• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Revisiting novel or favorite "classic" UO item-built deco ideas

G

I love the stickied art of decorating & custom house threads, and some of the old "detached" former stickies on decorating, but let's face it - sometimes those threads are hard to browse because of the bulk, and many of the pics are large (since they show full houses) and either take a long time to load or no longer work.

So, I thought it might be fun to do a "refresher" and post some of our favorite designs we have seen of items built out of other items.

<font color="red">If possible, crop out your image in advance, highlighting the SPECIFIC area of the deco that caught your fancy, so we can keep the images small &amp; focused in this thread.</font>

*edit*: where possible I am citing, if nothing else, the house in which the design was used or the person who last posted the pic when I swiped it. I understand that we all "borrow" and expand on ideas, this is not meant in any way to steal anyone's thunder for an original idea. This is just to show good examples!

One that I particularly love, was this horse cart, featured in a Western house design, posted by Miss Echo many moons ago.

-Skylark

G

And with Easter coming up...can't forget Sarsmi's bunnies!

-Skylark

G

One of my own (*shameless plug*
) - the velvet rope curtain, combined with a single tier fountain adapted from one of Pluffy's design to dress up a "dead" corner by stairs.

-Skylark

G

Cheating in the thread I started already by posting something that is NOT made of other items...but I am justifying it because it is small section.

This little snippet of a custom house by Duncan McDermott really caught my eye. Sort of a romantic balcony...nice touch!

-Skylark

G

Statue display idea...crafted wooden box with black goza mat on top.

-Skylark

G

Spooktactular Halloween &amp; fall deco ideas from a custom house by Voluptous.

-Skylark

G

Kitchen cabinets in Oligizmo's fabulous custom house design. (Sorry only pic was reduced in size).

-Skylark

G

Xanth de Orlig's big barrel planters.

*edit*

(Swiped image is a bit dark and blurry, so I reproduced the design and took some clearer pics. The base works with footstool, Trinsic style chair, and wooden chair...I thought it looked best with the plain wooden chair, dyed to give a bit more contrast against the ground tiles. I left a bit more of the chair showing in these examples.)

-Skylark

G

Example collection of item built dolls (from pic posted previously by Arnulf and swiped off Japanese site UOCafeteria).

-Skylark

imported_Falon of Eldor

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*stands and claps*

That is awesome skylark, thank you.

I have been thinking about a nativity scene lately.....didn't someone create a manager? If you can put that shot up I would be greatful (if it even exists).

Thank you.

G

I remember this one by Sarsmi with a peach colored bonnet for the baby's head. (Super cute idea!) Looks like she used stealable empty sword displays with raised gozas for the manger base, and a pile of sand for the hay "pillow" and a gold plate for the baby's halo.

This fabulous one by Dark Angel of LS (although the baby's head is a raw bird and there is a WOLF in the stable near the baby! No doubt attracted to the raw bird.
)

-Skylark

G

Modern style fireplace. (This was an adaptation of a fireplace style on Pluffy's site, merged with the silver pillar idea from Castles &amp; Courtyards). I just tossed one of the NPC purchased board games in front because I thought it looked like a nice inlaid tile piece.

-Skylark

G

Tried a loveseat variation of the sofa for those who need something to fit in smaller area - it uses wooden thrones hidden beneath for the couch base, so you can actually have your character "sit" on the loveseat (and disappear inside the cushions
). I think it would look better with different throw pillow, such as the square tasseled kind, but I couldn't find one that wasn't already used in my house when I was messing with it.

-Skylark

G

Adorable aviary by Voluptuous. (Very clever on using crafted fruit basket for nest!)

-Skylark

G

um...love to say ya thats what i did...but no, it was just a basket of food for the birds, lol (and a splash of color).

G

Thanks heaps for posting these - I've been slowly going through all the places I have bookmarked, but with a super slow dialup connection,a nd so many images being SO huge, I've been having a slow time of it! =D

LOTS of ideas for my castle in here =D

G

i would love to see this post stickied so it didn't get lost, there are some really great ideas here.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Kitchen cabinets in Oligizmo's fabulous custom house design. (Sorry only pic was reduced in size).

-Skylark

[/ QUOTE ]

This kitchen is adorable...I am always looking for good kitchen Idea's.

G

Outdoor water faucet. (Taken from Castles &amp; Courtyards site - tutorial by Siobhan of Legends).

The barrel tap as a faucet has many uses, which many people have created cute variations. Here is the bathroom in one of my own houses (with "classic" toilet - think I got that off of one of Pluffy's sites but can't remember).

And a sink variation...the hand towel was something I came up with after playing around with various items.

-Skylark

G

Nice evil throne setup using combination of the new evil/shadow decor with gozas, and old items, by Daan Mor of Siege Perilous.

-Skylark

G

Birthday party setup. I asked for suggestions on better "strings" for the balloons, and someone mentioned bolas. I haven't tried it yet, but that sounds like it might look nice.

-Skylark

G

Here is a beverage fountain I came up with for a UO wedding reception, using a dye tyb, footstool, goblets, and grapes of wrath on top.

And the wedding cake table from the same reception (featuring ML crafted table &amp; new heritage collection curtains).

And some wall garlands behind the main banquet table.

And the main banquet table segment. Note that you can make your table as long as you want by simply repeating the segments of Yew tables, with fishing net runners, candelabra &amp; flower decorations, etc. This particular table was HUGE.

