• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(Question) Returning player with questions!

A

Alannah

I'm thinking about giving UO another try. I started playing in early 1998, back before there were any European servers and then moved to Drachenfels. I briefly returned in 2010, but was discouraged because Drachenfels had become so empty.

So I'm thinking about moving to Europa. I've also considered Atlantic which I've read is the most active shard, but Atlantic always has those events when I'm asleep.

Anyway, what's the situation like on Europa? Can you still find people to play with? Are there people at the bank?

Is running a shop on Europa worth it? I remember that I absolutely loved my little shop back when I last played.

How hard is it to find a spot for a house?

Maleachi

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm thinking about giving UO another try. I started playing in early 1998, back before there were any European servers and then moved to Drachenfels. I briefly returned in 2010, but was discouraged because Drachenfels had become so empty.

So I'm thinking about moving to Europa. I've also considered Atlantic which I've read is the most active shard, but Atlantic always has those events when I'm asleep.

Anyway, what's the situation like on Europa? Can you still find people to play with? Are there people at the bank?

Is running a shop on Europa worth it? I remember that I absolutely loved my little shop back when I last played.

How hard is it to find a spot for a house?
Hello Alannah! And welcome back! :D

To answer your questions, firstly, there are plenty people still to play with.
Europa is by far not as active as Atlantic but there are quite a few guilds that actively play, both PvM and PvP.

The banks aren't used as much as in the past since they introduced global chat. So you won't see a crowd of 20-30 players standing at the bank.
There are generally around 10 players at Luna bank though.

Finding a house spot should be easy enough. The shard is full of empty spaces so even finding an 18x18 shouldnt be too difficult.

And then lastly, about the shop... The main shopping area is Luna naturally, mainly cause of "illegal" sites. These sites include west umbra road and zento.
Outside these areas you can run a shop really well, but you have to advertise plenty! Gating, dropping runes... etc etc.

Hopefully I have answered your questions the way you hoped. :)
Perhaps we will speak ingame soon!

Kind regards, Maleachi

K

Kayne

Lots of shops still run well on Europa - even those outside Luna. Not sure what Maleachi is referring to when he says Umbra road is illegal...

Plenty guilds around for pvm and pvp. Still a few RP ones around too

Aurelius

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lots of shops still run well on Europa - even those outside Luna. Not sure what Maleachi is referring to when he says Umbra road is illegal...
Certain websites that catalogue the content of shops used to just cover Luna, but they expanded to cover Tokuno and a fair length of Umbra road - it's not the road, or the shops, that are 'illegal', it's the websites that use techniques EA define as 'illegal' to build their listings of what is on sale that are the problem.

Maleachi

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you for your clear explenation Aurelius... Couldn't have put it any better myself. :)

K

Kayne

Aha thank you that makes much more sense now. I hadnt realised this had happened.

A

Alannah

Thank you all!

I've decided to give Europa a try.

And are there any guilds that accept a returning player?

I have both a tamer with a greater dragon and a crafter who is a legendary blacksmith and tailor.

A

Alannah

By the way, I managed to place a house in Zento!

Does that seem like an okay location for a small shop?

Maleachi

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It sseems like you are very lucky to be able to place a house there.
Not often does a spot in Zento become vacant.

It looks like you can make it a bit bigger though if you ask me!
And most likely, you can run a fine shop there! ;)

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you hit up Cailleach, who moderates these boards, she should be able to put you in touch with one of the guilds in our broad range of alliances; you'll find Player Versus Monster, Player Versus Player and Player Versus Pants guilds amongst us!

Use General Chat often, and you'll get a sense of what is happening in the wider world, and of course Stratics here! I always recommend www.uoguide.com for a second source of information too.

Regarding the illegal sites, I believe using them to locate items is not likely to cause legal issues for your account; but buying items from them for Real Cash is against the Terms of Service and thus is.

K

Kayne

If you hit up Cailleach, who moderates these boards, she should be able to put you in touch with one of the guilds in our broad range of alliances; you'll find Player Versus Monster, Player Versus Player and Player Versus Pants guilds amongst us!
ROFL Players versus pants! I love it.

Adol is right, though you can also hit me up for the very same information