• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Parry] Shieldmaster?? Q's about dodge...

F

Flinnt

I just came back to UO after a very very long time off (many years). I have decided I would like to make a sort of "Shieldmaster" meleer. This will be a pure PvM build.

My main question is, "What is my base chance to dodge an attack?" and how will it be modified by my DCI?

I planned on using:

120 Parry
70 Chiv
120 Fencing
100 Healing
100 Tactics
100 Anat
110 Resist

I would then aim for max resists with +45% DCI using a very fast life leech dagger (probably night's kiss to begin with).

The idea would be to basically dodge/block the majority of damage while EoO'ing monsters down. I would like to be able to kill some very big things. Maybe even gauntlet bosses? I don't know.

Is this type of template viable? Would I actually be able to kill anything that has any type of magic? Is a well timed FS->FS->EB wreck me? Or would I be stuck meleeing down Ogre Lords (which I might as well use my chiv archer for anyway)?

Any other info about making a "Tank" type character would be most appreciated! Thanks!

-Flinnt
Aka Berbal
Aka Herbal
Aka Lessa
Aka Ariantar

F

Flinnt

Is no one responding because no one knows the answer? Or is it a silly question that deserves no answer?

Sigh - I guess trial and error will be the only way to know this..

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Trial and error is a very good way to go about it.

This is similar to the template I use for my "away" character on a different shard. The answer is yes, it's viable.

Your chance of parry will be 35% (adding bushido and using 2 handed weapons gives 40%) and is checked seperately from DCI. So first it checks if you get hit based on your weapon skill, the weapon skill of whatever is attacking you and your DCI. Then if the hit is successful, 35% of the time, you will parry the attack and no damage will be done.

Even though I'm only at 100 fencing/tactics/parry, I still do very well in most situations. I've even had the character jousting againt crimson dragons and soloing invasion generals wearing nothing but non runic leather armor and a good war fork.

F

Flinnt

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

I wasn't quite sure how DCI plays into parry. Seperate checks make a lot more sense.