• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

?'s re: taming & stable slots

Norman Bates

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
First let me explain that I have never attempted taming, so I am really clueless to this whole aspect of the game. I have seen some posts about stable slots and how many one can have. What is the max # of stable slots a character can achieve? How does one go about getting them? I believe it has something to do with your taming skills, but I don't know the exact formula. ALSO: let's say I develope whatever is neccessary to gain the max stable slots, and fill them up. Then suppose I stone off those taming skills to temporarily become a thief, mage, whatever. What would then happen to those max stable slots, and the critters that I filled them up with? Do they all [or a portion of them] go bye-bye? As I said this is all new to me, so before I jump in I'd like to know what the heck I'm doing. Thanks in advance for your thoughts & insight:]

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
First let me explain that I have never attempted taming, so I am really clueless to this whole aspect of the game. I have seen some posts about stable slots and how many one can have. What is the max # of stable slots a character can achieve? How does one go about getting them? I believe it has something to do with your taming skills, but I don't know the exact formula. ALSO: let's say I develope whatever is neccessary to gain the max stable slots, and fill them up. Then suppose I stone off those taming skills to temporarily become a thief, mage, whatever. What would then happen to those max stable slots, and the critters that I filled them up with? Do they all [or a portion of them] go bye-bye? As I said this is all new to me, so before I jump in I'd like to know what the heck I'm doing. Thanks in advance for your thoughts & insight:]
If you stone off your skills, the pets in the stable don't "go bye-bye", BUT if you take one out, you can't restable it until you have the skills again.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
http://www.uoguide.com/Stables

16 is max, which is absurdly low. It's needed to be at least double that size for ages. I honestly see no reason why stable slots are not 100+.
I never understood it either... it's not like you can have more than 5 pets out at once anyway.... so wtf does it matter if I have 100 animals in the stable?

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I never understood it either... it's not like you can have more than 5 pets out at once anyway.... so wtf does it matter if I have 100 animals in the stable?
I seems to make an annual post asking for more stable slots or at least an explanation as to why they are so low, but nothing doing. Last boost we got was SA, which was 2 slots for everyone, which was going on 7 years ago.

Really don't get it. I've been unable to add new pets because I still want my old ones for a very long time.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I seems to make an annual post asking for more stable slots or at least an explanation as to why they are so low, but nothing doing. Last boost we got was SA, which was 2 slots for everyone, which was going on 7 years ago.

Really don't get it. I've been unable to add new pets because I still want my old ones for a very long time.
Stable slots were allocated when UO's servers and memory storage was based under UO's roofs. UO now has the "CLOUD" with a lot more storage and a smaller population so more stable slots should be no problem. My question is why were the follower slots put in in the first place and can we get more slots and have some of the pets adjusted say like the beatles, they really should only take two slots at the most. One for riding and the other for storage/forge. The only problem with giving more stable slots are the non/anti Tamers crying about what they did not get. Yes my miner would like 5 bonded packies, one blue beetle and one fire beetle at the minimum.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Oh I couldn't agree more about stable slots ...... Normal characters should have 10 slots... What is the point of having vanity pets like the Albino Squirrel, the Invisible dog, the squirrels and ferrets if no one can keep them. I mean a normal character might have a horse, a pack horse, Beetle... Some of us many of us have the Faction horses still... doesn't really leave any room for things like the Vollem and such... I probably have a dozen or so of the Albino Squirrels and such sitting about. No point in getting them out.. what would I do with them? I remember when a friend gave me a pair of ferrets I had to give up my beloved swamp dragon for that.

Honestly with all the many, many pets out there a tamer ought to have 50 slots. Pack of ostards, pair of Raptors (Cause one just isn't right), beetles, bake, mare, dragon, CuSidhe... and everyone loves to collect good colors, Hiryu, Spiders, White Wyrm, it all adds up... Bane Dragons you can't get anymore so you horde as many as you can, Same with Dread Mares...

With the Follower Slots it's not like it's "overpowering" to have 10 dragons in your stable... what are you going to do go get a new one every time one dies? No. Fully trained dragons don't just appear. You can only have 5 slots out at a time it's not overpowering or anything to have 50 pets in the stable. I personally would love if I could have 100. I just keep making more tamers so I can keep more pets. But shouldn't have to do that.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Gotta catch em' all!
Pet #5836473 I choose you!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
As long as we continue to have devs that don't actually play the game, things like this will never change. A good example is the "give us your ideas for Vet rewards thread". Play the game that you develop and then you won't need to poll US for good ideas. You'll know what we all need/want, because for once you'll actually be one of us.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
As long as we continue to have devs that don't actually play the game, things like this will never change. A good example is the "give us your ideas for Vet rewards thread". Play the game that you develop and then you won't need to poll US for good ideas. You'll know what we all need/want, because for once you'll actually be one of us.
Supposedly they do... But I'm thinking they only play amongst themselves and don't actually play "with" the playerbase doing things other actual players actually do... and they sure as **** don't do it in the EC since if they did the EC would be FIXED. And I'm willing to bet they have NEVER tried customizing homes much in either client or that too would be improved and fixed.

