• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Returning player seeking groups, ale, and fun

4th3ist

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hello everyone, after a good several years of absence (with the expection of reactivating two or three times for one month to peek in and go 'oh hello everyone!') I've decided to make a serious return to Britannia. After learning that Darkfall won't be released until early 2009 (and this is only European servers, although americans are welcome to play) I've decided that I can't curb the MMO itch any longer. I already made a thread on my home shard of Catskills, but it wasn't really well recieved (well, rather it wasn't recieved at all).

I've already been tinkering around by myself soloing various old and new locations alike trying to get my feel back for the game the last few days. I've spent most of the 4mil I had left on my account on customizing myself a quaint little house in Tram and probably died 100 times before I got my feel back for the most part. I'm not looking for hand-me-downs or gold from anyone. In fact, I will refuse any of that sort of thing. What I really need help with is just some good fun people that can squeeze me into some groups.

Since I've been playing again I've come to the conclusion that mostly everyone is antisocial or doesn't read local chat... I've litteraly not had one person speak a single word to me in my several hours of playtime now. Its really frustrating. If I wanted a solo experience I'd reload Elder Scrolls IV.. Heh. I mostly play in the night although I squeeze some time in before work some days (I work in the afternoon to late night).

If anyone wants to lend me an ear and a hand that'd be great because I'm full of questions on how things work now. I've browsed through stratics quite a bit, but it really is tedious to search down the little tid-bits of info I want to know here. Often it is out-dated or not there at all. So please, some help a returning vet to get back on the right track! Thanks!

J

JosephineBaja

Sorry you haven't been able to find anyone to help! I'm not on Catskills, but if I were, I surely would have talked to you. :)

I've never been on Catskills, but I assume it's less active than my own shard, Baja. I don't hear much about Catskills.

Some shards seem friendlier than others too.

Good luck. What questions did you have?

Duskofdead

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have noticed the antisocial element as well. Not nearly as bad as you got it, though. I did have players come and at least give me items and tell me welcome back to the game. (The "young" title above my head probably helped; I coudln't remember my old account info and honestly i don't think it exists anymore anyway, it's been dead five or six years.) But I did have to strike up most conversations first.

Cats sounds pretty dead, but honestly, I'd be lying to you if I told you I'd seen more than 12 people in Luna and a combined 4-5 people in the whole rest of the world since coming back.

I'm from Napa Valley, I have no idea how empty or full that shard is, but it was one of the original home shards, not as tightly packed or obnoxious as the popular PvP/E Coast ones like Great Lakes or Chessy, but still, we used to be crowded. Looks beyond shanty town now... looks more like a 99.6% death rate epidemic went through.

Q

Quinn1969

not as tightly packed or obnoxious as the popular PvP/E Coast ones like Great Lakes or Chessy, .

C'mon...... Dusk...way to sling double whopper with cheese on people. "obnoxious"? "tightly packed"? Both wrong statements. I can't speak for Chessy but I can for GL because I'm on that shard. I like the shard because it is social. Yes there are some real "obnoxious" people there as I"m sure there are on Napa as well. I'm completly offended because I do go out of my way to help people. Be them new or not. If I know how to do something and someone else doesn't I, as well as my fellow Guildmates are more than happy to help. That's half the fun of playing this game is learning and then teaching what you have learned.

4th...welcome back to the game nonetheless. If you ever want to come to GL let me know and I'll be more than happy to help you out or make sure you have the help you need to get your questions answered. You are more than welcome to PM me as well. If I don't have the answer I'll find someone who does. :)

Duskofdead

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
C'mon...... Dusk...way to sling double whopper with cheese on people. "obnoxious"? "tightly packed"? Both wrong statements. I can't speak for Chessy but I can for GL because I'm on that shard. I like the shard because it is social. Yes there are some real "obnoxious" people there as I"m sure there are on Napa as well. I'm completly offended because I do go out of my way to help people. Be them new or not. If I know how to do something and someone else doesn't I, as well as my fellow Guildmates are more than happy to help. That's half the fun of playing this game is learning and then teaching what you have learned.

4th...welcome back to the game nonetheless. If you ever want to come to GL let me know and I'll be more than happy to help you out or make sure you have the help you need to get your questions answered. You are more than welcome to PM me as well. If I don't have the answer I'll find someone who does. :)
Did you play back in the early portions of the game, where at points they even blocked people from making new chars on those shards? If not, then please don't accuse me of baseless "slinging." :)

It was packed, and part of the reason was because a lot of the snobbier PvP guilds were there, and of course everyone's 11 year old brother wanted to join THAT shard to be one of the big PvP guys. That's just the way things were back in those days. You can even go on the Napa Valley shard forum here right now and find a thread with someone sneering at how they can destroy anyone on Napa Valley because we're a wuss server. That's the mentality we used to get all the time back when the game was in its peak from Chessy and Great Lakes and a few of the others with big PvP guild presences.

I'm sure there are... some... nice people on those shards. But UO losing what 60% of its subscribers since I left I'm sure helped release a lot of the jerks. That doesn't mean they weren't there. ;)

Q

Quinn1969

I'm sure there are... some... nice people on those shards. But UO losing what 60% of its subscribers since I left I'm sure helped release a lot of the jerks. That doesn't mean they weren't there. ;)
There will always be jerks everywhere we go. I didn't want to be lumped into the "jerk GL shard" because I can say that most (not all by far! *cough-insert your favorite troller here-cough*) people are friendly. I was speaking of now, not back in the day because I didn't play back then. :hug:

Duskofdead

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There will always be jerks everywhere we go. I didn't want to be lumped into the "jerk GL shard" because I can say that most (not all by far! *cough-insert your favorite troller here-cough*) people are friendly. I was speaking of now, not back in the day because I didn't play back then. :hug:
Well to make a long story short if you have ever played WOW, or overheard guys even talking about it.... people always treated Napa like an "RP server" and Chessy/GL/Atlantic as a "PvP" server. If that illustrates things at all. ;)

Like oh... yeah... go play with the 45 year old cat ladies on Napa.

Funny, there was so much community to UO back then we actually had rivalries like that. ;)

R

ragnartheawful

I miss T2A-era communities. I had to start a new account since my 10 years old account was gone. A few people over on Chesapeake have been very nice and accepting of an old vet, but I've barely seen or spoken to anybody. It's really like a solo game in a world that keeps going. I fear I may be shard hopping until I find a nice community. I do say, though, that you have to give it at least a month of not doing the same thing every day to find the right people. Just because they don't hang by the three dungeons and five towns that I frequent doesn't mean they're not out there.

What servers are you all playing on? Maybe we can join on a central server and then we will have a small group. More than solo :p

4th3ist

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, I'm on Catskills. I already have a two side by side 12x12 homes established on the opposite side of the mountain entrance to destard, and a bard that can turn me good gold when I need it. So I wasn't really asking anyone for freebies. I just want people to adventure with honestly.. I opened one of my other accounts as well so that my roomate and/or girlfriend could give this old game a shot but neither of them could sit down and play as of yet.

It's just not fun playing single player UO for me. Years ago I could have a blast running around soloing because I'd at least see other people while doing so. But honestly now I don't even see anyone, ever.. Every dungeon I've been to (And I mean basically every single one I can access) has been devoid of anyone. If you want to make a character on Catskills I'd be more then glad to get you started with what I can though.

Q

Quinn1969

Hey you guys...."come to the dark siiiiide". Shard hop on over and I can assure you there are plenty of people on GL. Gathering of the guilds is this Sunday most of the guilds will be well represented. If ya need more info let me know.