• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(RP) Seeking Written Lore: Location Of Libraries & Books etc

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hello there all;

Announcing the formation of the Castle Moo'gna Lore Library;

Some of you may recall it from when I lived behind Empath Abbey, but now I have another 3000 lockdowns to play with, I'd like to expand it much further, and maintain as much Europa written lore as possible.

To that end, I'd like you all to post locations of player libraries you know of, locations of books that have content within them (Such as Yew Jails, specific bookshelves) and anything else that I can copy down. I know about Jurel's bags in Minoc Town Hall, that's the first task (once I've set every book I already have to Public... having to do them one by one is HELLISH) but you can also leave books found in IDOCs in the postbox please!

And to the EMs, if you're reading this, if you've copies of your own past lore, please consider donating too! Or better yet... if you can write a short précis post-event, I'll make sure they are saved and available for public perusal!

Next door is THP's massive rare museum. It may soon be gone though, so do pop round and explore it before it's sold :( I have a few small samples on display myself too, but so much more decorating to do yet! The Room of Moo is now the Tower of Moo at least!

Heimi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Note that you can't copy locked down books from libraries, be prepared for a lot of transcription :D

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Note that you can't copy locked down books from libraries, be prepared for a lot of transcription :D
Ahah, but Pinco's UI puts a text copy of any book you open into the "Logs" folder, so if I can read it, I can quickly copy them!

There is however a new bug I've just discovered and need to report; You can't set individual security in a locked down Wooden Shelf without switching to Classic gumps, boo...

Heimi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are EC books fixed then or can you copy/paste from the logs into classic client?

I have a small library so hopefully we can exchange collections :)

EM Emile Layne

UO Event Moderator
UO Event Moderator
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And to the EMs, if you're reading this, if you've copies of your own past lore, please consider donating too! Or better yet... if you can write a short précis post-event, I'll make sure they are saved and available for public perusal!
I have a container with books from previous events, some dating back to 2009. If you want I can lock them at the wedding house, so you can copy them. The books aren't organized in any way though, so you'd have to sort through them yourself.

Heimi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have a container with books from previous events, some dating back to 2009. If you want I can lock them at the wedding house, so you can copy them. The books aren't organized in any way though, so you'd have to sort through them yourself.
Yes please!

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes please!
I'll get Nimauq onto it too, and we'll try and sort out some sort of time line!

As for you Risso, EC books are still very screwy, they don't copy and paste more than a page at once, and then they duplicate the last two valid pages visually the same two pages through the entire book (although the pages are actually blank; it's almost as if it thinks pages are transparent now)... however using Inscription will now duplicate them exactly if you can hold them, and with the Pinco you at least get a valid text file from any you read, so you can keep fiddling with them until you get the copy of the text back in (but not the writer name alas)

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Also, could anyone who knows Pad O'Lion and the Spiritwood library in Felucca PM me here please?

callum_fitzhugh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Also, could anyone who knows Pad O'Lion and the Spiritwood library in Felucca PM me here please?
Ahh I remember it well. Not sure I have access to it though. There is also my library in Malas, I have a rune to Muldran Skully's called Vinyamar and rune to Naeloth Library as well. I will look through my rune books and see what other really old places are still standing. There was a library in Deepwater as well. I will login later and see what I can find for you.

Callum

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ahh I remember it well. Not sure I have access to it though. There is also my library in Malas, I have a rune to Muldran Skully's called Vinyamar and rune to Naeloth Library as well. I will look through my rune books and see what other really old places are still standing. There was a library in Deepwater as well. I will login later and see what I can find for you.

Callum
Thanks; you can't sadly copy player books that are locked down, so I've been hosting runes to the libraries I find for now... Drop them off if you'd be so kind, and I'll host what ever you find too!

If anyone does know Pad, please let him know that someone's gone through and deleted any book they could find which hasn't been sealed with the same message over and over :( There's a few he missed, as I sat reading for a while, so he can still save some of his lore. Just a shame that there's half wits out there who can't create themselves, so they have to destroy other people's work...

callum_fitzhugh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thats the reason my house has been private for so long - lack of red leaves.

