• Important Information About This Forum
    Questions posted in this forum are 'moderated' and only viewable by Stratics Admins and Mythic Developers. They will be be set public only when an answer to the question has been provided.
  • Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Rideable Gorillas a distinct possibility?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hen

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hail devs.

Many creatures can be tamed and mounted in Sossaria, from the canine Cu-Sidhe to the great Polar Bears of the north.
However there are at the time of writing, no ape or monkey mounts.
Would it be feasible to introduce the gorilla, gentle goliath of the woods as a mount in the near future?
Maybe with a craftable 'banana cannon' helmet that fires bananas at heinous adverseries of the gorilla and its owner?

Mark_Mythic

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
While in the magical world of computer gaming nothing is impossible, there are many things, like ridable gorillas, that are just down right unlikely.

One of the main reasons we haven't done it is that gorillas chaff easily when being ridden by a player wearing armor. When that happens, you can believe the Britannian Brotherhood of Beastie Betterment will get cranky. I've seen the BBBB angry, you wouldn't like them when they're angry.

On the technical side, the problem is the animations required. You will notice that all current mounts allow us to use the same animations for the player, we just need to adjust the character so their bottom is on the back of the creature... to ride on an ape would be a very different kind of animation. Furthermore, we would need to make animations for attacking/casting spells, etc while in this unique position. Finally, we would need to make special animations for all the clothes since they are actually animated separately. I think you can see why there will probably be no ridable gorillas for UO.

That said, I hope you enjoy the number of ridables we already have, which is a lot. And I can assure you that we will keep making new ridables.

Status
Not open for further replies.