• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Sarsmi my comp is dead again

Voluptuous

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ok...day two after getting my comp looked at and fixed by a tech dude (missing audio drivers and all sorts of lovely xp stuff)

it started shutting down and restarting again...oh oh...and now yup it worked itself to a loop of restartin/shutting down glorified paperweight.

and of course paid for version of AVG found squat. In fact its firewall started blocking all upon restarting.

So i'm at the house I'm cat-watching for just to let you know i'm not gonna be around again for another week. Thank god I managed to restock a little before this happened again!

Cadsuane Sedai

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
mine did that i kept hitting the power button til it started back up with the option of starting from my last good configuration.

Voluptuous

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
oh if only i could. I can click on last good config, or safe mode...nuttin happens, all it does is stop the second counter and freezes it up. If a tech guy can find no viruses, yet stuff like your audio drivers go missing and whatnot...I'm pretty much doomed aren't I?

All I ever used comp for this past 2 weeks is ICQ, Stratics, and UO. Heck I didn't even check my hotmail.

and ya...this happened last year around the same time and i had them gut my comp and got new motherboard, etc.

Shoulda just bought a new comp I guess...woulda been cheaper (but loved my old vintage brushed aluminum case) sigh. NEXT TIME I'M GOING MAC!

SuperKen

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Perhaps something on the motherboard fried due to poor ventilation? You mentioned that this happened around the same time last year, it could be the summer heat coupled with poor ventilation from an older case.

If it isn't that, I suppose you can check your harddrives, and do a reformat. Seeing as how you don't use your computer for much, it shouldn't take too long to reinstall UO, ICQ, and an internet browser.

It doesn't sound like a virus problem but that's only a guess since I don't have all the details.

I'm SK and I'm a PC. (lol, sorry couldn't resist)

If you're going to go with a Mac, you might or might not need the windows emulation program (which I heard is a separate $400 charge) to run some of the Ultima stuff. Macs aren't cheap. And you're going to have to throw out all your clothes (and replace it with hipster stuff), drink lattes constantly, and talk 24/7 about saving the environment. Your choice though. =]

Voluptuous

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I love lattes...less bathroom breaks when you drink a cup of caffine 5 times stronger. lol

The fans were a little dirty but not bad. (learned my lesson when i fried the LAST motherboard lol)

Right now I'm on MY comp. It was froze this morn and lo and behold its ducky now. Might shut off anytime thou...its killing my uo playstyle for sure...don't want to leave the keep or restock big items or do anything that will leave my poor char out there waiting to be picked off by whatever spawns.

UO Relic

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When it goes into rebooting place your hand behind the outside of your computer's power supply (its where the ac cord gets plugged into) should feel air being blown on your hand, if not the fan in your power supply could be the issue and this will cause shutdown/restarts.

If this is not the case and you feel ok to take the panel off the pc check the fan on the cpu (on motherboard) that it is spinning freely.

Sounds like an overheating issue though there are other culprits possible.

23+ years in IT industry :scholar: + :coco:

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dude, you have horrible luck with your comp. I'm just sayin. If the computer dudes can't fix it just get a new one, cause DAMN! It's ridiculous.

Voluptuous

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
heehee oh shush I love this big monster. All fans working...gave it BACK to the tech...he had it like 2 days it did NOTHING for him...was perfect. Now the guy thinks I'm a damn nutbar.

He never had a shutdown, he never found anything about the error messages I was getting (savedump, etc). Played games on it, played music, let it stay on over 24 hours...nuttin.

So yeah...dunno. AVG kept switching itself to block all and nobody knows why, so we took it off to see if thats the prob

Z

Zyron

well my comp did the EXACT same thing, but that is because i just did stupid stuff while my comp was doin important things.. Like i shut my computer off while it was powering up,

I shut it off using the button while it was clearing temporary internet files

so yeah..

but all we did was just reformat it and it was good!!!!

I hope you dont have any information because its probably gone!!!

except with mine, mine would go to the blue screen of death whenever i clicked on safe mode ect...

but yeah i know how you feel..

just find youre cd and boot from that.. if you dont know how to reformat, ask the computer guy to do it