• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

{Rumor} Ultima Online 2 is in development

SirZ

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Source of rumor - Rumor - Ultima Online 2 back on track? | MMO ☆ Culture

"According to unknown sources, it is said that the creator of the Ultima series of games, Richard Garriott, has bought over the rights of Ultima Online back from EA through his new company, Lord British Entertainment, and is currently working on Ultima Online 2 again."

What do you think about it? I think that this "authoritative" resource is a ****, like a rumor.

Mythic-people, what can you say about this?

B

Babble

Is it April already?
:p

Though with EA's track record of mmos i would sell UO too.

B

Babble

but hey maybe this is the announcement Cal wants to give in the next video message :p

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I doubt it to be true. Just look at the polygon counts on those textures. It looks like something for the UO2 being developed 10 years ago. They were probably hidden and someone found them recently.

Plus, if EA sold the rights to UO, we would have heard about it.

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ugh....

The website has that crappy javascript snow.

I doubt it to be true. Just look at the polygon counts on those textures. It looks like something for the UO2 being developed 10 years ago. They were probably hidden and someone found them recently.

Indeed, WoW models are about 6,000 pologons IIRC, Most new games are easily 10k+ though.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I, for one, do not think it would be a great idea for a game with roughly 50,000 subscribers (maybe 100,000 at the outset) to have a sequel with itself that will also compete with itself. (Source of subscription numbers: Random blog posts that were tangentially related to UO, from anonymous folks who claim to be from Mythic. I did not keep the link, and who knows if it's real or not anyway!)

Not to mention that I have come to very much sour on both Lord British as a character and his player, Ultima's creator. Not all geniuses have a long shelf life.

So I'd really like this to not be true. And thus does desire feed prediction: I think it's more likely not true than true.

However, as I said last night in alliance voice chat: "Nothing would surprise me anymore with this game. Nothing. Cal could suddenly spawn as a monster in Moonglow, and it would not surprise me."

-Galen's player

Coldren

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Well, Richard Garriott's company Portalarium might not be big enough to be a distributor, assuming of course, they are not going to be doing this via a web-based distribution model. That was supposed to be their hook - Games you can play anywhere without a client. They can still sell the rights to the IP (See NetDragon), but doesn't mean they sold the property entirely. And clearly, EA itself sees no need to grow the property, so why not lease the name at a profit?

Second, if Portalarium is indeed going a client-less route, don't expect high-polygons. Though yes, those are clearly character models from UO2's initial development, that would be something to accomplish without a local install.

Third, and finally, I see this as 99.9% chance it's just a rumor with no foundation in reality. I can't even find any indication of "Lord British Entertainment" being an official company or studio, even as a subsidiary of Portalarium.

.. Doesn't mean that if this WERE true I wouldn't jump for joy, but I don't see it happening.

Raptor85

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, Richard Garriott's company Portalarium might not be big enough to be a distributor, assuming of course, they are not going to be doing this via a web-based distribution model. That was supposed to be their hook - Games you can play anywhere without a client. They can still sell the rights to the IP (See NetDragon), but doesn't mean they sold the property entirely. And clearly, EA itself sees no need to grow the property, so why not lease the name at a profit?

Second, if Portalarium is indeed going a client-less route, don't expect high-polygons. Though yes, those are clearly character models from UO2's initial development, that would be something to accomplish without a local install.

Third, and finally, I see this as 99.9% chance it's just a rumor with no foundation in reality. I can't even find any indication of "Lord British Games" being an official company or studio, even as a subsidiary of Portalarium.

.. Doesn't mean that if this WERE true I wouldn't jump for joy, but I don't see it happening.
Should be noted too those were basically the artists first run of the models, not final in-game versions, which probably would have been far lower poly at the time. But yeah...old old shots.

Secondly, JOGL these days can do quite a bit, so there would be really no issue doing something with graphics MUCH better than these online these days.

Personally I think it's just yet another rumor though, but if true I would welcome Ultima back in Lord British's capable hands, now with the screwups at EA.

B

Babble

Actually I wondered when someone would combine farmville with a bit Uo and a java client for a web based mmo

With decent gameplay that could sell well

Haven & Hearth — Home
From looking at it it almost has an UO feeling

sirion

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Would be great if true, but I think Lord British had already made up his mind long ago and moved on......

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
This rumor comes up... what? ...once every six months or so?

Arcus

Grand Poobah
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I didn't see anything on RG's facebook about this.....

Sounds really fishy.

I heard a rumor that 38 Studios bought the rights and is making UO:3 - The Unification

C

Cloak&Dagger

Personally I think it's just yet another rumor though, but if true I would welcome Ultima back in Lord British's capable hands, now with the screwups at EA.
I would not be so sure about anyone's "capabilities" How many of his non Ultima projects have gone on to be a success again?

