• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(RP)Lake Austin Church

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pacem

A gentle reminder, come join us Sunday evening 9:30pm EST at the northwest corner of Luna inside town walls for a great experience. All are welcome.
Gates will start from Luna bank at 9:15pm EST.
Bring friends and questions, we will be happy to answer them!

A

Anderuin

What all do you talk about at this church? I have never been there before. Or to an actual church in real life. My grand parents were jehovah witnesses. But I personally have no religious affiliation. I was just curious about it.

P

Pacem

What all do you talk about at this church? I have never been there before. Or to an actual church in real life. My grand parents were jehovah witnesses. But I personally have no religious affiliation. I was just curious about it.
We fellowship, study Bible passages from time to time, even have a bit of Bible trivia once a month. We have a wonderful church family there, very open and inviting people, and understanding. The title of this thread may say role playing, but trust me there is no role playing involved, nothing but true praise and worship happens there. :) You're certainly welcome to join us tonight or any Sunday eve.

Sometimes we talk about different faiths and how they compare. One of our greatest joys besides the worship of Him is answering questions, so don't be afraid to ask!

P

Pacem

What the heck??? *points to the pic above and gawks* LOL

Velvathos

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Back on Pacific I use to run a church, but I would suggest you do it differently in UO... This is "Ultima Online" and is a game after-all, let your imagination run wild instead.. This of course is just a suggestion, I built a church on Pacific based off Ultima Lore and Ultima religion. The church was a "Avatarian Church" And we celebrated the Avatarian faith, a church of the avatar, where we worshiped the avatar and had a avatarian religion. Most of the time it was corrupt, as many undead became members of the church. The church members were known as "Arcanists" and it was a entire guild based around the church. I miss running it, only happened for a short while, but you should consider it, we would also preach about and practice the virtues.

It was all done though for roleplaying reasons.. Which people around UO do not have a sense of or respect for these days.

I am not Christian in reality but I am spiritual, I have never understand why people make churches in UO and use them for Christian beliefs and preach Christianity in a game instead of doing the obvious, use it for Ultima lore instead. Make up your own avatarian religion. Jesus Christ does not exist in UO. Only the Avatar!

S

SLACK

I'm of the opinion a good ol' IBTL would be appropriate at this juncture...
:popcorn:

(btw...no Tek YOU'RE a Jackelope!!!)

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Good idea...

I will point out the following though, before the lock.

1. The rules of UO do NOT prohibit people from basing a guild or other in-game community around a common religious belief in RL among its members. In fact, the rules, as written, go the other direction, and make it clear that harassing people in-game for their religious beliefs is illegal.

2. Truthfully, there is little difference between people getting together for a prayer meeting in a house in Luna, or using any other avatar-based chat system for such communal behavior.

3. The only real issues should be in the persons confining such out-of-place behavior to within their meeting house, and their methods of advertising their group. Off-topic posts in forums is fine, as is word of mouth in private conversations.
On the other hand, such activities such as streetcorner preaching in-game and broadcasting via comm crystals in pets to public places, not only tends to break the canon (let alone the fourth wall - like many even give that any mind any more) of the game, but tend to draw more ire than new membership.

4. Lastly, a lot of the hostility towards such groups, to me seems to come from persons who are known for their long-term Felucca or Siege Perilous residence (or at least that being their preferred gamestyle).

Perhaps I'm reading too much psychology into it, but it almost seems that the real source of the trouble comes from the critics never actually having a guild or circle of in-game friends where things like TRUST and generosity were not only not issues, but an integral part of the guild belief systems. Think of it as the "Grinch syndrome"; where, never having experienced an in-game organization where charity, cooperation without direct reward, and lack of greed were the baseline norm, resent them when such a group (religous based or otherwise) appears, because they personally believe that nothing ever happens without secret motives, and that no one can ever trust anyone in game.

Sure, this means that groups operating on such priciples sometimes get betrayed by someone faking their way in, and in the end, the "victims" are the ones that help each other put it in the past, often pitying those that felt the need to do such things.

Status
Not open for further replies.