• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Feedback] Ridiculously Lagged

F

Fink

I've given this a fair shot, I'll say that up front.

Just went for a run to test various settings for making the client run better, using all the tricks suggested. All my drivers are up to date. Nothing seems to make any impact at all, gather that means my system isn't an issue. About every 3-12 tiles I stop for about a quarter second. Had a guy running on foot going easily faster than me.

Everything else about the client I've accepted, reported or dealt with in various ways. Using that v-scale trick I've even gotten used to the default zoom and pixelation. Standing still, or walking on foot, can't really fault it considering it's a beta version. But if I want to run or ride, I'm bogged down.

I keep hearing "it's beta, it isn't optimised". But will there be some point before release when an optimisation pass is done? I don't know how these things are done but I would like some assurance things will actually be playable for me. I've adopted the client for all but speed-critical stuff and I really don't want to go back to the legacy client.

Anyone else experiencing this sort of trouble?

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There have actually been optimization passes since the client was made public. However im sure there will be more.

W

Wolfways

The SA client has been completely smooth for me except for when riding through housing areas where i get a little lag....but i guess that's because everything in the houses loads.
The most annoying thing about that is if i want to stop and a house pops onscreen just as i release the mouse button i get a slight pause while the building loads and then my character runs on for about quarter of the screen before stopping.

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I do not experience any lag on my wireless gaming laptop, but the four people I had told to install SA said that they lagged, and I could even see them running in a jerky motion as I run along with them (I'm on wireless, mind you, and they are on hard wired).
One of them upgraded his video to 512MB AGP card, but still lags, the other guy has a Pentium 4 (yeah, it's old, integrated intel 82845G gpu, 512MB ram) and he lags big time (he's going to try to get a new video card). They only continue to play around in SA because they are getting hooked to the features and effects, but the lag makes them switch to 2D if they are to do anything in depth.

I'd love to see SA succeed and surpass.

F

Fink

I'd love to see SA succeed and surpass.
Indeed! :thumbsup:

My only real gripe is KR was running much smoother with lots more features & settings enabled, now Enhanced is chugging terribly at a fraction of the quality. If KR had run like a 3-legged dog for me, I'd simply upgrade my computer.

I'm hoping they sort this out, and soon. Who knows how many people have already been turned off by poor performance? People are usually patient & understanding if they've done betas before, but I think some would simply go back to legacy client.

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Luna invasion is giving me some lag in general, not TOOOOO bad.
But when the crimson dragon comes out and does his white screen flash, I freeze for 10 seconds. And I've crashed. That dragon is lag incarnate!

O

Old Man of UO

I've given this a fair shot, I'll say that up front.

Just went for a run to test various settings for making the client run better, using all the tricks suggested. ...
You probably already did this, but want to make sure that you have defragged and optimized your hard drive since the last patch. It took me two passes to get things in order, but makes a difference. I'm not having the lag today, but did a few days ago in the Twisted Weald, making me think it is the connection.

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You probably already did this, but want to make sure that you have defragged and optimized your hard drive since the last patch. It took me two passes to get things in order, but makes a difference. I'm not having the lag today, but did a few days ago in the Twisted Weald, making me think it is the connection.
So theoretically, an SSD drive should perform lag free?

Cear Dallben Dragon

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
im with ya Fink. I love the client to death. but yesterday i ran all the way thru the ratman lair before it ever cashed on my screen. I tried to PVP with my friend whos practicaly in an complete mage in ilsh. and I simply couldnt keep up with him. he got so frustraged that he flame struck himself to death.

T

TheGrayGhost

The Luna invasion is giving me some lag in general, not TOOOOO bad.
But when the crimson dragon comes out and does his white screen flash, I freeze for 10 seconds. And I've crashed. That dragon is lag incarnate!
Same deal for me and the Wife lol. Mild lag for the event, not really worth mentioning.......... Until the Crimson Dragon shows up. When the Crimson Dragon shows up it's like the spells are hitting my CPU lol.

*Crimson Dragon casts Flash Bang* *Computer takes 3k dmg and dies*

Time to insure my programs oO in case the Crimson Dragon decides to go all Full Loot on me.

F

Fink

I've had a mild breakthrough with something, setting object handles to 50 for some reason gave an anecdotal boost (I cannot back this up with hard figures) even though I only run with corpse handles enabled. Still.. sticking.. every.. three.. to.. five.. steps.

I'm still loading my neighbour's deco despite it being a private house that I've never entered. Still locking up in my castle every time I move from one room to another as it reloads the contents over & over. Still lagging far worse than Classic running (crawling) through Luna, and in turn Classic is far clunkier for me than KR.

I don't want to go back to KR; it is apparently a dead end now, more's the pity.
I don't want to go back to Classic; not while there's a better way to do things.
I don't want to "struggle" with Enhanced; after beta it should be "fixed", but until then I'm stuck with a slide show. :(

Sorry to sound like a whiner, but if I don't speak up it won't get addressed, and there's no better time than during beta.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wish I knew why you were having such a hard time, I'm sure your pc is going to be more up to date than mine, and while I'm a long way from lag free, I'm not struggling as much as you are. I have:
Athlon 1700XP (1400mhz) GeForce 4 MX 420, 640mb ram.
Graphics: fullscreen - not checked
max frame rate 60fps
show window frame - not checked (this one makes the biggest difference to me)
show foliage - checked
show mob shadows - not checked
enable vysnc - not checked
particle detail - low
particle filter - all
idle animation - not checked
animation - low
sound - No music
Options:
object handles 50 (as you know)
show names - approaching
tool tips - checked
show chat window - checked (opacity about 2mm from left edge on slider)
overhead chat fade delay 5 sec

At that I have happily taken on bloods in sorcerer's with my rune beetle and mare, including paragons. No problem, and in the nice empty room up there, no lag either.

F

Fink

Pentium 4 2.4GHz, 1GB RAM
GeForce 7600 GS, 512MB
WinXP ProSP2

Graphics:
fullscreen - off
max frame rate 60fps (screen refresh is at 85Hz)
show window frame - shown (doesn't seem to matter, except when I misclick outside the game)
show foliage - off
show mob shadows - off
enable vysnc - off
particle detail - low
particle filter - player/target
idle animation - low
sound - No music, no footsteps
Options:
object handles 50
handle filter: corpses
show names - none (NEVER works; I always get approaching names. Is there a hardcode way to fix this?)
tool tips - on
show chat window - on
overhead chat fade delay 5 sec

*edit* Obviously not the best of systems but it ran KR flawlessly, in as much as the word "flawless" can be associated with KR.

Things are definitely done another way in Enhanced client. With KR I could step into my castle & walk to where I wanted to go without jerking or hitching, and the contents would load as a "background" task. They also didn't unload or reload as I moved from wing to wing.

Is there any way to record a video of Enhanced? I did use Fraps once but I hear there's better software.