• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Sampire untapped resource?

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So I'm musing this morning... since sampires can control lesser hiryus why not get a pack of them together to hunt with? Sampire tanks using physical weapon and chaining onslaught combined with constant grasping claws from the hiryus should give a decent damage bonus. Thoughts?

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
It's the damage reduction of swampy that helps make the sampires unmounted without it really hurts them

gwen

Slightly Crazed
it is really trouble to keep 4*one-slot pets alive. Even one will give you headache.
Mobs are switching targets . In UO there are no ways to aggro mobs on yourself on demand. If pet is on guard -it will run to mobs that are aggressive against owner and mob will switch to your pet.
Only one place where I managed to use one slot lesser hiryu is farming Unbound Energy Vortices. But after some time I just dumped resist spells , got taming and +skill gear to own trained pets. .

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
This idea has been proposed and tested in the past but no one has ever been successful with it, largely for the reasons Gwen described surrounding the difficulty of keeping pets alive. Would love to see someone do it successfully and share their methods.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Or use a vollum with battle defense so it can use bodyguard when you are fighting. 50% less damage for the player.

efreetia

Visitor
This idea has been proposed and tested in the past but no one has ever been successful with it, largely for the reasons Gwen described surrounding the difficulty of keeping pets alive. Would love to see someone do it successfully and share their methods.
Based on the difficulty of pet survival, I chose to become a Tamer-Warrior. With Taming skill at 115 and Animal Lore at 110, I ensure sufficient control over fifth-order and fourth-order pets. Additionally, I have skills in Necromancy, Swordsmanship, Tactics, and Anatomy. As for my final skill, I initially chose Bushido, but recently tried switching to Spirit Speak (due to cursed weapons).

This unique warrior carries a fifth-order pet with Bodyguard or a fourth-order pet with Bodyguard, along with a Swamp Dragon, to gain an additional 20% damage reduction.

The second skill of the pet focuses on debuffs, completely sacrificing the pet's DPS. All training points are invested in high health, resistance, buff skills, and debuff skills, making it a complete support pet. Meanwhile, the owner maintains a damage output of over 80% of a warrior's, resembling a tank even more with the added damage reduction buffs.

In most combat scenarios, regular warriors still have the advantage. However, some special creatures like Gold Baron Tamer-Warrior demonstrate more stability compared to conventional warriors (when not accompanied by a Bard or other support).

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My Sampires use a 120 Disco+AP Vollem when farming certain mobs. The 120 Disco reduces the victim's Resists by -28 (-14 against 160 Barding Difficulty) and skills by -28% (-14% against 160 Barding Difficulty). Once the Vollem lands Disco, he'll use his Mana for Armor Pierce (+10% Damage Taken debuff for 3 secs to the victim) and Dragon Breath once every 18 seconds.
My Sampires can use Knight of Humility to boost the Vollem's HPR by 30 for 20 mins, to help with it's survivability against AoE. I stand directly on top of the foe, to keep it focused on me and not on the Vollem.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
How did you go about training the Vollem's Disco to 120? Did you let it happen naturally while using it?
I used one of my Tamers to level the Vollem once, took it to the Acid Slug Pit in the Underworld, ran Consume Damage on it and set it to Guard mode, then let it kill Acid Slugs as i used Whispering every 30 mins. I didn't put Armor Pierce on it, until it reached 120 Discord skill. Took several days of training it in the Acid Slug Pit to hit 120 Discord.