• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Sheep in a Forest Full of Wolves

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Not too long ago a good friend of mine asked me a question. He is a smart guy, and very capable, and he wanted to know if he should give up on pvp, because it seemed like he just couldn't compete, no matter what he tried. It is that conversation which has lead me to this post.

There are two basic problems here. The first problem is that it is probably a safe, and conservative estimate, that 90% or more of the top "predators" in the game, the high end pvp'rs, the "wolves", are running cheats of various sorts, the two most popular being C**** ****** and R****. Most of the "wolves" in the game are also using various a** *****. (Note that due to Stratics Forums policy I am not able to use the full names of applications or describe the specifics of various cheats, and that is in no way the intended purpose of this thread.)

"The-program-which-shall-not-be-named" is not generally used by the most dominant pvp'rs in the game anymore, and is more the province of pvm'rs and crafters, or pvp'rs when they perform what they consider to be mundane tasks, such as making "pots", etc. Unfortunately the hopes that I had for the third party cheat detection have, for the most part, not been realized.

The second problem is that most of the "wolves" in the game have far more time to dedicate to the game than your average player with a mortgage, a job, children, a cottage, a car to maintain, etc. etc. The key to dominance in any online game, even if you cheat, is practice, practice and more practice.

With all that said, after thinking about his question for some time, this is my answer to him. The short answer is, no and yes. No, you are not going to be able to compete at the same level as the most dominant players in the game, even if you choose to compromise your integrity and use the same cheats that they do, but yes, I think it is still worth trying to compete against them, and I think you can choose templates, and tactics which will mitigate the advantages that their cheats, and apparent abundance of free time give them.

So the next obvious question is, why do I think the war is worth fighting, even if you know you can't win? The answers are, in my opinion, fairly simple and straight forward, and are the same kind of answers I would give to anyone who is a "gamer" in the real world - a gamer with responsibilities, with love and friendship in her or his life, with a career, or even just a "job", with a family, and with interests that extend well beyond her or his addiction to gaming - because we might as well face it, most of us are addicts. :)

The answer is twofold. First off, you can learn a great deal about yourself, a great deal that is useful, in persevering in a war you know you cannot win, and where better to learn those kinds of lessons than in a controlled, relatively safe environment, such as that provided by a game like Ultima Online?

The second answer is that there are all kinds of "real world" benefits to be gained from "gaming". Believe it or not an online game like Ultima Online provides social benefits, exercises our mental faculties, and improves hand/eye coordination, helps teach computer and keyboarding skills, both of which are extremely important in our world today, and pvp specifically is very good at helping to train us to be able to focus on multiple objectives and sources of information at the same time, as well as teaching teamwork skills if you are involved in group pvp.

So the last question is, how do we make it fun? No one likes to be beat up all the time. Well the first obvious answer is, join a like minded group of players, or at least ally yourself with them. However, if you don't cheat, you will probably have to accept the fact that if you join any guild, or ally with anyone, you will probably have to face the prospect of fighting on the same side as cheaters, because as I have noted in other posts on the subject, cheating is part of the culture of online gaming, and of UO specifically. It is deeply entrenched and pervasive. Just about the best you can do is determine to keep your own game play "clean".

After that there are certain templates which will allow a character that has less time to commit to the game, and who doesn't use cheats, to still be somewhat competitive, or at least useful to your "team" in group pvp. Two of those templates which immediately come to mind would be the much despised stealth archer, or mobile tamer template such as a gargoyle tamer with a greater dragon as her or his weapon of choice. These templates still take skill to play well, but the learning curve for them is perhaps less sharp than it is for some other templates, and you are more likely to enjoy at least some success with them, and be useful to your team mates with them, even if you don't have the time to devote to the game that others do, and have chosen not to use cheats.

One of the wonderful things about UO is that we have a very experienced and dedicated veteran community, and a vast storehouse of communal knowledge to access. So if anyone else has any specific ideas for templates that would be more accessible to the "sheep" who want to venture into the forest, please feel free to share them. Another one I can think of is the vital role of faction thief in factions. Please feel free to be much more specific in discussing templates and/or tactics than I have.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
and this has what to do with factions?

maybe post this in the fel forum.

but since its here.
if you are saying that the top 90% of the pvp'r are NOT running 3rd party programs, then you are not in the guilds of 90% of the pvp'rs

cause let me guarantee you..... with 100% certainty that they are running 3rd party programs, and a lot of them.

without using names of programs, from enhancing your speed in game, to auto chugging pots, to having automatic robots parked hidden at key spots that come into vent and say who is coming into your area, to auto healing any and all guild mates within your circle automatically with bandaids, ect ect ect ect, and then get into changing the code in the game to make all trees into stumps, and change all fields into red boxes, ect ect ect

i could go on and on.

and if you think that they ARE NOT running these, then you need to get into more big pvp guilds, hehe.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
if you are saying that the top 90% of the pvp'r are NOT running 3rd party programs, then you are not in the guilds of 90% of the pvp'rs
There are two basic problems here. The first problem is that it is probably a safe, and conservative estimate, that 90% or more of the top "predators" in the game, the high end pvp'rs, the "wolves", are running cheats of various sorts, the two most popular being C**** ****** and R****. Most of the "wolves" in the game are also using various a** *****.
I think maybe you need to reread what I wrote... And I didn't realize there was a Fel specific forum. I just plunked the thread here because this seemed like the most appropriate spot. Feel free to move it if you like.

Luvmylace

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OR ... you can go to grownup PVP ,that takes real brains and has no tolerance for cheaters .And trust me that they would not survive in this world of raids and tiers and embattlements. You can even train your horses to war.... with their feet. who would have thought ! lol
if you cannot finish raid (tier one) you simply are not good enough for tier 2 .
Knock your opponent into the water In certain areas and he is food for fish ,,,nasty fish.
you must equip and train many things for your character I will try to show you what I mean .

age of conan.jpg
aoc.jpg
aoc2.jpg
combos.jpg
feats.jpg

Luvmylace

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
then there is the city southern city.jpg

you must mine the elements to build this from the ground up wall and towers included . and it also has tiers you must build tier 1 before tier2 etc
got the stomach for it ?

Below is the hyperlink to a really good view of what to expect in AOC

make sure you click past the ad and scroll down to the video.

http://conanvault.ign.com/