• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

setting up wireless connection

M

Mooge

Alright, so I'm new to ff xi and I just bought it today. I have a wireless router in my house and I want to connect to the internet using that. I'm trying to set up the wireless information, but I have no idea what the hell I'm doing.

1. What is ISP?
What do I put for User ID/password?
2. What is a DNS server?
What do I put in for Primary DNS server/Secondary? Should I set it to "Acquire automatically"?
3. What are auxiliary settings?(MTU value settings)
4. What is PPPoE? What info should I put in here?
5. What are Proxy servers and what do I do with this?

As you can see, I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. I've set up wireless settings before (my ps3, wii, ds etc.) but I don't know what the hell to do for this. I thought it would be as simple as searching for an access point, choosing my router, and then entering the WEP key. I was very wrong.

O

Onewing

Your best bet is to call your internet provider and have them tell you what to put into each field.

M

Mooge

Can someone please help? I'm trying to register for "PlayOnline". I really have no idea what to do.

EDIT- I'm using my ps3 to play it.

O

Onewing

Oh! I thought you were trying to setup your wireless router! My bad...

Open up your internet and type 192.168.0.1 (I think this is right) in your browser, this should open all of your wireless router settings. It'll have all the questions you asked above values.

M

Mooge

Well it asked for authentication, but I didn't know my username or password for "comcast home networking". I know YOU don't know my username or password, but do you know how to find out?

Trish

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Who else lives there? Ask someone else what the password is. If no one there knows, you'll have to call Comcast.

B

Banhammer

Yeah, you might want to give Comcast a call -- I assume they provided the wireless router?

M

Mooge

Yeah I guess I'll have to call them. Also, do I need the original FF XI to play or can I just use FF XI the vana'diel collection? The box says I need the original "to use these expansions" so I'm assuming the vana'diel collection is only the expansion packs.

Trish

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Vana'diel collection 2008 includes the game, all expansions and 30 days of playing time.

M

Mooge

Oh well that's just fantastic. I bought the original AND vana'diel thinking that vana'diel only included the expansions. Is ff xi really worth the 12 bucks a month? I see people saying it's better than WoW, is it really?

Trish

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, FFXI is 12.95 a month. WoW is $15 a month. I've never played WoW, but as I have posted before, I've seen many leave FFXI for WoW and come back not long after because it's boring compared to FFXI. Heck, the same thing can be said for any game.. just recently in the Toontown forums someone, who left for WoW just 3 months ago, is back already.

M

Mooge

Well if I could figure out how to get PlayOnline to connect to the internet I could try it out myself. I would use an Ethernet cable but my computer is too far away from my ps3. Did you guys have trouble registering for PlayOnlie?

Trish

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nope, but I never started on a PS3 either. We started as PC. 360 and PS2, but upgraded to a PS3. Never had a problem getting it to work.

M

Mooge

Well I figured it out. I did an Ethernet connection instead of a PPPoE wireless connection. So I'll be playing ff xi pretty soon.

M

Mooge

Hmm, how does this free 30 days thing work? It won't let me play unless I buy a content ID.

EDIT- nvm

M

Mooge

Well, my name is MonkyKing and I'm a monk Galka on the Titan server. It seems like a pretty good game, but it also seems like it's going to be impossible to lvl up lol. Do you guys know a good way to make money at lvl 1?

B

Banhammer

Well, my name is MonkyKing and I'm a monk Galka on the Titan server. It seems like a pretty good game, but it also seems like it's going to be impossible to lvl up lol. Do you guys know a good way to make money at lvl 1?
Money can be a tricky thing at low levels. For now, best thing to do is to make sure you get a Signet from the gate guards. That buff lets you get crystals from mobs -- they sell on the auction house for about a thousand gil a stack. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

M

Mooge

Oooh, right the signet spell. When ever I talk to the south gate guard he always won't talk to me because I'm in the middle of a quest. I guess I'll have to try the north guard. Also do you guys know where the something-druf wabi is? I'm on my second mission and Cid asked me to go test some water in this place until it turns blue. I have no idea where the place is (something-druf wabi). I forgot its name...

O

Onewing

I believe it's Dangruf Wadi (I think). If you go to South Gustaberg and travel west, you'll see something on your map called The Fumaroles. Further west, and you'll enter the Dangruf Wadi...

