• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Sampire Suit Question

J

jgruberman

I'm working on custom building a perfect Sampire suit and I wanted a quick synopsis of the current build. I'm not worried about price, so here's what I have:

http://i56.***********/sv555e.jpg

Some might say I take too much time, but I find that if I do the research and planning ahead of time, it saves me money in the long run and I don't buy crap that I don't need.

Recommendations/comments/suggestions? Thanks!

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
It looks really awesome! Except, will you have enough fire resist after casting vampiric embrace (-25 fire)?

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would also change the back to the ranger's cloak of augmentation (5% SSI).
+int boots
Mace and shield glasses

Then imbue all of your weapons to make up for the DI lost from no crown.

And I'm presuming that you have a no-parry template, since you're using a shield. Otherwise you'd have to lose the shield.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I think that he was planning to use healing, but I could be wrong. If you do lose the shield, though, you'd be able to chug pots.

J

jgruberman

He's right, I was going to use healing instead of parry. Forgive the question, but is it okay to use the shield? I've been off the game for 5 years and forgot a lot of the mechanics.

Also, why use glasses instead of what I have? Let me know your way of thinking so I can learn something perhaps new that I'm forgetting or don't know :)

Thanks for the feedback so far... Appreciate it!!

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
The primary advantage afforded by M&S glasses is the 30 hit lower defense, which makes your enemies easier to hit. It also has decent resists and some str/dex.

Yes, it's ok to use a shield. It shouldn't change anything.

J

jgruberman

Okay well it's nice you explained it simply like that. Some of these mods are a little confusing, but that helps. Would it be a huge problem if I used mace and shield and left my DI at 88 rather than being capped at 100, or is that 12 DI lost crucial?

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Well, you have two options. Either you can keep your current head piece and imbue 30 hld on your weapon (78 imbuing weight), or you can use M&S and imbue 12 di on your weapon (24 imbuing weight). Personally, I choose the latter, but other folks might disagree with me.

J

jgruberman

Okay, that makes sense. Well as much sense as it can with me being new to all of imbuing. But I understand the concept of what you're saying. Can I imbue the Soul Seeker though? Not sure what imbuing restrictions there are and what you can/cant, etc.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
You can't imbue artifacts, such as the soul seeker, but you will need other weapons besides the soul seeker. The soul seeker is excellent for pwning reponds (trogs, ogres, ratmen, etc.), but there are a lot of non-repond creatures (undead, reptile, arachnid, etc.). Eventually, you'll want to get some imbued radiant scimitars.

J

jgruberman

What kind of mods will I need to have imbued on a non artifact weapon that I get?

At least I can use the Soul Seeker on Ogre Lords for practicing general sampire tactics before I solo a boss...

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Well, if you go with M&S, you'll want 12 di. Next, you will need to determine if you need any ssi to swing at 1.25 seconds, based on your final stamina amount and suit ssi. After di and ssi, you'll want to add as much hit mana leech as possible, followed by as much hit stamina leech as possible. Di, ssi, hml, and hsl are the most basic requirements. If there is still room on the weapon, add hit lower attack for general enemies or a slayer for specific enemies.

J

jgruberman

Gotcha. That all makes sense. But as a general "starter template", just to get into the swing of things and playing a Sampire, the above listed suit is decent for start?

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Provided you can make up for the -25 fire resist caused by vamp form, it's better than a decent starter suit. A decent starter suit would have mid-60s resists, 45 dci, 60 di, and hopefully some hci, lmc, and mr.

J

jgruberman

Gotcha, I specifically picked pieces that got me right to 70 resists... I'll take the -25 fire into account for vamp form. :)

J

jgruberman

Here's the newly modified suit... I think it will work better... you agree? (Ignore the colors for cost.. thats for me to know what shard to buy the piece from)

http://i51.***********/2njdmph.jpg

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Looks better than mine, tbh. What's your dex and stamina?

J

jgruberman

None yet. I haven't even started the char. lol I like to plan the suit ahead since the pieces may change in availability. I was planning to max out Dex

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
With 140 dex and 10 ssi, you should be able to apply bandages at max speed and swing a radiant scimitar at max speed, I think. Someone check my math.

Madrid

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nice spreadsheet...where do I get a copy!?:)

I wouldn't go with the Gladiator's Collar yeah it has great resists but it's lacking in properties (Stamina Increase, Hit Point Increase, Lower Mana Cost). Your giving up alot by putting it on.

Also if you have Parry + Bushido you don't want a shield. I like woodland gorgets and Fey Leggings for my Sampire templates.

