• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Serious Questions

C

Creed84

This is regarding the devs bringing web features into the game and will be bringing more into the game.
Do you really want them?
Do you see yourself really using them when you play or it just be another feature of the game that sits idle because you have no need in using it?
Do you use what is in the game now and does it enhance your game experince and how?
Do you think these features are worth having at the expense of losing what features we already have in the game?
Do you wonder why the devs are spending time on this, and not on things that are more relevant to the game? (Say like new jobs, being able to use diagonal walls, new pets, getting the cities to EALand or is there no longer a deadline ?)

I

imported_corpatortis

Do you think this thread will blow the [censored] up like all the others? Yes.

I don't mind the new features. Whatever they want to do is fine. If I don't like it I simply (haha sim) won't use them.

G

I think that the 'old' players of The Sims Online game were and are completely insufficient in numbers, to save the game from being completely shut down. Tailoring the changes in the game just to them, is futile and pointless, as they are just not numerous enough to make a difference to the outcome.

I think that the appeal to a much larger, newer player base is the whole point of many of these new features.

I believe that the only hope, the small minority of players, that survived the rise and fall of TSO, (which was guess-timated to be 57,000 at it's peak, then fell down to 9,000 in the spring of this year, just before Luc arrived), have of keeping *any* semblance of the game they loved, is to adapt and make the most, of these changes.

I believe that the availability of Custom Content and the publicity of being connected to Facebook, will cause a resurgence of player numbers....I just hope it will be soon enough and strong enough to insure a future for the game.

I think you can not make an omelet without breaking the eggs, first.

And finally, I think that if you do not want everyone's candid opinion, then you should not publicly, ask for it.

M

Meggers

I think that the 'old' players of The Sims Online game were and are completely insufficient in numbers, to save the game from being completely shut down. Tailoring the changes in the game just to them, is futile and pointless, as they are just not numerous enough to make a difference to the outcome.
------------------------------------

The "old" players are the only reason this damn game is still running.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong!

....the 'old' players...and the lack there of, were why this game was *shutting down* this summer.

Luc's persuasiveness and ability to sell his new plans for the game, to The Powers That Be (corporate honchos), is why the game is 'still running'.....and at that, only until he either pulls off a complete turn around ....or runs out of time.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Do you see yourself really using them when you play or it just be another feature of the game that sits idle because you have no need in using it?

[/ QUOTE ]
No.
<blockquote><hr>

Do you use what is in the game now and does it enhance your game experince and how?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't use them.

If others do, then that's great and I'm glad the features are there for them.

G

This is regarding the devs bringing web features into the game and will be bringing more into the game.

Do you really want them? <font color="red"> Yes I can see a use for them - particularly when it comes to being able to buy and sell objects or possibly property without needing to log in </font>

Do you see yourself really using them when you play or it just be another feature of the game that sits idle because you have no need in using it? <font color="red">Yep, I'll think I'll use them, depends what we get in all honesty </font>

Do you use what is in the game now and does it enhance your game experince and how? <font color="red"> Early days yet so not making any difference my game experience. However I keep seeing a LOT of new players from Europe and the UK and I have to wonder where they're hearing about the game from .... could be that my game play is already being enhanced by these new features </font>

Do you think these features are worth having at the expense of losing what features we already have in the game? <font color="red">In order for the game to progress and change and attract new players, some of the things we've been used to in the past may need to change. I'm happy for that to happen if it means new players and a shiny new future for the game </font>

Do you wonder why the devs are spending time on this, and not on things that are more relevant to the game? (Say like new jobs, being able to use diagonal walls, new pets, getting the cities to EALand or is there no longer a deadline ?) <font color="red"> No I don't wonder. At last count there are 17 devs and Parizad our community rep, they all have their areas of expertise, one (or two?) are working on web apps, the rest are concentrating on other things </font>

Polly

C

Creed84

<blockquote><hr>

I don't mind the new features. Whatever they want to do is fine. If I don't like it I simply (haha sim) won't use them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well they will remove features you have now and want to get these new features into the game. Plus more memory space used up on your computer for something that has no use to you.