Would be great if true, but I think Lord British had already made up his mind long ago and moved on......
He has said countless times since "moving on" that he would love to work on Ultima again, it is just a highly unlikely event as in my belief he will only do such owning the property and I don't see EA selling it any time in the future.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

First: As it said in the story before it even starts talking about the rumor, those images are from the old UO2 before it was scrapped. If there were new images it probably would have been more than just a rumor, lol.

Second: Yeah, we would have heard about it if EA sold the rights.

So, if we get news from EA/Mythic that the rights to UO were sold, then perhaps it might be real.

F

Fayled Dhreams

:scholar: And ye shall hear of wars and rumors of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all [these things] must come to pass, but the end is not yet.

:hahaha:

V

Vyal

Textures dont have a poly count.

& that was killed long time ago.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As long as they don't call it "Ultima Online 2" lol ...

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Richard Garriott wins lawsuit against NCsoft

by Rubi Bayer on Jul 30th 2010 9:00AM
MMO industry, News items, Legal

Over a year ago, Richard Garriott filed a lawsuit against his former employer, NCsoft.

There was a lot of back and forth regarding who said what, but the crux of the suit was that Garriott claimed NCsoft terminated him, costing him millions, as he was forced to sell his stock options at a bad time. NCsoft claimed that the opposite was true: Garriott left voluntarily. There was quite a bit more regarding a forged letter and the handling of Tabula Rasa, but in the end, the decision focused on the loss of profit from the stock options.

After several hours of deliberation, the jury awarded Garriott $28M USD to compensate for that loss. Garriott is "extremely pleased," but NCsoft is not finished yet. The company plans to look over its options and continue fighting the suit. Keep your eye on Massively for any updates on the case.

If he did get his money then maybe it may ring some truth but I doubt he will buy back any rights of his broken dream.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Yeah, but after legal fees and taxes, he probably only has about $8500 left out of that settlement :D

J

Javin

Yeah I heard UO2 is in development too, but its called something else...

-coughdiablo3cough-

~ J

V

virindiER

Saw that link. The first comment on the article cracked me up. Garriot has just too much free time. :)

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
has about the same chance of success as Al Lowe does of making LSL titles again, which is a shame really, considering.

Raptor85

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cloak‡1886260 said:
I would not be so sure about anyone's "capabilities" How many of his non Ultima projects have gone on to be a success again?
Perhaps not a massive commercial success in every case, but...(ignoring all the ultima games, since you said "non-ultima" (though I dont know how in a thread about him taking control of UO2 non-ultima games would be the comparison :) ))

Wing Commander and the Jane's Simulation games (Though he was not main designer on those, it was his studio)
Lineage
Tabula Rasa (it was actually pretty fun (if you looked past the launch bugs) but suffered NCSoft Syndrome.)

* Note: for those who have never played a NCSoft game, the same thing happens with basically all of them, it gets forced release when it's basically still in beta, and by the time patches hit it's too late and they're working on the next MMO, they seem to enjoy killing games and moving on. Aion is the latest example, the game is a blast....until you get further and there's nothing to do being incomplete.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I also play Guild Wars which is developed by ArenaNet but it is published by NCsoft. ArenaNet are definelty not being forced by NCsoft for Guildwars 2 to be released early. ArenaNet was actually the reason for it being delayed for release so they could add the underwater and swimming features to the game. NCsoft I do blame for Aion especially the rampant botting but they definelt have not done that to GuildWars.

Development

Work on Guild Wars 2 began in 2007.[12] It was announced March 27, 2007[1], which was very early in its development cycle, to coincide with the announcement of the final Guild Wars expansion. ArenaNet wanted to explain to fans of the original Guild Wars games their plan to stop development of episodic content and begin work on a new game.[13] ArenaNet were constrained by the decisions and complexity they had made with the first game and so, to do what they wanted with the game, they needed to start over.[3][10][13]

The development team abandoned the early open alpha and beta testing which they had used for the Guild Wars game. ArenaNet considered that player expectations for open beta tests of MMORPG had changed, and the beta was no longer used to test the game but to trial a nearly finished game prior to purchase. Beta tests announced for 2008[14] were cancelled to ensure Guild Wars 2 had maximum impact and appeal to these players.[6]

In August 2009, two years after the game was first announced, ArenaNet decided the game had reached a state where they were happy to show it to the public.[15] A trailer which mixed animated concept art and in-game footage was released at Gamescom, followed by interviews expanding on the lore of the game world and information about the player races.

In November 2009, NCsoft CEO Jaeho Lee stated the game would most likely not release until 2011, but a closed beta would be made available in 2010.[16] The 4th Quarter 2009 shareholders notes further supported this when NCSoft CEO stated that "the current development target was the end of 2010 but, Guild Wars 2 likely won't be released until 2011."[17]

A playable demo of the game was made available at Gamescom on 19–22 August 2010[18], Penny Arcade Expo (3–5 September 2010)[18] and Paris Games Week (27 October-1 November 2010).[19]

Skrag

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tabula Rasa lingered in development and sucked up money for yeeeears. NCSoft had to push it out the door sooner or later, beta state or not.