• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

RPG Gargoyle, in SA=template restrictions?

L

love2winalot

Hail: OK, Here is what i was really attempting to say in my other thread, that i started, that no one asked me to start, and so on.........:sleep2:

Good/Evil/Neutral. In SA you get another charater slot to create a gargoyle. You have to choose an alighnment, and each one has advantages/disadvantages over the other. But most importantly, it has SKILL RESTRICTIONS. A Followers of the Heavens cannot choose stealing, or necromany as skills, or have them on their template. The follower of Devils Horde, can not have Chivalry or Peacemaking. And so on.

Basicly if you are Good, you can not have Evil skills, and vise versa. Kind of like choosing a side, and actually having it mean something. A good Gargoyle can never attack another Good Gargolyle, And evil ones can be attacked anytime/anywhere. Part of the Abyss is Good, and part is Evil. If Good goes to evil part, they can get guard wacked just like if Evil went to good part, but most of it would be neutral.

What i am saying is, NOONE ever intended for good an evil to co exist to the point of having mixed templates of any skill they wanted on any type of charater. imhop, the game would end up being better. So, when does SA get released again? hehe:hahaha:

Beefybone

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Template restrictions based on some silly "alignment" selection would be a bad idea.

deadite

Sage
It's My Birthday
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Gotta say I agree... I don't want to make some choice that restricts me later. That's why I think UO is better than all the other class based games where you have to pick what you are before you even play the darn game.

Restricting templates isn't really helping Roleplay at all because it just limits you too much to be RP friendly. Why *can't* a necromancer and paladin be companions? There's a million stories to play out based on such an unlikely duo.

D

D'Amavir

Gotta say I agree... I don't want to make some choice that restricts me later. That's why I think UO is better than all the other class based games where you have to pick what you are before you even play the darn game.

Restricting templates isn't really helping Roleplay at all because it just limits you too much to be RP friendly. Why *can't* a necromancer and paladin be companions? There's a million stories to play out based on such an unlikely duo.
While I don't think that alignment restrictions should be implemented, I do think that some skills should not be allowed with others. Chivalry and poison for example. Or Chivalry and Necromancy. Or Bushido and Necromancy. But that is from a pure rp mindset. I know that some of the more powerful templates these days have those mixes, but it doesn't make sense (again, from an RP aspect only) that a Noble Paladin is also a necromancer. Or a Necromantic Samurai? Not really.

Shadowbane had a good idea with guild charters and what was allowed not allowed in certain guild types. And rewards for those that followed their charters. I would like to see something like that in UO. Some minor bonus for those that follow certain rp guildlines. But not something that would put non rp'ers at a disadvantage. Not sure what exactly could be made for those boosts, but something that was geared more towards RP itself. Player town decorations perhaps. Or named items that could enhance rp outfits. Again,nothing that a non rp'er would be at any pvp disadvantage because of. Just more support in general for those that rp in this mmoRPg.

C

Connor_Graham

I happen to enjoy playing my Chaotic Neutral Evil Paladin.

He does what he damn well pleases and to hell with ya if you don't like it. :lick:

Beefybone

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The last thing we need is some RP nerd dragging over his Dungeons and Dragons manual to tell us which templates should be allowed or not. Thankfully the developers would never do such a thing in a billion years.

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah, I don't really like template restrictions at all. As a roleplayer, I may have ninjitsu on a character, but that doesn't necessarily make them a ninja. In fact, I have ninjitsu on plenty of druid characters simply for the animal form spell, which I imagine to be a talent of some druids. It's one of the great things I love about UO is being able to mix and match skills to suit unique character ideas. Thus I'm against anything that restricts template ideas.

P

peanutbutter

Template restrictions based on some silly "alignment" selection would be a bad idea.
yeah... you're probably right... and every other game on the planet is wrong.

that sardonic response aside, though, i don't want the limitations in a game i'm already used to.

S

Shanna

The last thing we need is some RP nerd dragging over his Dungeons and Dragons manual to tell us which templates should be allowed or not. Thankfully the developers would never do such a thing in a billion years.

Look, I think the idea is too confining but there's no need to be a jerk about it. DnD is awesome but I don't come here to be a Chaotic Good Elven Wizard, I come to play a video game.

And let's not forget that, most games such as UO, have Dungeons and Dragons like qualities.

Z

Zoran

Man... So here we have someone who spends their day not just playing an online fantasy game- but TYPING IN ONLINE FORUMS about an online fantasy game (to the tune of 359 posts) calling someone an RP nerd????

WOW! Thats just waaaay too funny. Seriously. Best laugh all day. Sweet- thank you.
~Zoran

Z

Zoran

Then go play one of them. WTF are you sticking around here for, the good graphics?
Probibly so he can reach 360 posts and be cooool.... yeah! Posting takes the nerddom right out of online gaming.. I didnt know this before, but now its all clear.
~Zoran

Beefybone

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I live to educate newbs. It gives me a warm glow inside. Next time some nerd in a Star Trek uniform comes up and tells you that you can't have necromancy and bushido on the same template because his Lawful Chaotic Good Half-Elf Paladin forbids it in the name of the Jedi Order, you can tell him Beefybone and his 363 posts want him to STFU.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't see why you can't have a paladin in service of an evil god.

I also don't see why everything should be labled with an alignment. There is no good and evil in the game, just different players/characters.

Or why someone who has learned bushido can't have a fascination with death.

Even from a role played stance, it can ALL be explained.

Z

Zoran

lol... I dont think he wanted it EXPLAINED really hehe..
His point is just that he doesnt want to be forced into someone elses roleplay.

Honestly Beefyguy- I dont disagree with that logic. I dont see too many roleplayers hoping into the PvP world, and in tram they can set their characters up any way they choose (and I dont want more limitations either.)

I just thought you were being a bit on the cruel side in telling it as you see it.

But that last post? Wicked funny.
(But shesh- like an Elf could be a Jedi!!..)

~Zoran

Beefybone

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You've never played Second Life. A roleplayed Dark Elf Jedi with a three-foot @#$% having &$# with an anthropomorphic talking poodle is the norm there.

Z

Zoran

Oh damn- why didnt you say so!! See? Now you have solved the RP problem... RP'rs must go to Second Life!!!