• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Returning to Europa

Dai Shan

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Hello,

First let me introduce myself: I played at Europa 08/1999-12/2001 - quite a long time ago, so yes, I might be a little lost. I'm considering on playing with my mage and my warrior again.

Roughly my warrior has the following skills/stats:

Str 100
Dex 100
Int 25

Swords 100
Archery 100
Tactics 100
Anatomy 100
Lumberjacking 97
Healing 89
Resist 70
Magery 44

I'm planning on rising Focus anyway. I'm planning on PvM mostly to start with and I usually play alone. But my questions for the community here are:

1. Is lumberjacking even viable anymore? On PvP/PvM?
2. I have both swords and archery GM'd, should I drop one?
3. Do I have to have Bushido/Chivalry? One or both seems to be on every build.
4. What would you build with this mixmatched old char.

Thank you in advance

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
1. lumberjacking helps to kill faster when you don't worry about defence (weak enemy)

2. you can keep both like I did

3. they increase your damage very well so you'd better to get both of them

4. here is a char that I started at new shard few months ago
One month ago I have started a char on Drachenfels. I have just killed Dread Horn with this char. 15 minutes to get keys and 11.5 minutes to kill Dread Horn.
So it doesn't take much time to train/equip a character that can solo Dread Horn.

The suit:
5x armor pieces (crafted from barbed leather): 7 LMC, 4 HPI, 7 MI, 8 SI, 15 res
Mace&Shield bandana (50 minax)
Corgul's sash (1 m)
Tangle (traded for 50 minax)
Mana Orb
Quiver of Infinity
Shroud of Condemned
Jewels: 15 skill, 5 DEX, 15 HCI, 15 DCI, 13 DI
Composite Bow: 48 HML, 50 HSL, 50 DI, 40 SSI, 20 HFat
Yumi: 48 HML, 50 HSL, 50 DI, 10 SSI, 50 HL, 1 HLL
Black Staff: 68 HLL, 68 HML, 50 HSL, 45 DI, Reptile Slayer, 100% cold damage
(as you can see both bows were reforged with one useless mode so they are not very expensive... but they are still expensive because they are enhanced using the MFA Tool)

138 HP, 181 Stam, 85 Mana
75/70/70/70/80 resists
100 DI, 45 HCI, 34 DCI (cap)
60 SSI with the Compo and 30 SSI with the Yumi (need Ranger's Cloak to get 35 SSI = 1.25s with 150 stam)
(I bought +25 stats for 4.5m and I got +5 stat from Exodiose)

It is a cheap version of my Melee Archer.
I use macefighting instead of swordsmanship because I needn't SSI jewels to get 1.25s with a Black Staff... and 120 mace is cheap.
I have 110 Tactics/Anatomy/Healing because my suit is not good enough to put 60 skills on jewels... and I needn't spend gold for 120 tactics.

Skills:
120 archery
120 mace
90 bushido
120 chivalry
110 tactics
110 anatomy
104 healing (still need to be trained up to 110)

Dai Shan

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Thank you Corwin, your guide is amazing. Just a lot to bite after 13 years ;)

I think I'll drop LJ at least and have to about dropping archery. So effectly I would keep swords, tactics, anatomy, healing. So there would be room for both chivalry and bushido, and for resisting for that matter.

Chivalry might be a problem, since my Karma is awful because I used to RP with Balwen quite a lot back in the days - so for that matter, his Karma/Fame is evil.

I need to think if I should incorporate parrying to the template as well. But that would cost some of the chivarly/bushido/resisting area.

EDIT: Damn, I forgot about focus. Need to propably incorporate that as well. If I would make a choice between bushido OR chivalry, is there a preference? RP wise chivarly doesn't fit, but I think I'll build Balwen completely new anyway.

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
120 Focus gives you about 0.6 mana per second while you usually spend 15-20 mana per second to chain AI/DS. There are a lot of skills that will be much more useful in PvM.

If you have got a Soulstone you can switch between LJ and Parry depending on monster you are fighting (or may be even between LJ, Parry and Heling like my disco-swordsman does).

You can get 20k Karma in a few hours killing Trasher. If you have a bag of sending you can also earn some gold at the same time (though not much).

I believe you will not be able to farm Blackthorn solo without Archery.... but Swordsmanship is better if you are going to farm champion spawns. I suggest you to keep both if you need to earn gold.

Remember that the most important thing for your char is to be able to chain AI/DS... If you can't it would dramatically reduce your damage output.

Dai Shan

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Thanks again Corwin, I'll keep that in mind and experiment a bit.

Thank you Christina, I'll try to remember that ;)

Dai Shan

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Btw, what are your preferred means for traveling? With chivarly scared journey is of course nice, but without it? As I recall, you still need some magery to use recall scrolls right?

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
If you have 0.0 magery, I think you'll still fizzle if you simply use the plain recall scroll.

If you use the recalls to charge a runebook, I believe you have 100% success rate to recall even with 0 magery.

There are NPCs that sell recalls for ~40gp each, or if you have a scribe cost ~14gp in raw materials to make. If you find an NPC that sells the recall scrolls, it'll take you just a few visits until you have it selling hundreds at a time (Luna vendors might usually be like that, but also cost more).

Dai Shan

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Ah, thanks again. I remembered you needed magery for that. Good thing, that I remembered it wrong!

Oh, and Corwin, now I understand why you said "I can help you with suit"... Things have changed quite a bit since when you only needed GM armor.