C

Creed84

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

No what brought people back and got them interested was what was FIRST seen on the wiki when this all started. It is a select few that are here because of Luc's persuasive skills and EALand hasnt seen one once of real marketing. It has all been relied on word of mouth by the play still playing, dont say it isn't true. Because many times it has been put on our backs, many times people have wondered why is there no real marketing of this, and out of your mouth Gilly, we were suppose to be that
There arent enough "new" players to amount to what you have said Gilly.

Wrong!

....the 'old' players...and the lack there of, were why this game was *shutting down* this summer.

Luc's persuasiveness and ability to sell his new plans for the game, to The Powers That Be (corporate honchos), is why the game is 'still running'.....and at that, only until he either pulls off a complete turn around ....or runs out of time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tailoring them to people like you isnt doing them game any good either. You seem to not have a clue that most people are here still because they have a lot invested in the game in different ways not because of of LUc, nor any of devs. They would still be here playing it even if it remained the same. The cc is ok, but not all that. Seens and done better both in what can be done and how it is incorporated into the game. Now this thread was to ask questions, serious purposeful questions, unless Gilly by your words and behavior you are saying that that only the opinions of a select few matter and the rest can go take a walk off a short pier?

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

No what brought people back and got them interested was what was FIRST seen on the wiki when this all started. It is a select few that are here because of Luc's persuasive skills and EALand hasnt seen one once of real marketing. It has all been relied on word of mouth by the play still playing, dont say it isn't true. Because many times it has been put on our backs, many times people have wondered why is there no real marketing of this, and out of your mouth Gilly, we were suppose to be that
There arent enough "new" players to amount to what you have said Gilly.

Wrong!

[/ QUOTE ]

Tailoring them to people like you isnt doing them game any good either. You seem to not have a clue that most people are here still because they have a lot invested in the game in different ways not because of of LUc, nor any of devs. They would still be here playing it even if it remained the same. The cc is ok, but not all that. Seens and done better both in what can be done and how it is incorporated into the game. Now this thread was to ask questions, serious purposeful questions, unless Gilly by your words and behavior you are saying that that only the opinions of a select few matter and the rest can go take a walk off a short pier?

[/ QUOTE ]

The point here Creed is, its not about just the old players. There is more to it than that. If all we had was old players, then there is no game because without new players there is no future. It wasn't the old players that kept this game alive. If it wasn't for what Luc did, this game would have been gone mid summer last year. Oh, and I don't think bashing Gilly is going to get you anywhere either. Gilly may come off as...you know, but that is part of her charm. As far as features in game, I've used every single one of them. Just because you and a few others don't, doesn't mean they need to go away.

For instances, I hear a rumor in game, I simply press the blog or wiki button. There is a use for everyone, whether you like it or not. I like the ideas that they have put in place. Personally, I think if you don't use them, then you don't use them. It doesn't interfere with your playing of the game. Why get all huffy puffy about it?

G

Luc's persuasiveness and ability to sell his new plans for the game, to The Powers That Be (corporate honchos), is why the game is 'still running'

You beat me to posting that observation. Luc is gambling that many more new players will be attracted to EALand than old players who can not stand change will leave. We will find out in the next several months.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

These changes are not tailored to me.....I am one of the 'old' players.

None of these things would have been on *my* personal priority list. But the simple facts are, that the game was dead without Luc. If he does not succeed in building up the numbers, and within the time limit EA has set, then there will be *nothing* brought to the game from anyone's wish list.

So it doesn't matter very much if *I* use the new features....whether or not they are 'tailored' to me, because the real purpose is not to attract *me* or any other 'old' player....we are already here.

It only really matters if those features attract new players. And Facebook and Custom Content, seems to be doing exactly that!

Although, I admit, I quite fancy the idea of bitmap paintings to hang on my wall....