But a warning, lest your level 8 or above, it might be a dangerous run. You might search for somebody willing to be your body guard. ;)

M

Mooge

Aha, Dangruf Wadi! I'll look for it. Yeah I got chased down by a gang of Goblin Thugs...it sucked. I can't afford potions either so I can't heal myself. Also, I'm using a controller to talk so it takes about 2 minutes to type a sentence. I think I'm going to have to buy a keypad for my controller. If I can start making some money and I get a keypad, or learn to type fast with a controller, I'll be set. This game is pretty cool. If it was easier to solo and a few more people played it would be pretty great. What servers do you guys play on?

Trish

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think I'm going to have to buy a keypad for my controller.
Might I suggest a USB full sized kb? You won't regret it (and it's probably cheaper, lol).

I'm a San d'Orian Tarutaru on Caitsith. :)

M

Mooge

Might I suggest a USB full sized kb? You won't regret it (and it's probably cheaper, lol).

I'm a San d'Orian Tarutaru on Caitsith. :)
Wait would just a regular old pc keyboard work for my ps3? Because I think I have one lying around somewhere.

Was being a Galka Monk a good idea? I kinda wish I had been a Mithra thief or something...though I guess i could try to be a Galka thief. What's a good sub job for monks? I'm thinking I might be a monk samurai, but then I'd have to wait till lvl 30, which will take freakin forever (I'm lvl 4). I don't really want to be a monk warrior...because that's so boring...any ideas? :pancakes:

T

tanls

I'm on Pandy, but I don't really do all that much low level much anymore. It's a matter of play time. I actually prefer doing a lot of the low to mid level stuff, but don't have as much time for it. As far as gil is concerned, you will always be trying to get it. One of the best ways to make gil at low level is to keep as much stuff that drops as you can and then sell them either on the AH or to NPCs. AH usually gets you more gil, but NPC get it to you faster. Don't throw away the beastman seals. They won't do you any good now, but you will need them later to get into BCNMs. These can make you some decent gil if you get the drops.

Good Luck.

T

tanls

Wait would just a regular old pc keyboard work for my ps3? Because I think I have one lying around somewhere.

Was being a Galka Monk a good idea? I kinda wish I had been a Mithra thief or something...though I guess i could try to be a Galka thief. What's a good sub job for monks? I'm thinking I might be a monk samurai, but then I'd have to wait till lvl 30, which will take freakin forever (I'm lvl 4). I don't really want to be a monk warrior...because that's so boring...any ideas? :pancakes:
If it will hook up, I'd use it. Is it a USB keyboard?

Galka monks are good, you have the highest HP race with the highest HP job. You won't be able to get a sub job until you hit lvl 18 and complete the quest, but when you do, your only real option for monk is warrior. Once you get to advanced job level, your sub job options open up, and you might even want to change your main. As it is, there really isn't anything that will provide you meaningful bonuses. You could sub Thief, but as far as partying, WAR would be preferred.

M

Mooge

If it will hook up, I'd use it. Is it a USB keyboard?

Galka monks are good, you have the highest HP race with the highest HP job. You won't be able to get a sub job until you hit lvl 18 and complete the quest, but when you do, your only real option for monk is warrior. Once you get to advanced job level, your sub job options open up, and you might even want to change your main. As it is, there really isn't anything that will provide you meaningful bonuses. You could sub Thief, but as far as partying, WAR would be preferred.
Idk if it's a USB keyboard...I'll have to check.

Yeah I guess I'll have to use the warrior class as a sub. Well I like being a Galka anyways. They're really cool looking and you don't look like every other person. Would a Monk Samurai work well?(I know I have to wait till lvl 30)

What would be cool is if it actually mattered where you positioned yourself during a fight. If you got really good you could dodge attacks by moving out of the way.

T

tanls

As you get more into the game, you'll discover different combinations of sub jobs might benefit you for different things. Many are situational. Once you get up there, experiment.

Facing does matter to a certain extent. You can't really "dodge" an attack manually, but you can run out of range. Also, there are conical attacks that will affect only ppl that are physically in front of the mob, and things like Sneak Attack where you have to be physically behind the mob.