• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Sadya Feast for New Year!

virtualhabitat

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So, my wife is from Kerala, India (that's near the bottom tip on the West coast). This year we had a Sadya feast for New Years.

In Kerala the feast is traditionally prepared by Brahmin cooks, but since we don't know any Brahmin cooks in Texas my wife had to do it.

Here is the table setting: Note that there is a large area on the banana leaf with nothing there. The rice will go there, but is not served until everyone is seated at the table.

From left to right on the close up pic - banana, papadom, banana chips under the papadom, (going upwards) three different pickles, mango, lime and gooseberry. Fried chilli, potato stew, cabbage thoran, okra mezhukupuratti and finally, aval. In the glass, sambaram and in the steel glass rasam. Rice served onto the leaf after everyone was seated with sambar, paripa, ghee and pullisherry toppings. Ada prathaman for dessert.

The cabbage thoran was particularly delicious with a little mango pickle!
The paripa was poured over the rice and drizzled with a little ghee. MMMM!

Kolka

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Patron
My wife is from Vietnam, and they don't celebrate New Years until some time in February (most years), but as it happens we are spending the holidays in Puerto Rico visiting some Chinese friends. So here is my contribution: The Chinese/Vietnamese/Puerto Rican New Year Feast (I'm sure that's a thing) -
new years pr 2015 064.JPG

It consists of several different preparations of beef, rice noodles, various fruits and vegetables (many of which i grow on my roof) rolled up in rice paper, then dipped in a variety of sauces. I would call these spring rolls, but not within earshot of my wife.

The beef: ground beef wrapped in lá lốt leaves and grilled; prime rib marinated in anchovy paste and sauteed in butter; prime rib boiled with vinegar, lemon grass and Makrut lime; flank steak marinated in a plum sauce and grilled.

The vegetables: pickled carrots and daikon; lettuce; culantro; basil; cilantro; cucumbers; and star fruit.

The sauces are fish sauce and an anchovy peanut sauce.

It is pretty much build your own and there is no wrong way to do it - you throw a bunch of ingredients together, roll it up and go.

Last edited: