• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Parry] Self Repair 5 and shields?

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
How does Self Repair work?

I have 2 x Self Repair 5 shields that I have been using to train parrying on sheep. I thought that would be sufficient, but as the sheep got stronger, they thrashed those shields. I thought the shields would keep repairing, but the repair isn't keeping up with the durability damage from the sheep. I need to have a smith repair both of them before I head back and try to finish the last 15 points from 100 to 115 (my scrolled max). I probably should grab some more shields too just in case as this rate.

Thanks for your insight!

-OBSIDIAN-

Kellgory

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The problem is that your taking in damage faster than the shields can self repair. I take it that you have bushido on that char.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
No bushido. I removed that via soulstone before I started training parry.

I ended up buying a stash of npc bucklers and used each until they broke. I hit 115 last night. I still don't quite understand how self repair works. At SR5 is it a chance to increase durability by 5 for every hit on that armor/shild item? If so, what is the percent chance per hit to self repair. There seems to be something with the hit rate over time. I was getting hit many many times very quickly.

Anyone have any more insight? Thanks!

-OBSIDIAN-

A

Ash

My understanding of how Self Repair works is it will only trigger every 60 seconds. So a Self Repair 5 will repair 5 pts of damage once a minute. So if you are taking more damage in a minute than it can repair, then it will slowly reach 0.

Kellgory

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you don't have bushido, I would throw away the shields and use a weapon that you don't have any skill. It works very well for elf chars. I like using the covorting club for non macers, or two handed weapons that I purchased from the NPC.

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you are training Parry without Bushido, you shouldn't even be using a shield.

Parry gaining is difficulty based. The less chance you have to parry, the higher your chance to gain, so since it is harder to parry with a shield, you have more of a chance to gain without one.

K

Kula

I believe you can equip items without durability and they should lower the amount of durability hits you take to the shield. I remember reading about this on a FoF, they mentioned how durability damage is assigned, and part of the calculation included stuff like Quivers, maybe even sashes. I never tested it, but it's worth a try at least :)