What kind of LMC are you running? There are some numbskulls here on stratics who think LMC isn't required on a Sampire tempate and that Mana Leech is enough. I guarantee you there are 2 spawns you won't be able to solo without some LMC.

Speaking strictly within PvM with lightning strike you should be fine hovering at 30 HCI. Too much emphasis is placed here on stratics on maxing out HCI to 45. I've walked around with 30 HCI on a grade B suit for well over a year now and haven't come across anything I couldn't handle once I sunk my teeth into it. Lightning strike will boost your HCI up to 45 against the top 160's when you need it.

DCI you'll want 45 for sure.

Looks good so far!

J

jgruberman

Nice spreadsheet...where do I get a copy!?:)

I wouldn't go with the Gladiator's Collar yeah it has great resists but it's lacking in properties (Stamina Increase, Hit Point Increase, Lower Mana Cost). Your giving up alot by putting it on.

Also if you have Parry + Bushido you don't want a shield. I like woodland gorgets and Fey Leggings for my Sampire templates.

What kind of LMC are you running? There are some numbskulls here on stratics who think LMC isn't required on a Sampire tempate and that Mana Leech is enough. I guarantee you there are 2 spawns you won't be able to solo without some LMC.

Speaking strictly within PvM with lightning strike you should be fine hovering at 30 HCI. Too much emphasis is placed here on stratics on maxing out HCI to 45. I've walked around with 30 HCI on a grade B suit for well over a year now and haven't come across anything I couldn't handle once I sunk my teeth into it. Lightning strike will boost your HCI up to 45 against the top 160's when you need it.

DCI you'll want 45 for sure.

Looks good so far!
Thanks for the feedback... I really love learning new things about a template that looks promising. Well I already bought the Collar, but if you could suggest something different, would you just suggest a woodland piece with better DI?

Thunderz

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You'd be better off placing Madrid on ignore.
I second this. Read some of the threads he has partisapated in and you will understand why everyone here who knows anything ignores him ;)

Thunderz

Madrid

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the feedback... I really love learning new things about a template that looks promising. Well I already bought the Collar, but if you could suggest something different, would you just suggest a woodland piece with better DI?
I personally go with the Woodland gorget because of the DI and the option to throw on Stamina Increase, Hit Point Increase, Mana Increase, Lower Mana Cost or whatever mod you may be comfortable with.

Jgruberman many of the Stratics Warrior Forum members give out some very bad advice in my opinion with the exception of a few members. I've called them out on it which is why there isn't much love for me here on the warrior forum. There's about a handful of members on the Warrior Forum that know in depth of what they're talking about and Lynk, Ender and Thunderz aren't among them.

StupidMiner and Lord God are some of the members who offer up good advice and have a solid understanding of the game mechanics.

Best advice is I can give you is to test things out and see what works best for you. After some testing you'll find out what you like and what you don't like.

So far your suit looks good and your on the right track. Best of luck to you!:thumbsup:

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I'm going to disagree, in part, with everyone above. StupidMiner and Lord God have excellent advice, but Lynk and Thunderz do as well. Regarding Madrid, I haven't had much interaction with him on forums, but I agree with his assessment that lmc, si, and hpi are desirable mods for a sampire. What he said about lightning strike making up for hci is also exactly right.

Frankly, there are lots of very good, albeit disparate opinions on Stratics. This is because the flexibility that UO allows vis-a-vis templates and armor allows each player to build a character/suit to their unique gaming style. As I mentioned, I prefer to play with anatomy and healing instead of parry, but one of my UO heroes swears by healing and parry (no anatomy). You'll have to decide what works best for you.

Meanwhile, if we could dispense with the personal attacks in the thread . . .

J

jgruberman

Yeah, I respect everyone's opinion.. but not to be rude/ungrateful, but take your insults to private message. I think this is a great thread with a TON of useful info, and I'd hate to litter it with paltry bickering. Again, no offense meant to anyone, I'm really grateful for all the returning player advice.

Madrid

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
With 140 dex and 10 ssi, you should be able to apply bandages at max speed and swing a radiant scimitar at max speed, I think. Someone check my math.
Keep in mind Stamina works in intervals of 30 in relation to swing speed. Having 179 Stamina provides the same benefit as having 150.

The knuckleheads have a pretty good SSI Calculator on their Forum for anyone who hasn't checked it out : Knuckleheads.dk • SSI Calc

Now about that spreadsheet Jgruberman! Where can I get that? Is that something someone has posted around here that's available to all or is that someone you put together yourself?