G

<blockquote><hr>

In order for the game to progress and change and attract new players, some of the things we've been used to in the past may need to change. I'm happy for that to happen if it means new players and a shiny new future for the game

[/ QUOTE ]
NOIP
I'm responding here to the thought rather than the poster.
I have seen this sentiment about "the game" repeated often in defending the decisions of EA.
But when you think about it, the changes to the game are so many and so far reaching, that TSO itself no longer exists. The game that will exist in the future will have little resemblance to what we remember.
When folks say that certain new features will benefit the future of "the" game, that is a sad mis-statement. Whatever the future of the game, it will not be TSO. It will be as different as baseball and football.
So, if anyone wants to support whatever the future may bring, fine - ok.... that's your decision and you're entitled to it.
But to speak as if this 'future game' has any substantial ties to TSO.... as if these "improvements" will 'enhance' your "TSO" experience.... well, that's just wishful thinking.

K

Keep It Real

I think the game is being targeted at people who want to make CC and then sell it for rl money. (The same thing MANY players bitched about to start with, rl money becoming a part of the game and "ruining" the economy.) Anyway, it should be interesting to see if this game turns a profit for EA and how long it will be supported by a Dev team.

I

imported_corpatortis

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Well they will remove features you have now and want to get these new features into the game. Plus more memory space used up on your computer for something that has no use to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

My computer is in no danger of running out of space. Every game has features I don't like and just take up space. TSO is on the lowest end of the scale in memory consumption compared to my others.

If they remove something.. big freakin' deal. Honestly. The old features are what sent the game into a tailspin. Revamp them.. remove them.. I don't care.

I

imported_Gracie Nito

Do you really want them?
<font color=blue>The only web feature I ever wanted was a way to hyperlink urls in game that would take me straight to a webpage. It has always been a pain to go look at a website from game. You can't even copy and paste a link someone gives you.</font color=blue>

<font color=blue>The idea of shopping online and having items delivered to me in game does sound appealing.</font color=blue>

<font color=blue> I have used the avatarbook to check to see when the last time my friends or roomies logged in. Sometimes our schedules just don't mesh and I wonder if I keep missing them or if I should get concerned about their welfare.
</font color=blue>
Do you think these features are worth having at the expense of losing what features we already have in the game?
<font color=blue>
Any new feature that might appeal to new players is a good thing. I'm not happy about losing any features in lieu of new ones. I think they should continue to add new things without completely destroying the old.
</font color=blue>
Do you wonder why the devs are spending time on this, and not on things that are more relevant to the game? (Say like new jobs, being able to use diagonal walls, new pets, getting the cities to EALand or is there no longer a deadline ?)
<font color=blue>
I understand that only a couple of developers have been brought on board to handle web features and also understand many others are working on things that I find more appealing.
</font color=blue>

G

face it guys the game as we know it is gone and what their doing is rebuilding a whole new game out of our game... i dont know what the future holds for all of us sims but you know im gonna stick around to find out we may just like the new game better then the old. And i do agree we would have been shut down if Luc and the rest of the team werent brought in to spice it up a lil. So you know im not gonna pancake im not gonna moan im gonna take the ride with them and see just what will happen in the future what do you have to loose.... if they werent here we may have lost our game forever at least now theres a glimmer of hope that we may still continue to play.

I

imported_sedusa

<blockquote><hr>

Do you really want them?
<font color="brown">What is available so far, no I dont. </font>
Do you see yourself really using them when you play or it just be another feature of the game that sits idle because you have no need in using it? <font color="brown"> I like the idea of having clickable urls that open my browser up since we cant copy and paste that stuff. I hope we get something like that. </font>
Do you use what is in the game now and does it enhance your game experince and how? <font color="brown">I've never been a fan of facebook, myspace type stuff so it's safe to say that it does nothing to enhance my game experience. </font>
Do you think these features are worth having at the expense of losing what features we already have in the game? <font color="brown">If you could be more specific about what features that we have lost or might lose I might better answer this question. </font>
Do you wonder why the devs are spending time on this, and not on things that are more relevant to the game? (Say like new jobs, being able to use diagonal walls, new pets, getting the cities to EALand or is there no longer a deadline ?) <font color="brown">I don't wonder at all. It's all about what is "hot" now days, and not about what was. It's about bringing in new players, and having the game make money. If I had a business that was out of date, and I think this game is, then I would be trying to bring it into the new era of how things are. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="brown"> I don't necessarily like everything that is being added or may be added to the game, but I understand the reason for it from a business standpoint. Whether I will continue on with the game as it grows and changes only time will tell, and at this time I am willing to wait and see. </font>

