• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Running multiple UO Clients...

J

jfkeach

On the Chat log, there was this
Zephenia <Xevei_GL> Any particular reason why we can't run multiple clients without needing to do the user switching? As long we have the accounts, what's wrong with running both at the same time? I like to banksit in one, and sort my things in the other 
Supreem_EAMythic I'm sure there was a reason why they implemented it this way years ago. I'm not exactly sure why they did it. We will look into this, but I can't promise that we can change it.
I believe that it stems from issues with the Windows Operating System. When UO came out, we had Win98. It didnt handle multithreading objects well. If you have two instances of the same EXE running, it would cause problems on that OS. The way the patcher works, made it check for the EXE running, and you couldnt start another instance of the client if you couldnt run the patcher.

Newer OS's like XP, Vista, and windows 7 handle name spaces differently. Thats why you can run multiple clients with different Computer User accounts simultaneously. I dont think that it was intentional as a means to stop customers from running multiple clients, but was the easiest way to program the client.

And there was issues with File locking as well in the older operating systems. Files UO needed to run. Security within the newer operating systems is different, attached to the user accounts on the PC.

It is possible for them to code the client to work in multiple instances, but it will be problematic. I dont see it happening any time soon. And if you are running UOAssist, it will have to be rewritten to allow that as well.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think the OP is correct on the reasons given.

There may be 1 more, players repeatedly dbl clicking the UO icon when it doesn't load up immediately (esp on slower machines back in 97). Without something to prevent it, this will cause unwanted multiple instances to load.

About rewritting UOA, don't think it is needed. Folks don't really play with both instances (this means they are afk on the non active instance). I normally use it to transfer stuff or cast arcane circle.

I am good with the devs just removing the multiple UO client restriction.

S

saladid

I remember it was with thieves at a bank befor trade windows and such on would steal and then hand directly from pack to second account guards called he dies but second account has item and nothing can be done. I also think there was a dupe.

Z

Zambowow

The way I look at it is this....

If you're paying for multiple accounts, then you should be able to run multiple clients. What running two clients can harm is beyond me. As long as your machine can handle two clients, you should be able to do so.

I'm all for it!

S

Serine

Multi boxing risk ? just what pvp needs :lick:

I can already se it , 5 mages run by one player at once pre casting 5 Flames strikes. Or 5 archers doing 5 special moves at once weeeee :p

E

Eyes of Origin

Multi boxing risk ? just what pvp needs :lick:

I can already se it , 5 mages run by one player at once pre casting 5 Flames strikes. Or 5 archers doing 5 special moves at once weeeee :p
if they can manage to do that, then well, must be nice rofl

Kojak

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Supreem_EAMythic I'm sure there was a reason why they implemented it this way years ago. I'm not exactly sure why they did it. We will look into this, but I can't promise that we can change it

super lol - it's not like you can't very very easily run 2 clients with a certain 3rd party program and have been able to for 10 years - they could easily just copy the method that that program uses - let's face it, they just don't want us to run 2 clients for some unknown reason (maybe just sheer laziness?)

K

Kurgan

super lol - it's not like you can't very very easily run 2 clients with a certain 3rd party program and have been able to for 10 years - they could easily just copy the method that that program uses - let's face it, they just don't want us to run 2 clients for some unknown reason (maybe just sheer laziness?)
NO need for any 3rd party app.

Run the EC client, once in game, load the old 2D client.

EC client running 1st account
2D client running 2nd account

Wow that was hard to figure out, and LEGAL...

I do this all the time to move items from one account that has chars at the back to another account.
Or to trade a house from 1 account to another.

Zayin666

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are you insane??? Think about the eye damage and brain tumors people will get when they use the EC client!

(Sarcasm might have been used in the above sentence :) )

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Folks, don't get carried away just yet. We are not talking about using 3rd party apps or scripts that allows players to auto move/cast/fight etc.

That's one of the reasons why I don't see a need for UOA to be updated to deal with multi clienting. This will likely lead to unattended macro'g.

As to 5 accounts doing precast flamestrikes in pvp, without scripts, the non active instances will be sitting ducks while you toggle between the instances. And if folks are scripting, someone has already noted that at least one of these script programs already allow starting multiple instances easily.

There are other legit uses (eg transferring gifts to a single char for xtrading) and legit ways to login multiple accounts (eg xp switch user).

S

Serine

As to 5 accounts doing precast flamestrikes in pvp, without scripts, the non active instances will be sitting ducks while you toggle between the instances. And if folks are scripting, someone has already noted that at least one of these script programs already allow starting multiple instances easily. QUOTE]

You dont get it . There is no need to toggle anything . one key stroke for all 5 chars and macro , all 5 chars mowing as one unit etc etc etc .

I am against the hole idea . I simply use 2 computers when i need to move stuff between accounts. and as stated above running classic and enchanted at same time seems to work to .

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

i[]NO need for any 3rd party app.

[/i]

EC + EC works too, or EC + 2d + EC... basically you can run as many instances of the Enhanced Client as you want (or as your system can handle).

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

[/i]

EC + EC works too, or EC + 2d + EC... basically you can run as many instances of the Enhanced Client as you want (or as your system can handle).
My system can't run the EC it kills my pc. Everytime the EC is used on my pc it hard crashes which is NOT cool!

