• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Returning player; What do I do now?

Xavier_WER

Visitor
So got my mage up to 7x; magery, med, eval int, resist, mysticism, spellweaving, focus
I'll probably be changing out a few of the skills at time goes on. But while im working on a sampire... What do I do on my mage?

Haven't really played since AOS. And now I got two new spellbooks to learn.

Just looking for some fun soloable pvm with worthwhile loot.
I've been running around stygian abyss abit trying out the mini champ spawns, but I don't even know what sort of rotation I should be running with 96 spells to choose from. Rising colossus seems to be a favourite among folks.

So anyone got any tips or guides? been reading whatever I come across on UOguide

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Go do some spawns and get some scrolls...7xGM was so uhhh...*forgets year*.......*awkward silence**..

:pirate:

Tamais

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
My mage has the same skills as yours. The mini spawns are good for gold and resources(inbuing ingredients. I usually hunt silver serpents,illsh jukas, and play around in shame.

Spellweaving is limited since getting a level 6 foucus can be hard. The spells i use are: gift of renewal, attument, arcane empowerment, wild fire, and word of death.

Mage- I use protection, energy bolts, evs, greater heal and cure, and invisablity

Mystism - I always have a healing stone. Other spells are: Stone form, bombard. Nether cyclone, and rcs.

If in a dangerous area, i use the gift of renewal, attument, and empowerment. If i have a lot of spawn i will use evs instead of an rc. That way i can spread them out. Harder critters or small spawns the rc. Then invis.

My recommendation is to play around until you find what works best for you as there are so many choices. I do recommend you get use to using summons such as earth elementals, pixes, imps, or a humaniod you have charmed. They are needed for events in guard zones.

Hope this helps a little, always feel free to pm me

Last edited:

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Go do some spawns and get some scrolls...7xGM was so uhhh...*forgets year*.......*awkward silence**..

Did you not see that he has spellweaving so I am almost %100 sure he/she already knows about Power Scrolls

Xavier_WER

Visitor
I do know about power scrolls. But right now I just want to actually play the game :)

So im holding off on the ps investment, might grab some cheap 110's meanwhile

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Did you not see that he has spellweaving so I am almost %100 sure he/she already knows about Power Scrolls
If I couldnt remember the year they came out, how can you expect me to also remember that SW came in at the same time ?

Xavier_WER

Visitor
interesting fact, champion spawns were around long before powerscrolls. Added somewhere around Third dawn with the introduction of ilshenar. They were called "evil in a can" and was sort of a secret, there weren't any altars that showed the progression and the only real reward was the titles you could earn

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
interesting fact, champion spawns were around long before powerscrolls. Added somewhere around Third dawn with the introduction of ilshenar. They were called "evil in a can" and was sort of a secret, there weren't any altars that showed the progression and the only real reward was the titles you could earn

This is true, the problem is that no one wanted to grind out a spawn for a title.

Then I believe it was FieryIce that introduced powerscrolls to the equation.

Xavier_WER

Visitor
This is true, the problem is that no one wanted to grind out a spawn for a title.

Then I believe it was FieryIce that introduced powerscrolls to the equation.
Aye. But the problem with publish 16 powerscrolls was that skills weren't balanced at all. 6x120 mages would just steamroll over any opponent in pvp.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Aye. But the problem with publish 16 powerscrolls was that skills weren't balanced at all. 6x120 mages would just steamroll over any opponent in pvp.

Yeah they didn't have the skills scaled correctly, which I can understand trying to move the cap from 100 to 120 with 3 intervals in between.

I think they're pretty close now,
But things like meditation at 120 should never fail.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

I recall when PS came and magery went downhill.... It caused anyone with GM magery to suddenly fizzle anything 8th circle and to never be able to cast a gate when need be anymore... it's still that way now... it's like they didn't add any power to skills they just stretched them out to 120 so what you were at GM was now like you were at 85 or 90... So you almost had to go to 120 to be what you were at GM.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
mysticism, spellweaving
From mysticism also try area sleep. It will most of the time help you more than invis. Also works on many bosses to break aggro on you / let them focus on the RC. Try to heal with cleansing winds, but keep arch cure ready for the fierce poison. Bombard is a solid physical damage spell, not quite a Flamestrike but easy on par with ebolts. Stone form comes in handy for poison mobs, like Dreadhorn.

For spellweaving I can obviously suggest Gift of life (self-rez) and word of death. Also essence of wind for good cold area damage. And reaper form for more spell damage.

The area sleep even saved me sorry *** from fel raids here and there :D

So much for a start ..

Last edited:

Alex"Drake Iron Heart"CS

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
I do know about power scrolls. But right now I just want to actually play the game :)

So im holding off on the ps investment, might grab some cheap 110's meanwhile

Get Powerscrolls, being GM in magic skills is useless, you will fizzle the high end spells.
Depending your shard they should not be too expensive
RC and EVs your best friends.