J

jgruberman

Keep in mind Stamina works in intervals of 30 in relation to swing speed. Having 179 Stamina provides the same benefit as having 150.

The knuckleheads have a pretty good SSI Calculator on their Forum for anyone who hasn't checked it out : Knuckleheads.dk • SSI Calc

Now about that spreadsheet Jgruberman! Where can I get that? Is that something someone has posted around here that's available to all or is that someone you put together yourself?
I made it myself. Why?

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Yes, I know. As noted above, he is planning to use radiant scimitars and he has 10% ssi on his suit. Accordingly, he only needs 120 stamina to swing at maximum swing speed. I suggested 140 dexterity, because this will allow for maximum bandage application speed.

Kellgory

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is also the conjurer's robe that has DCI 5 and MR 2 (some have 140 luck as well) that might help you more than the +4 fire that the acid proof robe provides. Not sure about wearing the conjurer's trinket all the time either since wouldn't that cause you to take double damage when fighting reponds? Also noticed that you don't have an apron slot listed which could be filled by either a Crimson Cinture (dex 5, HP increase 10, HPR 2) or a Tangle (int 10, MR 2, DCI 5).

J

jgruberman

I actually got Crimmy too. I just forgot to include that on my list.

I'd take double damage using Conjurers?

Kellgory

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I actually got Crimmy too. I just forgot to include that on my list.

I'd take double damage using Conjurers?
I know on PVP if a mage sees someone wearing a conjurers trinket they will go into orc form and it's pretty much the end of story for the other person, so I would assume that it's the same for PVM. I only have two of those talismans and one of them is blessed and is sitting in a chest unused and the other is in a bank box somewhere so I haven't really tested it for PVM. Normally I just use the Primer of Arms.

hungry4knowhow

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I was just informed by my guildies tonight that, yes a conjurers trinket will cause you to take double damage against reponds.

I'm building my suit for sampire, and they all jumped on me when I mentioned that. They told me to get a primer of arms instead.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I was just informed by my guildies tonight that, yes a conjurers trinket will cause you to take double damage against reponds.

I'm building my suit for sampire, and they all jumped on me when I mentioned that. They told me to get a primer of arms instead.
This is very true. I carry both: primer on arms for repond, conjurer's trinket for everything else.

J

Jartan

Is it really a good idea to go with such a low stam setup? I'm somewhat newb at this but doesn't relying on such high SSI weapons really kill your mana leech?

Doing that then not having much LMC either sounds pretty iffy. I'd rather have ~200 stam and 5ssi from a turqoise ring. That'll let you swing even a 3s at 1.25.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Is it really a good idea to go with such a low stam setup? I'm somewhat newb at this but doesn't relying on such high SSI weapons really kill your mana leech?

Doing that then not having much LMC either sounds pretty iffy. I'd rather have ~200 stam and 5ssi from a turqoise ring. That'll let you swing even a 3s at 1.25.
200 stam? How are you getting your stamina that high?

I've done the calculation for him above. Radiant scimitars have a base swing speed of 2.5. To achieve a max swing speed of 1.25 seconds, he needs either (a) 120 stamina and 5% ssi or (b) 150 stamina. To heal at max speed, he needs 140 dexterity.

J

Jartan

200 stam? How are you getting your stamina that high?
Well my suit is just semi cheap imbued all 70's stuff with no arties so it's actually easier to get stam that high. Basically factions crimmy then throw stam/dex on everything else.

125 dex + 10 (crimmy) + 15 (ring/bracelet) +48 (stam on armor) = 198

You can even skimp on the dex to ring/bracelet if you want to use agility pots. Overall it's probably overkill though and I only mentioned it because with that much it seems you can get 75% mana leech on a bladed staff and swing it at 1.25 for some pretty nasty AI's. Since you don't need SSI on the weapon you can throw your HLD there.

As I said though I'm a bit newb and just curious why nobody goes this angle. Perhaps because LMC is worth far more in the end?

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Well my suit is just semi cheap imbued all 70's stuff with no arties so it's actually easier to get stam that high. Basically factions crimmy then throw stam/dex on everything else.

125 dex + 10 (crimmy) + 15 (ring/bracelet) +48 (stam on armor) = 198

You can even skimp on the dex to ring/bracelet if you want to use agility pots. Overall it's probably overkill though and I only mentioned it because with that much it seems you can get 75% mana leech on a bladed staff and swing it at 1.25 for some pretty nasty AI's. Since you don't need SSI on the weapon you can throw your HLD there.