I

imported_Qute Pi

<blockquote><hr>

Do you really want them?
<font color="red"> Web features as in facebook, I have no use for. I don't want to belong to another social networking site, and in fact have canceled any other social sites I used to belong to. That is so 2005! lol. Seriously tho, I have always enjoyed the game itself, not so much the social part of it. I have no use for seeing stuff online that can be viewed in game. I'd rather be in the game and play it. Plus I have privacy issues, and this just makes it worse. </font>

<font color="red">The idea of CC being shown online is a good feature. Otherwise I don't see myself using any web features. I just want to play a game I pay for to have fun...As time goes on I realize none of the new features are fun to me.</font>

<font color="red"> I don't enjoy TC3 at all, I prefer to play in reg cities at this time, and I hardly even play there anymore. I have attempted CC (my chair came out ok, altho no car by any means lol) and feel like it is aimed at those with previous experience and to those who enjoy making rl money from the game. It just doesn't fit into my play style. I joined TSO over 5 years ago, and stayed with it, now that the new features are being shown I can't see myself as being a dedicated ea / tso player any longer.</font>

<font color="red"> I don't know how to answer this, because how I play and what is popular to others are often different. Is it worth it to me? No, my favorite game is gone. Is it worth it to EA, I believe for those of us that aren't so into the old game, will enjoy some of the new features.</font>

<font color="red"> I think there are other features I would enjoy seeing that aren't being developed. I believe the reason things are how they are is because TSO will no longer exist later. What's sad to me is the lack of communication regarding the future. They throw an idea out there to see what we think, even tho probably only 5% of players respond to it. We ask questions and they don't respond like its a big secret. Lack of communication is more discouraging than hearing what I don't want to. Besides I feel used, I'm paying for a game that always has problems, even for those of us in production cities, and I never signed up for beta testing. I'm waiting on my 6 month credit lol. Since I know I'll never get that, I'm waiting on my anniversary gifts before I cancel my additional accounts and remove the game from my pc. However I do wish those who support the game, luck. I'm just not gonna stick around for a game I don't enjoy because I have a 5 year history. Every time a door closes a new one opens, I look forward to my new door...</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Basically the lack of wanting to play answers my question on how I feel. Days can go by now and I don't even bother to start TSO. "That's Life"

I

imported_Qute Pi

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the reason they would have been shutting down this summer (if that was the case) was due to lack of game updates or lack of any attention to this game, which caused a loss in player numbers. The "old players" did keep this game alive as long as they did prior to Luc coming along. Lack of updates is what killed it.

D

dinaj

Do you really want them? NO

Do you see yourself really using them when you play or it just be another feature of the game that sits idle because you have no need in using it? I will never use them ...

Do you use what is in the game now and does it enhance your game experince and how? Nope, does nothing for my game

Do you think these features are worth having at the expense of losing what features we already have in the game? NOPE

Do you wonder why the devs are spending time on this, and not on things that are more relevant to the game? (Say like new jobs, being able to use diagonal walls, new pets, getting the cities to EALand or is there no longer a deadline ?) EVERYDAY

D

dinaj

I totally agree with this statement, I would have never quit the game for 2 years if they had given us updates. I doubt I will stay once the new one is finally released but I will stay around long enough to give it a try

O

ozzynowgone

the old players were always there with or without the glorious luc qute pi is exactly right the problems were a lack of any updates there was no reason to scrap sims and create this crappy version of second life the ppl that liked second life went there a long time ago the so called improvements that they made is why i left after playing a long long time now the sims wont exist in any form really but wow got some new chairs now personally i preferred the old chairs and the old game was much more fun the real reasons there was problems with the game was a complete lack of attention on ea's part

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the reason they would have been shutting down this summer (if that was the case) was due to lack of game updates or lack of any attention to this game, which caused a loss in player numbers. The "old players" did keep this game alive as long as they did prior to Luc coming along. Lack of updates is what killed it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree. If those of us who stuck around had left, like so many others, the game would have been losing money way before it was. The old players are what kept it alive. EA's neglect is what killed it.

