• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Returning Tamer - Some questions

Borgsson

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Hi guys. I played mostly from release onwards till the middle of AoS or so, so bear with me.

Im stuck with my tamer, really overwhelmed with the changes to pretty much everything since AoS haha. Some background on me. I was a Tamer/Mage during T2A and Renaissance, when AoS hit I joined an RP guild on my warrior toon and never EVER touched the new items, new lands or anything, it was all strictly Brittania or bust!

So coming back now im overwhelmed and dont know where / how to get going again. I have a couple of toons which I could play with but want to focus on my tamer (as its my oldest and most fun toon)

Currently skill wise im sat at:
117.5 Lore
114 Taming
89.6 Vet
110 Magery

Then im at a loss of what to do with the rest, when I was playing properly I had med and eval on there for a more pew pew sort of mage. However at some point I seem to have put some bard in for those two, and am at

100 Music
72 Peace

In my stable are two very old pets one 4.5 rated regular dragon, and a 4.3 rated Nightmare.

Ive now bought a 100%LRC suit with some luck on it, with mostly maxxed resists (Phys, Fire and Energy are maxxed)

Im not rich, have around 100k left in my bank, no house, have a boat on me though.

The main question I have for you guys is, how should I go about getting back into it, should I tame some new pets for farming with? Ive tried looking through the forum and on stratics to find decent pets to use but cant figure out whats still current.

I generally have no issue being a pure tamer, however when the poop hits the fan, I forget to peace and normally run around like my heads cut off HAHA

The second question would be what should I do template wise? I want to keep the lore, tame, vet and magery but no idea what to do with the rest.

I literally have NEVER set foot in Malas dungeons, Ilshenar, the gargoyle place or any dungeons outside of the normal dungeons in Brittania.

Im on Europa if thats needed.

Cheers guys!

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hello and welcome back!

I'd say ideally work taming and lore to 120. Maybe vet to 100. I only run 100 vet and seems ok. I guess 120 is ideal if you have enough points spare. Tame yourself a greater dragon and then get that trained up.

As for other skills maybe go for some bard based skills or mage with spell weaving? I have all the taming skills along with mage and eval for the spell damage. I let my pet attack while I stand back casting all the damage based spells and healing my GD at the same time.

I also play Europa so let me know if you need someone to show you taming / hunting spots etc.

Last edited:

Borgsson

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Hello and welcome back!

I'd say ideally work taming and lore to 120. Maybe vet to 100. I only run 100 vet and seems ok. I guess 120 is ideal if you have enough points spare. Tame yourself a greater dragon and then get that trained up.

As for other skills maybe go for some bard based skills or mage with spell weaving? I have all the taming skills along with mage and eval for the spell damage. I let my pet attack while I stand back casting all the damage based spells and healing my GD at the same time.

I also play Europa so let me know if you need someone to show you taming / hunting spots etc.
Thanks for the reply, I did enjoy going mage/tamer and casting spells, however was playing around with bard and quite enjoyed it, possibly thinking of going disco/tamer, but still contemplating.

As for the Greater Dragon, I had a go and managed to tame one... after all the effort it came out as a 1.4..... not really that great and feels weaker than my current regular dragon, I suppose I should just keep going and go for one as good as possible?

Where would you recommend I go after I get a semi decent one? Are there any other pets which are a "must have"

Aroma

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the reply, I did enjoy going mage/tamer and casting spells, however was playing around with bard and quite enjoyed it, possibly thinking of going disco/tamer, but still contemplating.

As for the Greater Dragon, I had a go and managed to tame one... after all the effort it came out as a 1.4..... not really that great and feels weaker than my current regular dragon, I suppose I should just keep going and go for one as good as possible?

Where would you recommend I go after I get a semi decent one? Are there any other pets which are a "must have"
Ok my best advice is disco tamer is prolly your cup o tea, now as for the greater dragons those you need to farm run in invis lore them, ones with bad stats kill em off rinse and repeat till decent one spawns.

One note to think about a disco tamer kills monsters so fast that your gunna need a looting partner lol. Till you get to boss fights then your still a valuble member of a team.

Last edited:

Borgsson

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Got my disco to 90.1 now which is cool just need to push it to GM then look for scrolls (out of my price range?)
Having some issues though, managed to locate a 3.9GD, cleared the area, went to stable pet, came back and some guys were killing him, asked them to leave it if possible, they killed it anyway.
Bleh, so went to Destard and found a 3.4, same deal, the same guys showed up and killed him. OUt of desperation I tames the next one I came across....a 2.5

As for killing off the bad ones, any clue on the best way to do this? My 4.5 drag gets chewed out by the weakest of the GDs even with me constantly vetting. Cant discord it as im too low atm?

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Got my disco to 90.1 now which is cool just need to push it to GM then look for scrolls (out of my price range?)
Having some issues though, managed to locate a 3.9GD, cleared the area, went to stable pet, came back and some guys were killing him, asked them to leave it if possible, they killed it anyway.
Bleh, so went to Destard and found a 3.4, same deal, the same guys showed up and killed him. OUt of desperation I tames the next one I came across....a 2.5

As for killing off the bad ones, any clue on the best way to do this? My 4.5 drag gets chewed out by the weakest of the GDs even with me constantly vetting. Cant discord it as im too low atm?
You can always tame a random GD and use it to clear spawn until you find the one you like. Lure the one you want away then return and release the loaner and go tame your good one. It is a bit of work but helps if you don't have someone around to help you clear out lower end ones.

Borgsson

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
You can always tame a random GD and use it to clear spawn until you find the one you like. Lure the one you want away then return and release the loaner and go tame your good one. It is a bit of work but helps if you don't have someone around to help you clear out lower end ones.
Cheers matey, I found that with some careful planning, and if I get one alone, my normal dragon can take them, with constant vetting. Im now happy enough to be on the hunt for a decent one.
Is it worth getting a decent Rune Beetle to pair with my Mare? Or should I not bother and just get a Cu now?

Last edited:

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
A lot depends on your play style. I miss my old pets so I still take them out and fight things on their level or a little bit higher. There is nothing like living on the seat of your pants vetting for your pets life. Hit up the spawns that you want and take out the pets that you want. You will find your bank filled and over flowing again soon and won't need to fight only high end things. I take out my pair of fire steeds, I also take out my pair of bakes or a bake/rune combo. I also take my white wyrm and dragons out. My treasure hunter loves to do level 5 and below with his dragon or white wyrm for old times sake. :)

Borgsson

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Thanks for all the advice guys, managed to finally tame a 4.0 greater dragon :D Im over the moon, got worried once the tame succeeded since another GD and regular Drag aggroed as I was trying to gate, but in the end, we won! Now to bond it, train it and figure out what to kill :D

Over the moon! (Been trying to tame this one drag for about 90 mins :D :D )

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Congrats!! I am glad it worked out for you and congrats on your new 4.0 GD!!