Sadly just checked and my runebook "The Library Way" is now near useless - Vinyamar [Muldrans] and Naeloth LIbraries have both fallen, as has Revelstone, Tel Mar library, The Path of the Ways ...

Happily the secret Tremere houses are still standing in Felucca so I can only hope Garod and Aly banked their books in them. I will check out Dreamstone in Felucca this week sometime - also Adol basically where is your library please? Some instructions for a noob if you please =)

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thats the reason my house has been private for so long - lack of red leaves.

Sadly just checked and my runebook "The Library Way" is now near useless - Vinyamar [Muldrans] and Naeloth LIbraries have both fallen, as has Revelstone, Tel Mar library, The Path of the Ways ...

Happily the secret Tremere houses are still standing in Felucca so I can only hope Garod and Aly banked their books in them. I will check out Dreamstone in Felucca this week sometime - also Adol basically where is your library please? Some instructions for a noob if you please =)
Map in the first thread, but it's just SW of the Fens of the Dead (swamp north east of Britain) in Trammel. Castle next to THP's huge rare museum... and thanks ;) Hopefully I can keep some of the game's player history alive myself for a while longer! And if you need red leaves, I've about 700, I've been growing them for the flood of books I was hoping for!

Aurelius

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And if you need red leaves, I've about 700, I've been growing them for the flood of books I was hoping for!
Rather than you use up the ones you will need for your library, I'll drop a few hundred more off in your mail ;)

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Sorry to ressurect an old thread, but I'm currently visiting Europa from Chessie. I'm putting together a large library, and trying to include a copy of any player or event books from every shard. Would any of the library owners here be willing to make copies that I could then transfer back to Chessie?

Thanks,
Brian

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't have the time alas over this weekend to copy my hundreds of books, but there is a work around. If you have the Enhanced Client and use the Pinco UI, it will make a text copy of any book in your Logs folder. You won't be able to copy the author name back to a book alas, but you will be able to copy the main text at least. Otherwise if you pop by my library above and make a note of the books you absolutely want for sure, I may be able to pop in later in the week and copy a sample... but no promises I'm afraid, it's a huge amount of work to unlock them, copy, restore them and reset the security for each one

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
I completely understand. :) I've had no luck getting linux to like Pinco's, but I'll have to see if I can get it running on my Windows laptop - and copy/paste doesn't use up an item slot for the transfer. :D Glad to hear that your library is still there - too many threads like this one, the libraries no longer exist.

Brian

PS, a side note... You mentioned the author problem... I don't know when it changed, because I remember when you couldn't, but the author now can be edited - just click over in that area to edit that text.

Last edited:

Kas Valentine

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There was a library in Deepwater as well.
Indeed, there IS a library in Deepwater, just in the process of patching my vastly out of date client to check up on it.

/thumbs up

Kas Valentine

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've popped my head in and all is well. The doors are unlocked and visitors have free access to the bookshelves on the second floor. I hope you find something interesting !

callum_fitzhugh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Kas
I've popped my head in and all is well. The doors are unlocked and visitors have free access to the bookshelves on the second floor. I hope you find something interesting !
Kas can you remind me where Deepwater is? Its been about four/five years since I last visited =/

Not even sure I have runes to the old Felucca libraries anymore either - will pop in to UO at the weekend and check!

Last edited:

Kas Valentine

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No bother Callum, I've attached a sketch to help you out !

The red blotch within the circle is the library, apart from that very few original buildings remain. S'the tavern to the west and the office of the peacekeepers north of that, but s'all.

callum_fitzhugh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No bother Callum, I've attached a sketch to help you out !

The red blotch within the circle is the library, apart from that very few original buildings remain. S'the tavern to the west and the office of the peacekeepers north of that, but s'all.

Kas - went looking for your library again but the map has disappeared!

Also do you remember where Dreamstone was?

Kas Valentine

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So is the map not attached then...? I can see it in your quote of my message.

But aye, I popped in on Dreamstone just the other day. If you can see the map, Dreamstone is in the clearing just NW of the S in 'Solen Hive'.

As far as I can tell only one original building remains. An L-shaped two storey owned by the former mayor, Ailsa of Marlit.