So far what I see of their web applications are useless to me. I do not like FB, and I really don't want to be getting messages in game that my "wall was signed" by some person I do not even know. We have an in game mailing system, use it. I also don't like the idea of shopping on web sites. I have no intentions of hooking up my paypal account to this game, ever.

I am paying to play the game, not browse the web, that I can do for free.

As someone else mentioned, the one thing I would like added would be clickable urls.

G

I stopped playing TSO for the second time when things started changing a lot. The more it seemed to be like SL and not the old TSO.. I lost interest. I had been in POTC online beta and when it went live... I saw no reason to be paying for TSO when I didnt enjoy it anymore and paying for POTC that I played all the time and love. Any time that I have the pangs of missing TSO.. all I have to do is come in to City Hall and see the strangeness of what once was TSO and the unhappiness of so many people that seem to have been disappointed also. So, missing TSO is pointless... since it really doesnt even exist anymore. Im all for whatever EA wants to do keep "a" game going.. even it is not TSO. But I wont be a part of it. I had high hopes for the changes... I wont put them down... or bash anyone, it just isnt for me.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

Do you really want them?
Doesn't really matter one way or the other to me.

I would probably used these features from time to time

Yes, I use them on a daily basis.

What web features have we had in the past would we be losing?

[/ QUOTE ]
Why are we assuming that web features are the only items the devs are working on? Assumption is the mother of all misunderstandings is what I've heard.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Do you really want them?
Doesn't really matter one way or the other to me.

I would probably used these features from time to time

Yes, I use them on a daily basis.

What web features have we had in the past would we be losing?

[/ QUOTE ]
Why are we assuming that web features are the only items the devs are working on? Assumption is the mother of all misunderstandings is what I've heard.

[/ QUOTE ]
I suppose the assumptions are due, in part, because the devs are not very forthcoming with what *is* being worked on - game-wise that is. We still don't know what the 'wonderful' and 'fun' things (they say will be in EALand) will turn out to be.
So, folks are speculating.

I

imported_Shirl1211

What a rude thing to say to us *old players*. We are the ones responsible for keeping this messed up game going. I wonder how many of the new players will hang around with the bugs, lag, and chaos we've put up over the years. I am appalled by that comment. Enough said!!!!!

I

imported_fajjaa

The slow process of losing us old players is what got the game in the position to be brought to Luc's attention. Not only would have updates kept people playing, how about taking a look at the number of people that left the game just because the anniversary gifts stopped. An anniversary gift, a few new rare pets to strive for, another round or two of free gifts to sign up friends, along with updates like the ones for the offline games. With these, the games population would have more than likely sustained itself.

People relate to this game with the offline version not second life. The inflow of newbs that Ive seen are rather young and that tells me it is their interest in the offline game that is bringing them here. I hope they have access to 10 bucks a month like us old players do...had...did.

G

I wish people would stop living in the past. Its time to moooove on, moving on means change, without change we would have no game to play. On the one hand people beg for new, but they arent happy with the new they get. Sure a new rare would have kept people happy...for about a day. Im hoping the changes they are making will make people happy for years to come.

The web services are a good thing. From FB I have personally gotten 3 people to sign up for TSO, and Im working on 3 more. Maybe thats small beans, but its 6 times as many people as I ever got to sign up in the past.

I

imported_Shirl1211

I am in total agreement with you Qute. I don't believe for one second that this game would have survived without the *old* players. We are in it for the long haul and I may and may not like some of the changes that take place, but I am certainly willing to go along with whatever they come up with to make this game as sucessful as it was back in 2003-2004. I'm not ready yet though to give Luc the ole pat on the back for making this game what it is though. I just hope the Dev's can make it better.

I

imported_Qute Pi

<blockquote><hr>

I'm not ready yet though to give Luc the ole pat on the back for making this game what it is though. I just hope the Dev's can make it better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for saying that because its so true. So many people praise him....I say for his efforts; its great that he cares, but until the changes make a true difference in this game I am not going to pretend to be happy with every change that is made. I look forward to other changes that will make this game fun (to me), lets hope they are created, and not just talked about.