They only know how to build with their own godlike methods.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't even think playing is necessary for this issue. I mean, just look at the list of tamables, look at how many of them are 1-2 slot pets, how many have pack instinct, how many novelty pets there are (turkeys, pink bunnies, the 20 shades of horse they gave us last year) how many utility pets there are (packies, beetles) and you will easily see that 16 max is an absurdly low number.
There's simply no reason to limit it. All it does is force people to ignore "fun" pets, and go only for utility/power. I mean if you have one stable slot, are you gonna use it for a pet wolf to RP or a greater dragon, so you can actually play the game?

Hell if they want to get really cheesy they could sell +10 stable slots for 10 bucks, limit of 10. Easy way to fleece peeps. :p

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wish that I could tame an animal with my tamer and give it to another character on my account.
You could try getting a pet vendor in New Magincia (Tram or Fel), have the tamer put the pet on the vendor for an insane amount of gold, log out, log in with the other character on the same account and retrieve the pet from the vendor with that second character. Might work, if you have the patience to wait to get the stall and the character that is going to retrieve it has the ability to control the pet and an empty stable slot to take the pet.

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You could try getting a pet vendor in New Magincia (Tram or Fel), have the tamer put the pet on the vendor for an insane amount of gold, log out, log in with the other character on the same account and retrieve the pet from the vendor with that second character. Might work, if you have the patience to wait to get the stall and the character that is going to retrieve it has the ability to control the pet and an empty stable slot to take the pet.
I'm thinking that ought to work... I can't see why it wouldn't.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Don't you have to have an expansion to use the vendors in New Magincia? LOL

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't you have to have an expansion to use the vendors in New Magincia? LOL
You need to update your account with either the Rustic or Gothic theme pack to set up a commodity or pet broker. (Either one currently costs $9.99 USD on the Origin.com website.) You don't need to have your account updated with either one, though, to buy from one of the commodity or pet brokers. I think a lot of people have probably already purchased the Rustic theme pack so they can use the raised garden beds.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You need to update your account with either the Rustic or Gothic theme pack to set up a commodity or pet broker. (Either one currently costs $9.99 USD on the Origin.com website.) You don't need to have your account updated with either one, though, to buy from one of the commodity or pet brokers. I think a lot of people have probably already purchased the Rustic theme pack so they can use the raised garden beds.
TY

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Stable should be like any other container. 125 Items. Shouldn't matter if it is for tamers or non-tamers. Sheesh if someone wants 125 squirrels who cares, they can only have out 5 slots worth of pets at the same time. It makes no difference to the 'server load' if someone has 125 swords in a box (all with different mods/stats types etc) or 125 squirrels in the stable (all with different mods/stats types etc).

Tamers get the benefit of the high end pets, sadly, once you have a set 'few' that is the end of your taming career, no point in taming stuff if you have nowhere to put it.

There are million reasons I could list for stables to be treated as any other container, and I have done before, no point in doing it again now as the dev's don't listen, this thread has been put up every year for as long as I can remember. Nothing ever changes, and if and when they ever do change it, it will be like last time, a minimal change that did nothing to solve the problem or make the playing population happy. If a dev could explain what reason there is for not treating the stable like any other container it would go some way to restoring some confidence in thinking the devs ever really listen to what the players want.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Stable should be like any other container. 125 Items. Shouldn't matter if it is for tamers or non-tamers. Sheesh if someone wants 125 squirrels who cares, they can only have out 5 slots worth of pets at the same time. It makes no difference to the 'server load' if someone has 125 swords in a box (all with different mods/stats types etc) or 125 squirrels in the stable (all with different mods/stats types etc).

Tamers get the benefit of the high end pets, sadly, once you have a set 'few' that is the end of your taming career, no point in taming stuff if you have nowhere to put it.

There are million reasons I could list for stables to be treated as any other container, and I have done before, no point in doing it again now as the dev's don't listen, this thread has been put up every year for as long as I can remember. Nothing ever changes, and if and when they ever do change it, it will be like last time, a minimal change that did nothing to solve the problem or make the playing population happy. If a dev could explain what reason there is for not treating the stable like any other container it would go some way to restoring some confidence in thinking the devs ever really listen to what the players want.
Yup. That would be awesome.

Aibal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This change is so long overdue it's ridiculous. I take pride in my tamer's stables. I'd like to continue to collect an awesome group of pets as well as the "rare" pets that come out for a limited time. It's ridiculous that I have to choose what I'm going to keep and what I'm going to get rid of to stay at 16 stable spots. For the love of God, I trained taming to 120 (multiple times) but I'm still limited by this stupid rule set. In the meantime, I can put 125 POS items in a chest for unraveling. It's one of the stupidest things in game...

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
you can say, "Stallcount" to the stable master and it will tell you how many you have and how many are full.....FYI