S.P.A

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No need for Mythic to do a thing.

I use Windows Virtual PC, previously Microsoft Virtual PC 2007, previously Microsoft Virtual PC 2004, installed on my laptop and desktops. Create a few Virtual Machines, each with a copy of XP Home and an installation of UO 2D, UO Assist and UO AutoMap / Cartographer.

Start as many VMs as your memory can handle, run each UO account in each one.

With Windows 7, you now have Windows Virtual PC built in with XP Mode, perfect for this.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As to 5 accounts doing precast flamestrikes in pvp, without scripts, the non active instances will be sitting ducks while you toggle between the instances. And if folks are scripting, someone has already noted that at least one of these script programs already allow starting multiple instances easily. QUOTE]

You dont get it . There is no need to toggle anything . one key stroke for all 5 chars and macro , all 5 chars mowing as one unit etc etc etc .

I am against the hole idea . I simply use 2 computers when i need to move stuff between accounts. and as stated above running classic and enchanted at same time seems to work to .
I understand what you mean now. However, programs that can be started in multiple instances don't work that way at all.

Take for example your browser and text editors. When you click a link or type in a sentence, only the active window (the topmost one) recieves the input. The non active ones never receives them. Otherwise, people opening multiple documents will have no end of problems with newly typed paragraphs appearing in all the opened documents.

This is fundamentally a feature of all multi threading O/S. I don't even think it is possible for developers to intentionally code their programs (including the UO client) to do this.

Edit: In order to do this, I think some sort of "master" shell program must be used. Keyboard/mouse input is fed into this, then passed to all the multiple instances of the UO clients simultaneously. Which again, if folks are already using, they won't need the devs to make any changes to the UO client.

R

Reximus

they could easily just copy the method that that program uses
Yeah, Like they can't just comment the code out right, you are dumb.

If they don't do it, it'd just be because they don't want to.

E

Evlar

With Windows 7 I've had 3x EC clients and accounts running at once whilst sorting out houses.

Although I don't have a particular need to have more than one account running at once, it can be quite handy sometimes, especially when you have dual monitors ;)

One question I do wonder about though, is if I'm running macros and gaining skills on one, such as a crafter, whilst running around on another, is one classed as AFK macroing, even though I have them both on "screens"? :p

Sean

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One question I do wonder about though, is if I'm running macros and gaining skills on one, such as a crafter, whilst running around on another, is one classed as AFK macroing, even though I have them both on "screens"? :p
Yep, no matter what ,if your char is doing something in game, interacting in anyway, you need to be able to respond to any GM within X amount of time.

S

Sindris

I have never seen the sense in disallowing multiple clients to run at once. I have done it for 11 years or more, never had a problem doing it, never saw anything morally questionable about. Did it/does it violate the ToS? Possibly, but in this instance I don't really care. Its really only useful for rezzing pets, moving items from one account to another or rezzing someone on another account when time restricts going on a wandering healer hunt. I suppose there are more malevolent uses for this kind of thing, but I don't do that kind of stuff.

E

Evlar

You can always have a handy rezzing station for group champion spawns too ;)

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

[/i]

Actually, you can start the EC client after starting the 2D client - I do it all the time for gating rescues, pet rezes and friending other characters to houses.

It's not like it was when 3D & KR used the same patcher as 2D. The 2D/3D/KR patcher would detect another instance running and refuse to go farther, though you could run KR by going directly to the client and starting it (but doing so lagged the hell out of the system).

J

jfkeach

Im getting a new PC that supports Virtualization, which with Windows 7 Professional and the XP Virtual CLient you download from microsoft, you can have two OS's running at same time, one on each monitor. My current processor did not support this.

I like being able to transfer stuff between chars, or even guild my other characters from one without the hassle of logging in and out of UO. And it will be handy for ressing pets on my factions tamer.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wishing I could get a new pc... but that's not likely to occur...

I can't run the EC on my computer... everytime I do after about 5 or so min it hard crashes my pc. NOT COOL.

As far as running multiple accounts... I agree... If I own 8 or 10 accounts I should be able to RUN 8 or 10 accounts. I see no problem with that. Honestly you can't run and script 8 or 10 accounts. Least you shouldn't be able to. But I use multiple accounts when I can (using multiple user accounts) so that I can trade pets/homes/items etc. between my characters.

Sometimes I use multiple characters at a hosted event.

But before all this is added they need to return the ability in the EC that the KR client had of multiple co-ownership for housing. This is going to be a peeve of mine until the issue is resolved.

There is absolutely no reason in my opinion that the 2d client and the EC are limited to 10 co-owners and that accounts are limited to only being co-owned to one house...

For those of us with multiple accounts I pay to play just like everyone else .... yet much of my character base can't even properly use my own homes. This is something that really seriously ticks me off...

I do not want my accounts limited to "friend"... This stinks.... I can't secure things, can't manage anything... and I can't use deeded items... unless of course I use the "owner" account. :(

F

Fink

I've run four instances of EC on my computer without any problems. Of course, I could only pilot one at a time so I didn't see them all moving at once (but they all updated very well). I've also run EC + CC side by side to compare things, such as legacy backpacks and such.. I found I had to launch CC before EC, or not use the CC patcher, or it wouldn't allow it.