I

imported_Shirl1211

Not sure what you mean by *living in the past*. I'm not. I'm all for the new changes but i'm really tired of hearing about the rise and falls of the game and the OLD players getting beat down (so it seems). My opinion and I think i'm speaking for a few others is that old and new players should have a little graditude towards the people who kept this game from going under!!! The Dev's and Luc are not the hero's here yet!!!! I truly hope they can bring this game back to what it use to be..**BUSY**! The past has nothing to do with anything us old players want, but again I will say, we are the ones that has given the Dev's something to work with.

G

<blockquote><hr>

What a rude thing to say to us *old players*. We are the ones responsible for keeping this messed up game going. I wonder how many of the new players will hang around with the bugs, lag, and chaos we've put up over the years. I am appalled by that comment. Enough said!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I am talking cold hard numbers, and it is neither 'rude' or personal, to state that the numbers of 'old players' were insufficient to support the game.....

It is hardly an act of noble sacrifice to play a game and chat with friends. I am certain that 'new' players will be as up to the challenge, as we were.

I

imported_Shirl1211

Yes Gilly but for how long will the new accounts stick around? Numbers or not, the game didn't fold!!! Almost but didn't. How do you explain that. Maybe if the 51,000 of us who did keep paying our subcriptions every month had stopped, we wouldn't even have to deal with this issue. No matter what anyone says...it's the old players that have kept this game in action!

N

NightFlyer

I totally agree.

Without the long time hard core simmers there would be nothing left at all.

I'm getting tired of being bashed as a founder. Without us you would have no game at all.

I wonder how long all these new simmers will last? I see alot of trial accounts lately. They are already whining about the downfalls in the game that we are all used to (skilling drudgery, lack of locks, lack of speed etc.).

How long do you think daddy will use his credit card for a kid who is bored in 3 hours?

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

<blockquote><hr>

It is hardly an act of noble sacrifice to play a game and chat with friends. I am certain that 'new' players will be as up to the challenge, as we were.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since you are a mod, albeit a long time TSO player, it is one thing for you to denigrate customer loyalty. I would hope that EA is not so cavalier, although at this point I am not so sure your attitude misses the mark.

One of the basic tenets of business is that maintaining loyal customers is the golden key.

Any basic business text will tell you that loyal customers spend a third more than new customers, and that referrals are 110% higher from long time, loyal customers. Any company that neglects its loyal customer base will fail.

We have been told that we, the current subscribers, are needed to market the game. EA will be saving marketing dollars if we do the advertising for them. To do this, they darn well better look to the bottom line of keeping us "loyals" satisfied. Indifference and insincerity are not long tolerated by customers, and EA -- not just TSO -- has been repeatedly criticized for these qualities (or lack thereof).

EA needs to reach out and grow a larger subscriber base if this game is going to continue. However, putting loyal customers first should be a priority, especially since EA is expecting US to help grow the subscriber base.

I'm more than a smidge offended by having my loyalty to this game sneered at by you. I hope those on the true business side of this endeavor feel differently.

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

Do you really want them?
<font color=blue>I have given this much thought, and cannot think of one web feature I want in the game. Not one. The people who study internet security risks have dire warnings about widgets and such things that our devs seem to think we will enjoy. Nothing, and I mean nothing, that one of these thingies can bring into the game will compensate me for having my computer security compromised.</font color=blue>
<font color=blue>If I want to do something else besides play the game, I go and do that. I know many people surf the web or play Pogo or instant message while playing. However, this behavior always shows in game. If reasons to be AFK from the game are addressed it would be a great improvement.</font color=blue>
<font color=blue>No. No.</font color=blue>
<font color=blue>No.</font color=blue>
<font color=blue>I have come to the conclusion that the devs have a much different vision of what is relevant for the game, and of play, than I do. I keep looking for a glimmer of their vision, but so far it is all "through a glass darkly."

