwood spirit (100% strangle))
100 resist (i have 120 on stone, but retrained it to allow more medi)
60 medi left (+11 on my scrappers)

its very effective template, but i often run into mana probs if i need to use summons of any kind or if i cant leech mana while in wraith form, like from ophidian warriors etc, and i hate that so the template above for you would work i think, you can leech mana while in wraith form from i would say 95-99% of all creatures (even lizardmen gives good mana back), so if you use direct damage spell and not that many summons the template i wrote for you should do the trick.

have fun with necro, and please dont drop inscription, it would be a biatdfsvsftg to train again, stone it instead, can pick up a fragment for around 400k im guessing, or legacy token from www.uogamecodes.com to claim a full green stone for $9.99, and the reactive armour + magic reflection trick is nice for the resis

Adios..

Gilmour

I

imported_xStrikerx

I have a 2/6 casting with a ring and ornament (first arty I got in Doom, lucky me, also the 3rd so I have a spare). I hope to find a 3 FCR ring with good SDI and additional LRC or stats. I use a shield with 40 luck, 15 DCI, and some resists. My LMC comes from orny, pendant, Nystal's hat, and scrappers so I cant drop just 5%. I plan on replacing the hat with the Kasa of the Ra-jin sometime (probably not for months though). I have a stone that Inscription can go on. I just hope I wont have to recast reactive armor anytime soon. My physical resist is very low (44). With reactive armor, my resists are 64/63/61/64/70.

The only 120 I would consider buying is for magery. I hate fizzling 2-3 times at 110 skill at a time when I really need an EV. The bonuses from 110 to 120 meditation and eval int do not seem significant.

I am going to start moving points from focus to SS and use +Necro items to cast wraith form.

Thanks for the detailed post.

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
which talisman do you have? a totem of the void with 10lmc would be enough that you would have 40lmc without the hat and can get kasa or brightsight lenses or something with mr in its place then.