As I said though I'm a bit newb and just curious why nobody goes this angle. Perhaps because LMC is worth far more in the end?
Hmm. Well, my opinion is as follows.

First, in order to get 48 stamina on armor, you'd need to have all 6 pieces be imbued armor. This means that you would forgo an arty head piece, such as Mace & Shield, and the +20 dci from fey leggings. The arties would be a much better choice.

Second, why use a bladed staff? If you want to chain AIs, use a hatchet. You can swing a hatchet at max swing speed with either (a) 5% ssi and 150 stamina or (b) 180 stamina. Even if you were really devoted to the bladed staff idea, you could achieve max swing speed with 180 stamina and 5% ssi from a ring.

Third, I don't believe that you can imbue hml to 75%.

Finally, I don't think that anyone is arguing for lmc at the exclusion of swing speed. A sampire's most basic priorities should be dci, di, 60s resists, and max swing/healing speed. After that, hci should be considered--maybe not max, but as much as possible. Next, as room allows, lmc and mr should be added. Finally, look to hpi, hpr, etc.

J

Jartan

This means that you would forgo an arty head piece, such as Mace & Shield, and the +20 dci from fey leggings. The arties would be a much better choice.
It's 198 stam you can easily give up a piece and still have 190. I think you misunderstood my point though. I wasn't actually advocating you have to go that high. I was mostly wondering why people don't avoid SSI on a weapon. It's not needed and ruins your leech intensity.

Second, why use a bladed staff? Third, I don't believe that you can imbue hml to 75%.
You can. You can get it all the way up to 100% on a slow weapon like a halberd. It'll say "50%" in the imbue window but it'll actually come out at full leech as detailed in the leech chart:

Hit Mana Leech - UOGuide, the Ultima Online encyclopedia
Hit Life Leech - UOGuide, the Ultima Online encyclopedia

A hatchet would be 68%. As for why I don't use them I simply don't like them. It's a perfectly valid alternative though. I can't get M&S yet anyways though so meh.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
It's 198 stam you can easily give up a piece and still have 190. I think you misunderstood my point though. I wasn't actually advocating you have to go that high. I was mostly wondering why people don't avoid SSI on a weapon. It's not needed and ruins your leech intensity.
Stamina affects swing speed in 30-point increments. 198 has the same effect as 180. 209 has the same effect as 180. You'd have to settle on either 150, 180, or figure out some way to reach 210. Source.

J

Jartan

Stamina affects swing speed in 30-point increments. 198 has the same effect as 180. 209 has the same effect as 180. You'd have to settle on either 150, 180, or figure out some way to reach 210. Source.
I guess I don't see what that has to do with my post? I am well aware of how it works. As I said I only have 198 because I'm poor.

Did you even read my post? I quite clearly said I'm not advocating having super high stam. Although having a bit more than the break point seems a good idea to me.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I guess I don't see what that has to do with my post? I am well aware of how it works. As I said I only have 198 because I'm poor.

Did you even read my post? I quite clearly said I'm not advocating having super high stam. Although having a bit more than the break point seems a good idea to me.
I was mostly wondering why people don't avoid SSI on a weapon. It's not needed and ruins your leech intensity.
People do avoid ssi on their weapon, if they are able to accomplish max swing speed without it.

Now, I'm mostly wondering why someone would want ~200 stamina. It's not needed and it ruins your other mod intensities.

J

Jartan

Now, I'm mostly wondering why someone would want ~200 stamina. It's not needed and it ruins your other mod intensities.
I don't know? Did you actually see someone who said they wanted 200 stamina?

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Way to take it out of context? Just because I'd rather have 200 stam and 5 ssi than a crappy arties suit with soul seeker doesn't mean I said it was the goal.
Ok, I respect that that is your opinion. It's not very good advice for someone with the OP's resources, in my opinion, because it does not take into account many other important mods. However, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

J

Jartan

Ok, I respect that that is your opinion. It's not very good advice for someone with the OP's resources,
You're making me want to rip my hair out. I made it so clear that it was never advice. I even called myself a newb and made it a question. How naive of me to think that I could avoid such confusion.

Cirno

Purple Pony Princess
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If it was a question, would the better response not have been to thank him for the answer, but add clarification that the it did not answer the question?
The tendency to fly off the handle on the internet does not lend itself overly to civil discourse. By that I mean to say, respectfully, that your responses to Syrus' attempts to answer your question were overly confrontational.