I

imported_fajjaa

Well said Dali, a perspective spoken from economic experience. When Luc started the blog, he came to us old players, I think I like the term, loyal customers much better. He asked us what needed to be done to make the game better. A couple early ideas are actually in the game. But it is mainly his own agenda that is leading the way. 4 plus years of in game experience from us loyal customers could have gotten things off to an exciting start to rebuilding this game. The returning players from one and two year hiatuses, would have seen the miracles they were hoping for, and that would have created a stronger loyalty base of customers. Fly by night customers arent much to place your hopes in.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

If I were to quit today, it would have nothing to do with EA games. It would be more like being sick and tired of dealing with players with crappy attitudes.

I'm tired of hearing all the whining and wimpering and bashing and complaining.

If someone doesn't want to play the game, they are not helping EA games at all by continuing to play and run their mouths in game. They aren't happy and they want to be sure no body else is either I guess.

I love it when a 'newbie' sim comes to my house and spends time with me. And I love it when they tell me that for once in their short TSO life they've met someone making the best of it and having a bit of fun. I'm tired of hearing 'newbies' come to my house and tell me about 'older' sims that have nothing better to do with their time but sit on their lots and bash EA, the devs and everything about TSO.

As for the new 'non-committed' players, I think it's very very disrespectful of 'older' sims to devalue their contributions to TSO and I wish that the people making those comments can remember that at one time in their TSO lives their were newbies too.

I

imported_Shirl1211

Thank you for finding the words to describe exactly how I feel.

I

imported_Shirl1211

I haven't seen anyone turn down help to a new player yet in this game. If a new player ask a question, I see many others offering their help including myself. I have heard alot of Dev bashing by many though. Most of the time its after they have had to wait until after maintenance to be able to play again due to being stuck at a property amongst many other bugs that occur daily in the game. However, most of us are patient knowing that we ARE in a test center.

I

imported_fajjaa

The "non-committed" players should be glad we have the desire to bring topics and questions up before everyone, including the dev. team. Not everyone has the courage to just sit back and be led into the unknown without voicing our concerns.

Does anyone know if the list of video cards is still being expanded upon. I play high graphics shooting games, but cant play tc3-test. That is totally rediculous. Do I need a better video card? _ _ _ _ no.

G

<blockquote><hr>

If I were to quit today, it would have nothing to do with EA games. It would be more like being sick and tired of dealing with players with crappy attitudes.

I'm tired of hearing all the whining and wimpering and bashing and complaining.

If someone doesn't want to play the game, they are not helping EA games at all by continuing to play and run their mouths in game. They aren't happy and they want to be sure no body else is either I guess.

I love it when a 'newbie' sim comes to my house and spends time with me. And I love it when they tell me that for once in their short TSO life they've met someone making the best of it and having a bit of fun. I'm tired of hearing 'newbies' come to my house and tell me about 'older' sims that have nothing better to do with their time but sit on their lots and bash EA, the devs and everything about TSO.

As for the new 'non-committed' players, I think it's very very disrespectful of 'older' sims to devalue their contributions to TSO and I wish that the people making those comments can remember that at one time in their TSO lives their were newbies too.

[/ QUOTE ]

*Applauds* Thanks Dutch thats my thoughts exactly.

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly the point I am making, DA. You are a so-called loyal customer, and, as such, find it within your scope to reach out and effectively market to the new players. Not too many new players do outreach. Marketing basics, business basics. Loyal customers create more than their worth in positive advertising. Statistically, something like 110%.

That you are as happy as a pig in clover is good news for EA. The trick is for a business to optimize that effect across their customer base, and not rely only on those who have "blind" loyalty.

If by any chance you were taking a gibe at me for being a player who grouches about the devs or the game to newbies, you can forget it. I don't think I have ever made a disparaging remark in game chat, nor do I ever sit at my lot and complain. I am out finding what fun the game has to offer. Just because I voice concerns and opinions you may find "negative" in this forum, does not mean I make it a way of life, or, "sim life." In fact, I've not heard any negative comments in room chat from even the most outspoken "complainers" from these boards. My experience is that those who have negative views to air here are the most devout and fun TSO players.

Contrary to your experience, the bulk of negative comments and game bashing I hear in game chat are from newbies who are unhappy with the game mechanics, and who don't know about these boards or the devs.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Since you are a mod, albeit a long time TSO player, it is one thing for you to denigrate customer loyalty. I would hope that EA is not so cavalier, although at this point I am not so sure your attitude misses the mark.

