• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Runes of Magic

V

Vyal

has anyone seen or heard of this game? It's free to play and pretty much is the same as UO but it's 3D.

Housing, PvP, Crafting, and skills like in UO. No levels.....

http://www.runesofmagic.com/en/index.html

If anyone plans on trying this game out PM me or let me know in game or something. I'm wanting to test this out but I got to have a gang with me ;)

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
*gasp* Traitor!

LOL

And if it's the same as UO, why not just play UO ?? I figure if I go test anything it will be Mortal Online when it's released.
Was thinking Darkfall, but not playing with the lag getting to European Servers, no way :p

T

Tovladian Soltyr

LOL

And if it's the same as UO, why not just play UO ?? I figure if I go test anything it will be Mortal Online when it's released.
Was thinking Darkfall, but not playing with the lag getting to European Servers, no way :p
basically when he said "In 3D" means it's UO with the PROPER eye candy that EA just hasn't been very successful with yet :p.

hungry4knowhow

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
not to bring up an old post (still first page) but I think there are alot of misconceptions with this whole 3d and proper eye candy that EA has supposedly been unable to implement. First off it would be completely impossible to bring a 3d game into UO as we know it because the game is Isomeric, basically this means the game is a bunch of squares with a Z and X axis. Which by the way is pretty advanced for Isomeric to be able to adjust for altitude.

Second off, in order to bring UO completely 3d the whole engine would have to be redone because of the above statement. Your talking about 3-5years at the least of hardcore development for a game that has seen its prime. Many will argue that if it were full 3d i would be different, but the fact is with 11-13 million people playing WoW, UO's record setting 100k is nothing. If it were to have come out today it would be a niche game and not a mainstay such as WoW.

Let alone the programming and scripting in this game is based off of standards that were compliant 12 years ago+ (the game is 11 but the coding in fact is probobly more like 13-15years old) and you can start to see that the progression they have made with the KR client in and of itself is magnificent.

I seriously doubt EA has tried or ever believed that they would bring UO into a full 3D market. UO2 was a completely new game for anyone hat wants to bring that up. The IRIS Client is not full 3D as many people who have seen it may think. Its still based on Isometrics which is why there are so many bugs.

Put in simpler terms in order for UO to become this 3D wonderland that some people think it should be would take a completely new game. The game would have to be programmed from the ground up discarding everything except for the ideas, and lore.

From a business standpoint...take a risk and develop something like this for 3-5+ years for a maybe or stick with what is current and proven until it dies out and you can see where the votes lie. EA is a corporation run by shareholders not developers. Its the dividends at the end of the year that matter. Ok im done. Im drunk. Needed to get that out though because its all im seeing lately in the forums and UHall with the Stygian Abyss Expansion re announced.

T

Tovladian Soltyr

in order to bring UO completely 3d the whole engine would have to be redone
Exactly so they should stop wasting their money trying to make a 2d game appear 3D cause all it looks like when they do that is shadows and lighting vomiting on your screen.

hungry4knowhow

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I agree. I think the resources would be better spent just having the current graphics in a higher resolution. That in itself would do wonders.

V

Vyal

Actually there are plenty of 3D engines they could use to develop a new 3D UO. I'm sure EA has more then enough 3D engines laying around that they could use and just turn it up a notch.

I would luv to see UO become the first MMO to come out on a 360 but with a new 3D engine. Yes EA does have some nice 3D engines for the 360 but wow their PC 3D engines are so far outa date.

But Runes Of Magic custom 3D housing...... Need I say more?
I still havn't checked it out I downloaded the four part download and one of the zip's was corrupt :/ So if anyone has tried it please let me know.

hungry4knowhow

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
heres the problem with your option though. A NEW 3d UO. You are talking about redoing all the graphics. Not to mention the way the graphics engine talks to the other engines. Your talking about an engine thats 5-7yrs old say, talking to engines that are 12-15yrs old. Lots of problems.

Why would they devote the millions upon millions it would take for a game that is guarunteed to only serve a small niche of the MMO community?

V

Vyal

:yell::yell::yell:
hungry this topic isn't even about what it is your even talking about it's about a entirely different game. For two I just figured you know soem guy thinks he knows what hes talking about but really doesn't so I wouldn't say anything but NOW.....

Everything you have said is completly wrong ok ?
:scholar::scholar::scholar:
UO is psuedo 2d engine.
Millions of what? Anyone can make a UO clone I myself have spent alot of time developing www.vbgore.com
Games are cake they are only limited by a persons imagination not the funds they have.
Who spends a million dollars making a game?! :hahaha::hahaha:

Who is talking about making a 3d client for UO that works with their current servers? That is not impossible not at all. Almost the entire UO server is run by database and called by the server. Problems will come up with housing and i'm not even going to get into that here on this site I have my own site to get into fights with people like you.

Please this thread is about Runes Of Magic, I have been trying to see if anyone on Legends has got it to work or tried it.

T

Tovladian Soltyr

Hey Vyal I got it all DL'd and set up on my PC and have started a Character on the Artemis server. Didn't go for a PVP server cause from what I read no matter what server you are on you still have to do the "PK" quest in order to fight someone without challenging them to a duel and what not. I figured avoiding the one that says "PVP" on it will keep me away from the Jack*** roxxors that think they are gods cause they know how to button crunch lol.

So far it seems ok, I didn't have any lag at all until I hit the real city after I got out of the newbie city. I was kinda suprised by the lag, I don't get any lag in WoW or UO so they must be having some server issues still...considering it's in open beta phase still. It seems interesting enough, and I guess they aren't going to do a server reset like most the other games out there after they launch live so all the progress you have made in beta you actually get to keep.

So far to me it's like a cross between Lord of the Rings Online and Ultima Online. You can multi-class your character after you reach level 10 which opens up more possible abilities then what most RPGMMO's have, the flexability of it in that aspect makes it like UO on top of the in game housing. Then the graphics are a bit like Lord of the Rings and doing certian quests will earn you "Titles" just like in LotRO. Right now if you get caught doing 3rd party gold/diamond/anything selling (Purchasing or Selling) your account will be banned, so it seems like they are going to try and nip that in the butt right off the bat.

If they play there cards right they may actually be a decent game, but only time will tell. Instead of a monthly fee they are like most the "Free" games and you can buy special credits called "Diamonds" for the really cool stuff in game. I personally won't be investing any money into diamonds until I see if the game has staying power. Though from what I've seen there are already people blowing their pay checks on getting diamonds in a game that hasn't even come out of beta testing yet lol.