• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Returning to UO...

Kolgan

Visitor
Hi, I'm an old timer who has been back since the weekend and wow what a difference, the learning curve seems so steep.

I quit UO back around 2005 but had the inescapable urge to find out what had become of the world so reactivated at the weekend after much to'ing and fro'ing with UO Support who I have to say were fantastic.

A couple of things I'm struggling to get my head around is how magic items are rated nowadays - seems the days when my war hammer of vanquishing was considered pretty impressive are long gone. Although I vaguely remember the new system of properties being there towards the end its still quite a challenge to understand so if anyone has a link to a guide explain how it all works nowadays it would be appreciated as I cant find one anywhere.

Buying regs also seems a pain as nowhere has them in bulk anymore... is there a new way to buy them as my stockpile were lost when my house collapsed - recalling around buying them ion 20 piles isn't really much fun.

And finally (well for now anyway) I've looked a bit at this imbueing which seems worthwhile but where is the soulforge as I cant seem to get to this place where the public one exists and can I get one in my house? If so can anyone sell me one please?

Any help appreciated......and if you see Eric (half built Warrior) , Kolgan (Half built tamer), Dozer (Third built crafter) or Nelson (Quarter built fisherman archer) kicking about say hi... I'm easily distracted from training as you can probably see.....

Kolgan

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Welcome back!

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
what shard you on? a lot of new stuff. chat programs like vent/TS etc are great to relay info. I hate typing lol. too bad each shard didn't have a chat program to help people.

Melchiah

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Your best bet is to come along to WBB between 6 & 7 every evening (GMT). It's a general meet and greet and a great opportunity to ask questions and chew the fat!

Oh, and welcome back!

Morbeous

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
If on Europe come to Britain bank at 6pm uk time. There is a guild for new and returning members. Why not join up

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Hail Kolgan!! Welcome back in Sosaria! We can fully imagine you feel overwhelmed with the steep learning curve, but we trust the kind Europa community will have already helped you with lots of information? Did you get to attend one of the WBB meetings already? We assume for now someone will have mentioned the LRC (Lower Reagent Cost) suits already, which should lessen the urgent need for regs perhaps. But if you need them for alchemy or scribing spells or prefer the good old bag of reagents to cast, the amount on NPC sellers doubles every time you have bought from them after some 20-30 mins, up to 999 max. That way, if you invest a day in it you can get a good haul, especially if you recall around past several NPC mage shops. As a warning note though, if you are late in revisiting a place, they drop to half their previous supply again.

We can also so picture your trouble to get to terms with the new magic items, we still have a few of our old formerly vanquishing weapons, purely for nostalgia's sake, since those are double whopper with cheese now... Tbh, we ourselves also haven't learned what is best in current weaponry, and are still learning what we want on our suits... We can't give you a helpful website that explains all, although some things might be explained somewhat on the UO Guide website:
UOGuide - the Ultima Online Encyclopedia

And we guess the template specific pages here on stratics (for example UO Warrior, based on your vanquishing warhammer) will also have a ton of knowledge, we have many threads bookmarked but never seem to find time to read all...
UO Warrior

We are the type of players that loot everything from a corpse and then bring it all home to sort the crap from the good stuff. (Although many people here will probably consider it all to be crap lol.) So we see a loooooot of items al the time, but we are still not certain on what is important/good and what isn't. Most probably because we rarely play on warriors, we guess it is a case of learning as you go.

We are not sure what you meant with "looked into Imbueing", did you read about it or hear about it, or can you use it on your characters? In other words, do you already have the Stygian Abyss expansion? Cause your remark of not being able to get to the Public Soulforge could mean "can't find it" but also no access for lack of the expansion? The Public Soulforges are both in the Royal City in Ter Mur, the one in the Royal Palace has a bonus but also requires nobility status to use it (= 10000 loyalty points to the Gargoyle Queen).
Oh... just read both Public Soulforges give bonuses, here:
Soul Forge - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia

Now we bite our tongue, for fear of overloading you with information, that is often worse than too little lol. Enjoy your time back in this wonderful online world! And see you around!