One of the basic tenets of business is that maintaining loyal customers is the golden key.

Any basic business text will tell you that loyal customers spend a third more than new customers, and that referrals are 110% higher from long time, loyal customers. Any company that neglects its loyal customer base will fail.

We have been told that we, the current subscribers, are needed to market the game. EA will be saving marketing dollars if we do the advertising for them. To do this, they darn well better look to the bottom line of keeping us "loyals" satisfied. Indifference and insincerity are not long tolerated by customers, and EA -- not just TSO -- has been repeatedly criticized for these qualities (or lack thereof).

EA needs to reach out and grow a larger subscriber base if this game is going to continue. However, putting loyal customers first should be a priority, especially since EA is expecting US to help grow the subscriber base.

I'm more than a smidge offended by having my loyalty to this game sneered at by you. I hope those on the true business side of this endeavor feel differently.

[/ QUOTE ]

Calling for a reality check, and discussing the hard numbers, in the face of puffed-up hyperbole, is not even in the same category, as 'denigrating customer loyalty'.

It is totally about the numbers, because 9k was not enough to keep this game going......no matter how loyal they were, no matter how many account they had, no matter how passionate about the game, they are...the numbers were, and still are not sufficient. And all the drama in the world, about 'loyalty' will not change the math.

The biggest business tenet of all, way above and beyond 'loyal customers', is the bottom line and the whole point of this game for EA....profit....if there is no profit, then 'loyalty' is a completely meaningless issue.

And the bottom line on this debate, is that customer loyalty to the old game, was not enough to save it, because the numbers just were not there, and have not been, since 2005. There were just too few customers for the old game....it died. Now there is a new game, built from the bones of the old, trying for new customers and it can not be held back by nostalgic rants and demands to return to the 'good old days' or our last chance to have anything of our game remain, will also die.

On a personal note:
I have not 'sneered' at anyone's loyalty, only pointed out that loyalty was not enough, then or now, to keep this game alive in any form.

But I am a bit more than disgusted, that every time someone in City Hall, does not like my comments as a poster/player, they haul out the "Mod card" and try to belittle me and my comments, with it.

I have posted in City Hall (and it's equivalent on the old Maxis boards) almost exclusively since beta: talking, debating, laughing and crying with everyone else. The fact that I took it a step further and volunteered to help maintain the site for everyone's benefit, is not a badge of shame, and it is an utterly cheap shot and despicable trick, to try to make it one.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

I'm not 'jibing' at any specific person in this thread.

Though I've witnessed the slamming, bashing, nastiness where people are just getting their willies by slamming everything about EA and the developers.

(Sometimes I feel sorry for these people because not only do they really make themselves look rather ugly while they are doing it but they also embarrass their guests because new people don't know what to say when they hear these hoity toity rantings.)

However, like I said before, if a player is SOOOO unhappy with the game, they may not be doing EA any favors by hanging around.

Because that one big mouth in the game can turn off a lot of newbies who may not be committed to the game. Not only can they drive away newbies but they can also drive away the long time players too. I personally will log off and go elsewhere if there isn't any place to hang out in TC3 where I can't escape from the incessant complaining.

When I get home from work and I want to relax....I don't need to log into a game just to listen to a bunch of complaining and nagging!

G

Being a mod should not give you or anyone else the right to belittle posters who do not agree with you, but I see it all the time in the way many of us are replied to.

It is not helping build community.

There is a huge wedge in this community now, hatred and disgust, where once there was respect. This new game they are creating has driven that wedge in very deeply.

We need to remember that there is one thing we all have in common, that is the love of our game. We are a passionate group who post here. We should be able to post our opinions without getting jumped on and told we are WRONG! If you don't agree, that is fine, post how you feel about it, but don't tell me I'm wrong for feeling the way I do.

G

I have never told anyone they were wrong for their *feelings*, only their facts.

And I am just as entitled to disagree with anyone over anything, as you are, including feelings, as you are so happy to do, with anyone who does not *feel* betrayed and doomed, as you apparently do. Bringing my badge into it is just a cop out.