-Skylark

G

I used these tower plant stands (tutorial also on Castles &amp; Courtyards under "flora" category) to spruce up the entrance of this vendor house on Siege. (I actually have a rune marked to the one cabbage field where the north tile cabbages grow, and I take my life in my hands every time I go there to pick for a project.
)

-Skylark

G

<blockquote><hr>

You are simply amazing!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

*laughs*

At swiping deco, screenies or both?

-Skylark

G

<blockquote><hr>

*laughs*

At swiping deco, screenies or both?

-Skylark

[/ QUOTE ]

Definately both

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<font color="purple"> love that wedding feast, very pretty!

I always put the water sources on the west wall, that way I get to use ingot and barrel tap together, which I like </font>

<font color="purple"> first faucet is glacial snow, bench, barrel, spider's silk, bubbling flask, tap and ingot

second is glacial snow, bench, more snow, barrel, keyring, silver coins, tap and ingot

last doesn't have the water faucet, but I included it just cause it's kinda cute... the trough maybe could come up a bit higher, but I'm pleased with the result </font>

G

Love the snow "puddle" and the ingot works great for a faucet mount!

-Skylark

P.S. the wedding, being on Siege was raided, and the groom died in the fight to get the guests safely to the reception hall.

The walls of the reception hall look like a fortress because...it was! The wedding couple built it that way, expecting the extra festivities.

Zynia

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks Sky for including me! I'm back from a three month break and making a new kitchen in the meantime I'll be sure and send it along hehe.

G

In a fabulous merging of old school item-built deco with the new add-ons, here is Blesh's opulent curtained/canopied bed featuring colored fishing nets, and Heritage Collection curtains. (Designer notes this can't be done on a floor with a ceiling due to the height requirements of building it).

-Skylark

G

<blockquote><hr>

my stone chair beds are "old school"??? Crap I'm old???

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, Voluptuous, consider I have only played post AoS, and a lot of people don't bother with item built deco to the extent of examples of stuff I have seen predating deco tools, especially since the expansions have dumped all these add-ons into the game the last few years. So even though the design concepts may be 5 years old or less, when UO itself has celebrated its 10th birthday, they are still "old school" as far as I'm concerned, because you didn't just double click a deed to make them appear.

-Skylark

G

Not sure if this belongs on here or not

If it doesn't send me a pm and I'll delete the post.

Gruesome fireplace built for a friendly Orc of my acquaintance

G

Heh, finally got you to post it I see. Yes, it belongs here.

-Skylark

G

Here's a really simple idea. I'd love to attribute it, but I can't remember where I found it. I confess the idea isn't mine.

The 'stew' in the pot is an aquarium 'fish flake'

G

Finally a good use for aquarium food.

Funny, that I like a lot of the player item built cauldron setups more than the new heritage collection add on with its evil persistent stew.

I have seen similar arrangements with a spider silk (one or more pieces) floating above to simulate steam, which is a cute extra touch for variety.

Thanks for sharing, Petra.

*looks around hopefully for more offerings*

-Skylark

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I hope this Thread stays sticked AND updated...so many times I"ve gone to the old deco threads and most of the pictures were gone

Here are a few of my own.

Incomplete living area, but you get the idea lol.

The front of the Haunted house I did a few years back

Some of the interior deco

Courtroom in the Town Hall when I had my player-run Town

My keep roof, all my crafting stuff is up there.

This is from Christmas but I'm sure you can build a regular tree or just about anything using this technique

I have to put this in here just because I am in Awe everytime I look at it *grins* Sarsmi never ceases to amaze

This I actually loved more in the KR client, the bones look pretty awesome there.

S

SaoirseCat

Hope this goes here. ^^ Hee.

Me experimenting with extra sized tables idea. Goza mats, hardwood table and maple armoires for the legs.
Similar looks can be made with the heritage tables.. or rubble palisade flooring for the outer rim.
The south-side legs on the hardwood table are easily covered with some table decor.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Hope this goes here. ^^ Hee.

Me experimenting with extra sized tables idea. Goza mats, hardwood table and maple armoires for the legs.
Similar looks can be made with the heritage tables.. or rubble palisade flooring for the outer rim.
The south-side legs on the hardwood table are easily covered with some table decor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for sharing that SaoirseCat...it gave me an idea for a variation right away.

I just quickly assembled this in the middle of the floor of one of my houses, but I think in the right context, and against a wall, this large desk would work very nice. Probably something to cover the seam on the right side between the maple armoires would be good Now if only Uvtha got his wish and we had FILLED book shelves.

-Skylark

P.S. you have donuts! I don't think those ever spawned on Siege.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Ohh desks!!! Those are awesome!!!! Grrr now you're gonna make me wann re-open another account just so I can place another house..darn you guys!!! *laughs*

S

SaoirseCat

oh! That's a lovely shelf-desk. That gives ME more ideas myself. I think I'll try a blacktop kitchen. Psh. Why didn't I think of that before.

(Origin Donuts.. just bought them.. teehee. I always wanted donuts.)

Psst. Larisa. This is the new resident of your castle, deco-ing my little housing tool to death. I have a lot to live up to. lol

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Can't wait to see the castle when it's done!

G

Zynia's Rose of Trinsic purple planters. Great "cover up" setting for this badly rendered 7th AE art work that makes it actually look good!

-Skylark