• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Suggestion] Scroll lock

W

Wolfways

I'd really like the ability to lock the screen so that it's at the same "zoom" level as 2D.
Although i prefer having the game window zoomed out a bit it's kinda pointless and makes it hard to know when you're in range of something.
In the past few days i've spoken to others when they can't see me, and constantly cast spells on things and tell pets to attack stuff that's too far away.

O

Old Man of UO

I'd really like the ability to lock the screen so that it's at the same "zoom" level as 2D.
Although i prefer having the game window zoomed out a bit it's kinda pointless and makes it hard to know when you're in range of something.
In the past few days i've spoken to others when they can't see me, and constantly cast spells on things and tell pets to attack stuff that's too far away.
Kinda pointless? Zoom out is one of the best features of the new client! I can see if a stealable is present with my dungeon thief that you can't see at all with the default zoom level of the 2D client. I zoom all the way out with my tamer to find a cu sidhe to tame, then zoom in to make the lead taming easier. With my melee characters, I use the zoom to grab monster tags while the monster is out of range. I can think of several other ways I use it, but those are good examples. Hardly useless.

Still, I would like to have a hot-key to set to my favorite default zooms. Until then, it's really not that hard with a bit of playing to discover what is really out of range.

W

Wolfways

I zoom all the way out with my tamer to find a cu sidhe to tame, then zoom in to make the lead taming easier. With my melee characters, I use the zoom to grab monster tags while the monster is out of range.
Well i'd like to know how you do that as even when you're zoomed out mobs don't show until they are within the screen range that you get in 2D.

O

Old Man of UO

Well i'd like to know how you do that as even when you're zoomed out mobs don't show until they are within the screen range that you get in 2D.
I'm not sure why you can't, but I can zoom all the way out and still grab object handles. I use this to look for the little statue that spawns in the Tokuno mines without having to run all the way in. It does zoom just beyond what you can see monsters and object handles, but still far enough away that critters can't target/aggro you.

W

Wolfways

Oh you mean you use Ctrl+shift to see mobs?
I thought you meant you actually see the mob itself. I've never tried Ctrl+shift to find things, but then again i wouldn't. I'd rather see the mob, but that's just personal preference.

O

Old Man of UO

Oh you mean you use Ctrl+shift to see mobs?
I thought you meant you actually see the mob itself. I've never tried Ctrl+shift to find things, but then again i wouldn't. I'd rather see the mob, but that's just personal preference.
I meant both... you can't bring up object handles of things you can't see. I haven't marked off how far you can see a mob though.

W

Wolfways

I remember reading that it was the same range as 2D to avoid SA users having an advantage.

O

Old Man of UO

I remember reading that it was the same range as 2D to avoid SA users having an advantage.
That may be, but it would have been off screen in 2D. It's 20 steps range to pick up object handles and to see the mobs.