• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

RNG issues - Current RNG streaking CONFIRMED by Draconi

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
From the UHall thread...

It feels like RNG gets "stuck" when doing something repetitive and can be "unstuck" when you do something like moving around or changing up what you're doing for a moment.

Is this real? If so, is it RNG or have my reflexes become so robotic that I'm hitting anti-macro code?
Yes, this is real and a reproduceable issue. The current implementation for the RNG hasn't changed in years, and is no different from what a Comp Sci. student learns about the rand() function in beginning C++ courses.

Now, given, you're no longer dealing with the anti-macro code. MrTact removed that quite some time ago. Unfortunately, the way we generate random numbers is still prone to cycling numbers (repetitive series), and we're planning on addressing it.
Now, can those of us that have been stating repeatedly that this issue occurs, have apologies from those that have flamed us repeatedly for insisting it to be so?

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just read that and was sorely tempted to post "nyah nyah I was right and you were wrong!"

But that would just be immature, so I won't.

Besides, it would fly in the face of my constant insistence that doing things like getting killed, eating and crossing the server lines wouldn't have an effect. If I read that correctly, all of the superstitious "nonsense" that people do to get out of RNG funks might actually work.

C

Cloak&Dagger

lol...I would agree farsight, except with the eating one maybe....but its hard to say for sure, the devs have said countless times eating does not help, but then reading the post by Draconi makes it seem more like "anything" could get the rng to kick out of its loop...oh well, I wouldn't hold your breath for those apologies tho =p

M

MoneyMaker

My bad luck finally has a name. RNG streaking.
Now, if I could find a way to stop going from one bad loop to another......

B

Beer_Cayse

The Devs admitted many moons ago it was streaky ... however posters just do not wish to believe the more immersed players when THEY can confirm that.

Hats off to you stubborn (and correct) folks for sticking to your guns. Let's hope they can do **something** decent to correct the situation.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
From the UHall thread...

Now, can those of us that have been stating repeatedly that this issue occurs, have apologies from those that have flamed us repeatedly for insisting it to be so?
I can not tell you how many times I have been flamed for saying this!
vindication is a good thing!

WildWobble

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ACK that means that my good fortune will become random hehe streaky rng loves me it seems quite often.