• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

SA ? will KR users need a full/new install

A

AesSedai

UPDATE:

These questions were answered in Friday March 6th FoF -link:

Will KR users have to do a completely new installation for the new client?
- Yes, but there is more so go read it.

Will we be able to transfer our macros to the SA client?
- No for now, but there is more so go read it (might even be able to do a little user workaround in the beginning with existing KR macros... but I'm not positive about that either).

---

- Just wondering about it.

Will KR users have to do a completely new installation of SA?
(I'm thinking this is likely to be the case, but just not sure.)

If not, will our hot bars and macros be able to transfer over with a few copy and pastes, or will it be a whole new thing?

(I started thinking about fully setting up all of my hotbars and such on all of my characters... but I may hold off on that if it won't be transferable...)

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would like to see a macro-bar management system that allowed you to define groups/bars of macros that could be quickly load/edit across multiple characters.

IanJames

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, if it's not an automatic transfer, I'm hoping we can just copy/paste them from the text file into the new client.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can't find a reference at the moment, but I thought I read somewhere that enough was being changed that we likely wouldn't be able to do that ... but it could just be my memory playing tricks on me.

A

AesSedai

- Good idea Maplestone.
I'm thinking we could copy/paste files to do that, I really haven't looked into the KR file structure (which I'm thinking will be the same as SA's).

- Aye IanJames, I'm hoping for something like that too.

I would love to hear someone from EA chime in on it, so some of us could dive into KR a bit more and get stuff properly setup in anticipation of SA.

Btw, I totally fumbled up my wording in the OP, but I figure I made enough of the point :)
I'm thinking SA will be a major patch update on the existing KR... but very unsure if that's how it will actually work.

T

Tazar

Although I dread reinstalling and setting up hot bars, macros, etc., I do hope that SA is a full clean install rather than a substantial KR patch. I say this because I would hate for any of the KR code to linger and cause future problems - such as we see now with the patchwork quilt known as 2D.

IanJames

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Although I dread reinstalling and setting up hot bars, macros, etc., I do hope that SA is a full clean install rather than a substantial KR patch. I say this because I would hate for any of the KR code to linger and cause future problems - such as we see now with the patchwork quilt known as 2D.
Aye, I'd have to agree with you there. It really didn't take that long to get things set up in the first place.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Too early to tell right now and will probably depend on just how many files they are changing and the size needed for a "patch".

If the patch is too big (let's see KR patches topped 800 Meg so I'd guess the line would be a Gig+ ), then I would expect them to make it a separate download or possibly a "phased patch" where portions are released within a certain timeframe. Otherwise, at the < 1 Gig level I expect we will simply patch up to the SA client.

I hope that Tazar realizes that the SA client is using the same client engine thus will retain most of the codebase for KR and that the coding changes are what will be downloaded and patched or installed in. The change will be in the internal codebase which based on the experiences I have had with custom UI modding will remove the older code and replace it with the newer code.

However, how that new code will be delivered is still unknown (and probably still being debated in Dev headquarters).

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Don't know if it's possible to do it or not, but I liked the way ML? came down, small patches over a period of time, and when it was finished, we entered a code to activate it and it was there! :)

Almost painless, and certainly seamless.

T

Tazar

I hope that Tazar realizes that the SA client is using the same client engine thus will retain most of the codebase for KR and that the coding changes are what will be downloaded and patched or installed in. The change will be in the internal codebase which based on the experiences I have had with custom UI modding will remove the older code and replace it with the newer code.
I do realize that it is the same engine, but they have made numerous changes to how the sprites, etc. are rendered. I'd still rather have a clean install without trailing bits of irrelevant code complicating things. I hope they keep it as clean and simple as possible.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Well, I'm pretty sure (or at least hopeful as it would be the logical thing to do) that they will provide a new download when they release the client update.

However, patch or download and install, unless something gets corrupted in the process will have the same outcome. Files will be changed, some may be added, some may be removed.

Like I said, having worked with UI modding and the Exchange website in particular, you can see how "client patching" can work. In fact, Illandril just finished doing an extensive rewrite of the LUA files for custom UIs so that they will better accomodate future patches of new menus, gumps, etc. In the past, the entire routines for certain aspects of the UI have also been rewritten from their original versions.

So I'll come out and say that the differences between KR and SA code will be much like the differences between the Default UI code and the code created and modified in the user created UIs.

In the end, it will probably be most dependant on the size of the files that have to be downloaded and that even if it is patched in, they will, assuming they follow the logical route, provide a version to be downloade and installed directly.

A

AesSedai

- Yeah still thinking about setting up more KR macros & hot bars, I just wish I knew if they will be able to work in or transfer to SA, or if they would all have to be redone...
:)

O

Old Man of UO

I'm wondering if there won't also be a new 2D client to download... ya know, encoded to get rid of a few hacks and cheats with 3rd parties.

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Although re-doing the macros would be a pain.... I'm willing to start from scratch if it means a cleaner, leaner, meaner client.